Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hydromatic Question(Please Help)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzz bomb, Dec 11, 2007.

1. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

I have a 53 poncho with a hydromatic tranny, My first question is I know where the fill plug is(or at least I think thats it up top), but I cant seem to find the drain plug! it might be right in front of my face but I cant see it. And how do I know where the fill line is, or do I stop when it fills over like on the rear end. Also I want to use Lucas tranny treatment but will this cause problems down the road with swelling of my seals. Theese questions might sound newbie lame but I've never had a hydromatic, Thank's in advance fellas.

Buzz Bomb

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Only two ways on the old hydros: If it has a long fill/check tube, then that tube screws into the pan and is unscrewed to drain the trans. Otherwise it has a fill/check stick on the top of the trans and is only accessable through the floor board of the car/truck, and should have a drain plug in the pan. I gave all my race prepped hydros ( 2 ) and extra parts away years ago in a fit of stupidity and have regretted it ever since. But that's another story, can anyone top it? BUTCH.

3. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Thank's Butch, Any takers on the Lucas tranny treatment?
    I will take a look tonight again, but I did'nt see a filler tube last time I checked.
    Also is there some sort of adapter for a turbo 350 for the ponch.
    Thank's again

Buzz Bomb

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

the drain pug is on the rear of the pan,there's also a drain plug in the torus cover (what most people mistakenly call the torque converter),make sure you use a six-point socket to get that one out.
    i haven't used Lucas ,but i've beeen having good results with Trans-X in my car ('54 Olds) for the last 8-9 years,and my brother's Hudson for the last 3-4 years.

5. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Thank's for the replys, I will get on it and take care of it tomorrow.
    And i will give the trans x a try as well, once again thank's fellas.

Buzz Bomb