Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst Ram Rod Shifter on a Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Anyone ever put a Hurst Ram Rod Shifter on a Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed?
    <O:p</O:p
    We have an old Doug Nash 5 speed with a Hurst H pattern shifter and were thinking about putting a Hurst Ram Rod Shifter on it. I realize it’s a 4 speed shifter with separate reverse lever, but was hoping to use the reverse shifter for 5<SUP>th</SUP> and reverse.
    I thought I’d ask to see if any had gone down that path before I started.

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Waiting for a reply to this one as I'm in the same boat. If anyone has any information coujld you post some pictures along with a description.

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

With a separate reverse control, it ought to work; There are 4 speeds connected to 3 speed column shifters, and reverse has it's own control.

Happy Roddin'

4TTRUK

4. I have a Don Long vertical gate shifter in a non HAMB friendly pro street car. It takes a little getting used to on the down shifts but it works great on upshifts.
    It's on a Doug Nash Competition 5-Speed so there are dog rings not synchro's.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I forgot.... A heavy duty cable mechanism will work, mounted under the dash, and connected to the reverse lever .

4TTRUK

6. Use a "Long" shifter specific to the Richmond/Nash trans. You should be able to pic one up on ebay/craigslist/racingjunk.com/swapmeet etc. For $150-$200.

7. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

That's not how your supposed to do it. Please get a proper shifter.

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Guess he's going to forward you the cash.

9. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Part of the problem is nostalgia (although buying a shifter designed for a Doug Nash would make good sense). :eek:
    Back in the 70’s my daily driver was an off topic car with a BBC, M22 and a Hurst Ram Rod shifter (with the required massive hole cut in the trans tunnel covered by a Hurst Super Boot.)
    Now that I’m older, but not smarter, I’m thinking about installing one again. But I want to use the 5 speed so I can cruise highway speeds at lower rpm.

10. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Just checking one more time, has anyone done this?