Register now to get rid of these ads!

hunnert car pileup quality of cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbag, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewislynn

lewislynn

So no cars with alternators, seat belts, turn signals, MIG or TIG welds or plasma cuts?

2. It's 1/10 of a TOUSUNT, or 8.3 twelve packs.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

First off this is coming from a disgruntled, opinionated. ornery, pissed off 65 year old curmudgen that for the most part is satisfied with very little about the current state of everything in this country. That said, this show is currently the only one that I will not miss unless I'm on the other side of the grass. After all of these years I've gone to and participated in about every kind of automotive event that man has created.
    As far as the "rat rods" are concerned has anyone noticed the evolution of the breed? Unquestionably, there are still the thrown together piles of shit, but unless your residing under a rock you have to of noticed the "ubgrading" that's been going on? Rough cars from previous years have undergone a refining, like finished welds, floors where non existed before, Paint replacing rust, exposed driveshafts and no brakes being updated to safer standards. I suspected that would happen in time and it's refreshing to see it happen. To draw a parallel look at some of the Bonneville cars from the late 40's and early 50's and compare them to the refined race cars that are the norm today.
    So, before this turns into a novel, if you were happy you participated or just spectated I suggest you return next year. IMO, it's improved every year I've been there (every one but the first) and for such a small group of dedicated guys to keep on keeping on and pouring themselves into this event I can only say THANKS, I had a great time and I'll be back next year. To the naysayers, don't waste your time coming back, the rest of us won't miss you. Find something else to do. I'm sure you can find fault with whatever you choose to honor by your presence.

Frank

4. AMEN....well said!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have always felt that I you've got to ask the "what's traditional" question and you start taking things to litterally, then you just don't really get it. This argument has been around so long that's it's boring, contrived, and predictable.

Running a traditional hot rod show is tough. Running a large one is impossible - stuff will always get in that as a promoter you would rather not. As a bystander, you might think that you would run an impermeable filter at the gate, but I k ow you couldn't. It's impossible.

Rat rods are what they are. Cars built with no regard to continuity are what they are. If you want to focus on them, then the problem is yours.

I mean, I totally get why people would be frustrated... When a something like a stupid low model a sedan or a sport coupe with no top takes the spot of an actual traditional car at a show, it sucks. But rather than going after the show promoter, I think it would be more productive to educate the car owner.

6. YOU hit the nail on the head !!!!!!!!!!!

7. bluthndr

bluthndr

I stood at the north gate and watched them turn away, many, many, many cars that were driven there that did not fit the bill. Too stock, 4 door with out hubcaps, wrong wheels, or just "no". I bet he turned away 1 out of every 3 cars. I personally think they did a GREAT job picking the cars. Did a few slip through that maybe didn't belong, sure, but the Chrome Czars and volunteers doing what they do is what makes that show the best one all year.

Great show guys. For what it's worth, I did miss the swap meet this year.

8. oldapachechief1

oldapachechief1

I am new here and am really excited. Just picked up a 1961 Apache 10 panel. It runs, but the hydraulic clutch went out and I am looking for a left rear lower fender panel because the previous owner had it jacked up and the jack slipped and mashed that lower rear left area. Wood inside is immaculate. I have much work to do...but I am very motivated to cherry this baby out. As I look at all the members posting pics and comments of their vehicles...I humbly give to them my total respect for their efforts. Maybe some of them may give me some advice in the future... I will post a pic very soon,...oldapachechief1

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Maybe take 2 minutes out of your busy schedule and talk to any one of the Chrome Czars and get their take on it. PM Magnet, Django, Hellfish or any of the other guys. Let them explain why things are the way they are...

Look, I agree with you more than I disagree... but things work this way for a reason, not just to piss you off.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lol, thanks to the new guy for adding a little humor by getting his intro so far out of place... :D

11. Shoeboxeteer

Shoeboxeteer
    from midwest

Part of the reason I have lost ehthusiasm for the HCP is the entrance criteria. Repeatedly over time I have seen guys turned away because 'your_______is wrong', and at the same time see a car belonging to a friend of the gatekeeper's inside, violating the rule what the other guy just got turned away for. Originally, it was a "no billet, no post 1964" rule. Huh. In addition, there was a "no stock cars" rule, but then I'd see a past-junkyard-candidate (again, belonging to an organizer, volunteer, or buddy), a stock whatever- missing all chrome, trim, etc., with seats covered with Mexican blankets- roll right in. Right. If any of this was brought up at the gate, it was laughed off. Huh huh. There's some of that 50s attitude shit. Funny.

Crowd control is another matter. Traffic control cannot go on the way it has in recent years. Traffic was gridlocked not only up and down 47 most of the afternoon, plus heading westbound on I-80. The show has gotten too big for the Morris location, and apparently there is no organization/involvement with the Morris police department, which seems irresponsible. Time to move to a bigger location and/or one that can handle the traffic, or at least organize the damn thing. That way, more people can 'have a good time', and that the same time not piss off people that live in the area but don't wish to be involved. I feel sorry for any locals that had a job to get to in the vacinity of 47 yesterday. Perhaps it's time to move to the Joliet Rte 66 racetrack?

