Register now to get rid of these ads!

HVLP Turbine Paint Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TxF100, Nov 9, 2010.

1. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

You got it! My current stable includes an Apollo 7500, a Sicmo, and a Sprayfine. I used to have a Fuji and a Graco Edge. I am hoping to put these up against the latest Graco, Fuji, Lemmer, and a neat looking budget import. Once I know what I will be testing, I will lay out the test plan and go from there.

2. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

because the air is warm and dry I use a slow reducer

3. dubie

dubie

i always use a slow or medium reducer with a turbine. The air coming from the gun gets to be pretty warm and it does assist in drying the paint faster so it's necessary to slow down the cure time especially when dealing with a flattened paint

4. txturbo

txturbo

Everything works the same as long as you choose the right tip for the material. Only difference is you use a slower reducer sometimes. All types of paint work with a turbine system. Some of the variables are eliminated such as air pressure, water/oil contamination. Less to worry about just makes it easier to use.

5. ken1939

ken1939

Late to the party, but I did paint my 32 Ute with one, outside no less. I have painted 3 cars with the TP Tools Unit. I like it a lot. You have to buy the better guns. Follow the instructions with the paint you get. I will say testing to see if you need to think the paint out a lil to get a less orange peel look it big. I have shot solid colors for two, the current job is Myan Gold Metallic and has a different solid component.

Its good with hotrod primer 1.8 tip, my experiences with Upol and such were mixed reviews.

You do not have to worry about water in the paint for sure.

I felt it was a good purchase.

6. ken1939

ken1939

Not for Water Based. You can shoot anything but that with the TP System. They also have their own version of decups with it now.

7. Why no water based? Just curious.

8. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

The TP guns (most) have bare aluminum parts touching the paint, so corrosion is a factor. It will shoot it, but not last long. Either anodized aluminum or better yet stainless wetted parts are mandatory.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So send TP tools a message explaining the change they should make :D

10. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

I think their newest model might be hard anodized. Part of my review of guns will include what materials each one is rated for.

11. Is there a reason the TP tools units seem so large? Most of the other makes seem to be fairly compact where as the TP tool unit seems to be in a rather large wheeled box. Is this juts for convenience as I would think it would add a fair amount to shipping costs which are already ridiculous for us in Canada.

12. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Great thread. I am old school and had never really considered a turbine system until now. Subscribed.

13. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

To be honest I have no idea why the TP turbines are so large. If you are up in Canada I would look to Fuji or Lemmer first.....

Looks like 3m is on board with the review with their popular Accuspray system. Im gathering up all the needed bits and pieces, its going to take a lil time to pull it all together ( I wish I was retired ).

14. Thanks the Fuji systems are actually available locally through a tool distributor and fairly reasonably priced. I look forward to your review.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I know the TP systems are good, I'm wondering if the Fuji systems are as good.

I will have to check them out again, it seems to me that the TP were better in what the offered in terms of hose lengths and other parts and pieces to work with their systems.

16. Larry check out busybeetools they have a pretty good selection of Fuji stuff and are in the West end.
    http://www.busybeetools.com/search.php?search_query=HVLP&x=0&y=0

They come with a 25 foot hose and offer two different gun types gravity or siphon. You can buy extra hose as well and it looks like they offer 6 different air cap configurations. I also only see two stage units on TP tools website where as the Fuji's can be had in a three and four stage as well.

17. ken1939

ken1939

Water Based guns are designed for the difference in the water based paints vs the solvent based paints. Special needles, flow rates etc.

Most people are shooting some kind of solvent paint, mainly if you have to clear coat water base you are not saving much.

TP is not addressing them yet. I know nothing about the TP Guns and anodized that cause any problems.

18. Although this is true to some extent there were tons of guys in Canada that used their solvent based guns to spray water when the conversions happened up here with zero issues other than the afore mentioned corrosion issues. Maybe the turbine guns are different but I know it was not an issue for conventional HVLP guns.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm going to spray SS urethane from TCP Global when I get to it eventually so I'm not worried about water based problems :)

I'll check out Busy Bee.

20. HAHA I am spraying lacquer so I am not concerned either;):D. Let me know when you are starting body work and I can get you some products.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

22. Do they have other guns? Siphon feed guns are a pain in the ass IMO.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I don't see anything on their website. I imagine you could use a better gun from someone else with their system.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I found a Sprayfine gravity feed gun listed on flea bay for $139.00.

Attached Files:

25. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Hey Guys...
    Ok so the guns on the list so far:

1-Apollo 7500T Atomizer
    2-Sicmo (American Turbine etc)
    3-Sprayfine
    4-Accuspray 10
    5-Graco Edge
    6-Fuji T series (in the works)

As for turbines.....they all use either a Ametek or Electromotor multistage pump that's more commonly used in the central vac industry, and in themselves are quite inexpensive (under $100). Personally I see no reason to spend a big wad of cash for a metal box and some filters. In fact if you have any woodworking skills, a nice plywood enclousure can be built on the cheap. The Turbine Products turbine is probably the best value out there. Hoses can be kind of expensive too, and some are better than others. The best kept secret amongst the turbine guys is Tuff-Guard garden hose for use as the air hose. Its about 1/2 the price and holds up fine ( in fact its the same hose as some HVLP's). So say $325 for a turbine, $30 for a hose.....just need the best bang for the buck gun now. Stay tuned for the side by side gun review!

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So in the end we can do a do it yourself home built HVLP turbine thread and save even more $ :D
    Have to like that :)

27. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Well why not right? If Ive got $500 to spend do I buy a lower end setup that's complete, or buy a top of the line gun and make my own turbine, plus have some money left for extra nozzles and air caps? Hmmmm?
    Later!

28. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fine Woodworking magazine had an article several years ago about building an HVLP turbine, was simply an Amtek motor in a plywood box, the builder seemed happy with the results. The whole setup with the exception of the sprayguns seems very simple to copy.

29. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I guess I should read the article, but how does the DIY turbine builder get the 3 or 4-stage setup that is suggested for spraying automotive paints?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. You can buy 3 or 4 stage vacuum turbines. Google Aemtek Lamb and you will find lots of options. What I did find with a little bit of research is you want a bypass style not a flow through style or they get too hot.