Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson 262 electric fuel pump over mechanical pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hudson52sam, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

The fuel pump when the motor gets hotter it sucks less fuel, I've always had a back up electric fuel pump by the back wheel, so I bypassed the original mechanical fuel pump and just ran the electric pump, the filter stays half full even when full throttle, but I don't know if the electric pump will last long being on the whole time your driving??

2. squirrel

squirrel

Most electric fuel pumps are designed to be on the whole time you're driving.

But I doubt the fuel pump is the cause of your stalling problem....

3. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Had to flutter the gas before when I'd push in the clutch coming to a stop sign or it would stall, replaced the fuel line, adjusted and cleaned the carb And it still stalled , had hesitation and miss fired, seems its cleared completely up now that I bypassed the mechanical pump, hopefully one of those things was the reason for all those symptoms or I'm back to the drawing board for answers

4. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Problems back, went for a ride and it's pretty cold out and same shit again

5. squirrel

squirrel

MIght want to see if it's rich or lean...maybe if you adjust the idle mixture screws out half a turn, and drive it for a while. Then run them back to where they were, then in half a turn, and see what happens.

It's not easy for us to figure out what's wrong, since we can't see all the symptoms, like you can. All we can do is suggest what to look for.

Examples...if it "blubbers" and maybe puts out some black smoke, it's probably too rich (too much fuel). If it misses and hesitates or coughs, it might be lean (too little fuel). If it's just running rough, maybe the ignition advance is sticking and the timing is too far advanced? There are lots of possibilities.

Hudson52sam likes this.
  6. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Never thought to check the intake bolts all of em where loose, runs like brand new again , happy as hell