I think it's time to cut the "50s attitude" shit and get this show reorganized, perhaps utilizing the talents of someone that can run a show that has gotten too big for its cuffed jeans?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  12. studematt

studematt

You mean those ratrods or junk as most refer to them as. I couldn't agree with you more.

13. breederswife

breederswife

This is the first thread that I came across for the Pileup this year. My first thoughts are of the the 7 Czars who could not be a better group of guys than of course my own Kropdusters and Vagabonds;), and the one lady I respect more than any other, Miss DW, Catherine. These wonderful 8 people put on the biggest show in the Midwest with the absolute best mix of people I have ever met. I completely agree with Ryan and another Amen to Louverdude, education on the "Traditional" subject would have been more productive in this situation, but what I really want to say, that is totally out of my character is Shut the Fuck Up to those who bitch about anything! This is a great charity with great people, and as I had the unfortunate mishap of missing my first in 4 years, I would really like for them to have the 9th next year so that I can make it back for this great event. My husband, Breeder and 2 kids drove up and wouldn't have missed it. It really had nothing to do with the cars, that is just a bonus. Congrats on a great turnout. Sorry for the Czars and DW who simply ran out of room! What a great problem to have as it had to have been a great year for your charities. I missed all of you and look forward to seeing all of you there next year!

14. First time I've laughed, too, reading all the threads about the HCPU.

oldapachechief1 I thank you!! :D

15. 39 sledge

39 sledge
    from p.a.

man you guys got to get to any 2 of the showdowns that larry throws they are in my take far the best and ive been to the hunnert never again drove to far for 2 little.

16. Yeah, I ran the traffic duty last year from 11 to 1 and was almost ran into 5 times. Very stressful with people who could give two shits on what you were telling them or anyones safety . They would just try to push through. I would have to just basically lean on their hoods and dare them to run me over before I could get them to listen. The local police totally screwed over the Czars by not being there. They knew it was going to be very bad and just dropped the ball.I could'nt believe they were not handling traffic.As for all the stockers or ratrods or unsafe pieces of crap that got through it sure would be nice if we had designated areas for them. Put all the stockers in the parking area at the north end. Headscratchers in the back, ratrods at the south end. If this could be done (and thats a big if) then we could see all the nice traditional stuff together and just avoid the certain areas of cars we don't care for. Just my two cents

17. I think it's time people stopped bitchin' and badmouthin' the Czars ....unless you think you can do a better job :rolleyes: In that case, step on up and getcha some :cool:

18. pondo

pondo
    from Illinois

Since I got home last night I haven't seen one single post on her bitchin about warm beer!!!! Traffic was a mess agreed going back next year? Damn right

19. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

Amen!!!

20. interesting to see some of these people that are new to the hamb...1 or 2 posts bitching...who are you and why did you go to the show and what the fuck gives you the right to come here and complain? Do you think anyone gives a shit?

Another thing....all you people complaining about the 'stock' cars out there, since I kinda fall into this catagory please tell me what i need to do to my car to make you happy.

[​IMG]

O'yah.....before you open your mouth, please feel free to show your full on custom.....

this has also been at HCPU # 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8 and never had any issues with it being there

21. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I have to agree. Will I stop going to this show? No way!! But, this was my fourth Pileup, and I'll bet there were half as many cars at the first one I went to. However, there were very few "rat rods" at that one either. I understand that people are going to build what they like, and that is perfectly fine. I do not expect to see so many of them allowed into a show that is billed as a traditional hot rod and custom show. It is still something I look forward to attending all year, and I will continue to do so. I only hope that some changes are on the horizon, for the good of the show. Just my 2 cents.

22. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Isn't Pabst Blue Ribbon traditional? lmao

23. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

im hungry...i think ill make me a sandwich....yeah, that sounds pretty good! lil cheese, ketchup.....hmm.....maybe a pickle or 2! you know what, i may even get out a lil mustard......chips? yeah, i think ill have chips to!!! bbq sounds good! dr. pepper,,, yeah for sure with a dr. pepper!!!!

thats about as exiting as reading shit talkers post dontcha think?

24. Deadbird

Deadbird

Amen to that! The cops stepped in it big time! No complaints about the cars from me. Lots of great cars, some not so good. My only heartburn was the traffic control. Not the Czars fault on that though.

25. Deadbird

Deadbird

Uh, sign the title over to me? How's that?:D

Nice car dude..

26. F&J

F&J

27. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Sometimes, in fact most of the time, opinions need not be voiced.

What with this board lately? What's with all the constant complaining?

28. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

Since you're askin' ... looks like a nice enough old Chevy. Tires aren't working for me ... and looks like it could use a bath. Nice car though.

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

Don't like it? Start your own show.

30. Appleseed

Appleseed

At a glance, lowered, pinstriped, grille's got extra teeth (right?). Anyone who says that car's stock can suck it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.