Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hydraulic brake and clutch advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deere boy, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Deere boy

Deere boy

I built this speedster using as many John Deere parts as possible including the engine and clutch, though the axles are model A. The linkage I built to the rear brakes (the only ones it has) and the clutch are very bad. I was thinking of getting a hydraulic brake/clutch pedal kit from Speedway and converting them both. My question is, what is the best/easiest way to convert the model A rear axle to hydraulic brakes? Keep in mind that I am not terribly bright or skilled, so as much "plug and play" as possible would be preferred.
    I would ask this on a model A board, but they would try to convince me to work with the mechanical. speedster 3:4.jpg

2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Wow.....thats a first for me, is it factory or something you made yourself?
    [​IMG]

3. Deere boy

Deere boy

Made myself. John Deere didn't build cars.

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hydraulic brakes on an "A" rear end can be a bit of a problem as the wheel cylinder hose hook up and the spring perch are prone to interference with each other. Have seen pics here on HAMB where the backing plates were inveerted so the wheel cylinders were at the bottom, but I've never personally tried it.
    As for the clutch, I purchased my Hiboy roadster as a "mocked up" body/chassis project that had stalled out. It was setup with a hydraulic master/slave with a mech fork and TO brg. so I left it that way as I worked to complete the car. And when completed it didn't work worth a damn! After pulling that heavy Ford toploader more than once trying different things till I finally gave up and installed a McLeod integral cylinder and TO brg. It works, but was an expensive change that also requires pulling that toploader again if and when it needs attention/adjustment. If I had it to do over again, while the frame was unpainted and the body off I would have rigged up a mechanical TO brg.
    s