Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods hydraulic throwout bearing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LKPar1270, Mar 22, 2011.

1. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

Ok, so I've scrapped the flathead and bought a nice '63 289 for the A. I am going to mate it to a T-5 out of an '89 S-10. I am totally unfamiliar with the hydraulic throwout bearings, but think this is the way to go. Any advice on what bearing to buy and process to install in this combo?
    Thanks

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Mccloud. More expensive and worth it.

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been using a stock setup from 60-61 Ford Econoline since 1962, brackets holding swinging pedals & whole 9 yds. works great, with both master cyls. on firewall & build your own bracket at bottom to push slave cyl. using 3/8 threaded bolt for adjustment purposes.

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a pix.--------Don

Attached Files:

5. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

This looks good Don. I was thinking about putting the master cylinders under the floor, but I've decided to use early '60s Ford masters for both the brakes and clutch with hanging pedals, similar to what you've done. Still not sure about adapting the hydraulic throwout bearing, I've never worked with one, need to see one in operation I guess.

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would use a slave cyl instead.. If something goes wrong with the hydraulic throw out bearing, you're have to pull the trans.. Just my thoughts..........

7. I've installed a McLeod (McCloud) on a SBF. Bolts on to the transmission replacing the front bearing retainer.
    Measure from the back of the bell housing to the pressure plate fingers to get the correct length piston (free exchange).
    Feed -3 lines through the clutch fork hole as you install the transmission, bleed as you would a brake system.
    Simple, uncluttered, works great!
    Self-adjusts.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  8. deuce354

deuce354

I have had a few of these on my coupe. The biggest problem with them are when you have to adjust the clutch or when they leak. To adjust the clutch you have to remove the transmission witch is a PITA. Mine leaked in Charlotte, Nc and i had to drive it to Pittsburgh with the clutch pedal laying on the floor. After That i put a external slave cylinder on it and have had no trouble since. It is worth the extra effort to put a slave cylinder on it now, when you building , instead of trying to add it on later

9. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you use an after market hydraulic throw out bearing (McLoed, Tilton, Howe etc.), or even a slave, with a stock master - you may have to do some mods to the master to get it to perform and live as expected. It's common for the hydraulic bearing to be designed to use either a 3/4" or 7/8" bore master based on the expected peddel ratio and needed operating pressure. I used a Tilton bearing and a early 60's Chevy pickup master. The bearing needed a 3/4" bore to work as designed, and the master was 1". I sent the master to Serria Brake and they sleeved the clutch side of the master down to 3/4" and all was good.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've used my QuarterMaster T/O for well over a hundred thousnad miles with out a hitch... I do use a Wilwood 7/8" master too.

11. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

I ended up using an external slave from Speedway. With the 1 inch bore master (early Ford brake master) the pedal pressure was very high. I changed the pivit point on the pedal and that improved quite a bit. Still a little stiff for my wife, I may sleeve the master later if it's a problem.

Attached Files:

12. gtowagon

gtowagon

I have used the McLeod hydraulic throw out bearings on a couple past projects with Muncie transmissions and have one forget current build. I have never had a problem with any of them in years of service as mentioned already just make sure you have your measurements correct and you should not have a problem

13. PackardV8

PackardV8

FWIW, it's the hydraulic throwout bearing for all my builds. I've used the McLeod, but on the last one, a Packard V8 with T85 3-speed OD, I used an OEM GM pickup unit and it was 1/4 the price and easier to set up besides.

jack vines

14. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

I do like the cable operated throw out idea, wish I'd seen it before.

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

10,000,000 5.0 Mustangs can't be wrong...lol
    Seriously though,that cable is a simple,inexpensive way to go,plus it has the added benefit of still allowing you clutch foot some direct input from the clutch as it's engaging.That alone would be a big deal for me.

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I had the Willwodd clutch master cylinder score, and turn the fluid into, look like anti seize mud. Took it apart and shrunk a stainlees sleeve for it.

Ago

17. vega1

vega1

I have a hydraulic throw out bearing setup works great the ones that say they are junk and this and that probably didn't set them up correctly to begin with if you read the instruction set them up with proper clearance they work excellent

18. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

LKPar, have you run this setup? It looks to me like the slave cylinder is on the wrong side of the clutch arm. It needs to push towards the rear.

19. willymakeit

willymakeit

That was worth everything. Just solved a dilemma I was having about a project I'm working on. Tham
    Nks

20. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

yeah, I'm running it now, works fine. I had the same thoughts when I put it on, but that's the only way the supplied ends on the slave worked for me. I thought it odd that the slave actually moved with the throw out arm instead of being anchored. By the way, this slave doesn't push, it pulls.

21. 3030

Have one in the A from Speedway and it works fine. I'm always wondering when it's going to go bad though,so far so good. When I built the 34 everything is mechanical, a lot less to worry about. Jim

22. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

I agree. I'll never have another Hyd throwout bearing. Slave cyl. is much better. If you have a leak it's external. Alot easier to fix out on the road. I used this from Novac. Includes bracket, slave cyl, throwout arm. Everything in the pic except bell housing. 200 bucks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  23. Drive Em

Drive Em

The Speedway, Ram, Southwest Speed, Howe and other hydraulic bearings work great if they are set up properly, and if the bellhousing is properly indexed. (ask me how I know) I always hear the comment about how if you need ago service the hydraulic throw out bearing, that the tranny will need to come out. Well if you have a regular throw out bearing and the bearing goes bad, guess what, the tranny needs to come out as well. The problem with cables is that they need to be away from exhaust heat as the teflon inside the cable will melt. (ask me how I know) Choose the best setup that you can live with because none of them are perfect.

24. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a Howe from Speedway behind a small block wiht a T5. Loved it. The only way to go in my opinion.