Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Look at that beautiful 81 year old luster...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438029642.380908.jpg
    Good'ol turtle wax and a dirty ass stinky sock. This is awesome! If you would told me 15 years ago when I painted cars for my day job that I would do this some day... I would have spit in your face! Not really but you get my point?
    It's going to be a damn shame to chop through this pristine well applied classy black tuxedo looking timeless finish.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm also in your camp and will be cheering you on, do what you've got to do to build what you want, after all you and your wife are the ones that have to be happy with it, not the rest of us. Best of luck accomplishing what you have set out to do.

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  3. Great advice ... now that all of that has sunk in ... I can't wait to see the sparks fly !!! That's part of the game here, isn't it ... learning through someone else's endeavors ... tears and pain or the yelp and cries of joy ? Yep ... sure is. Go ahead and cut that sum' b#tch !! Front row and center, I'll be here with the tissue and beer ! Yeeeeehawwwww !!!

4. Shine: just had a thought. You should consider making a cardboard template of the door opening on the '34 and compare it to the '32 cowl. May be some fun stuff happen there.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

While rummaging through side views of 3ws and 33-34s I believe that the doors leading edge is a at a more dramatic angle than the 32 suicide. The line flows from the bottom corner of the door to the top of the roof. It looks that clearly the 32 Pillars are steeper thus dictating my previous statement. Have to stick an angle finder on some(once you take chassis rake out of the equation) to see the difference. I don't think it's as simple as using a 3w lower cowl patches to get to the 32 hood cleanly.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Don't fret everybody. I'm not cutting on the car yet. I'm probably going to use this sedan cowl and remake the belt line to match up to the hood and doors. I cut out the vent just so I could lay it on there. I don't want to cut off the 34 firewall until I brace the body. Just planning and assessing right now. Now you got to squint your eyes to get an idee'r here.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438369228.155555.jpg
    The 34 cowl belt line is almost an 1/8 thinner than the 32 hood and the back of the 34 doors and quarters.
    I want use the sedan cowl because it worthless but it needs a lot of work. I cut off the front channel and support to repair it. I have the pieces to repair the hood channel and vent opening but still need new cowl sides for a 3w 32 and I'll have to rework the door jam I believe. I also bought some of the first panel patches for the rest of lower portion of the car. Still thinking about the wheel wells and may get a replacement portion for the rear "duck bill" line as I call it.
    Time to buy a beed roller and stretcher/shrinker.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  7. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Does anyone recognize these tiny mirror mounts...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438636117.988960.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438636148.332243.jpg
    I don't know why but they seem to be wanting for me to save them. I could make new stanchons then nickel plate them or use stainless. I have a a pair of new 32 mirrors with no brackets so they need a home and this could be the place. It be nice to know what these old ones that have left behind only a piece on my car looked like long ago.

9. Looks like an assessory wind wing bracket, not a mirror mount

Runnin shine likes this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I don't know how those mounted. I assume they would have a lower piece as well. There is no evidence of any other screw holes on either door. On the cowl there is a hole on each side that was for lights. On the driver side at the bottom of the pillar there is a set of three holes, two outside for screws and one larger in the center for ? I wasn't sure if this was for a mirror or small spot light.

11. Shine: I'd save the brackets too. You'll make something out of them.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yep, they're just so cute.
    Side note... The world famous @Bruce Lancaster has twisted my arm into using column shift with all the 40+-48 steering parts I've mustered cause @thirtytwo talked me into using my 40 car box instead of the 32 or 34. So I've been air shifting all evening, looks like I'm giving upper cuts to a ghost.
    And now I'll be in Louisville on Thursday to pickup my rims.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

RJ enterprises makes a 32 3w patch up to the belt line ... They didnt look too bad when I saw them

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks I'll check that out. I would like to use that size portion instead of the more common small patch.

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Scratch that / going to Louisville on Friday.
    Picked up another 40s column cause it had all the shifter pieces I was missing. It also has the column drop so the shaft can run through it as per stock. Really think this will be just swell. I'll post pics of it soon.

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I have to come up with money for 32 frame rails like right now if I want to get started working on this thing. Going to use some of the rear frame horns off the 34 to match up to the body mounts and a 34 gas tank. The 34 is wider than a 32 in the back of the car. I may not use the 34s front crossmember now and just sell the whole front 1/3 of the frame as a complete portion, this might help someone out. I could use a number of other options up front to mount the spring behind the axle.

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Any one ever seen a bottom portion of a 32 sedan or PU dash and gauge opening used in conjunction with a 33-34 upper? I stated early on that I would ditch the 34 dash and hook up the first person in line with it. Well I might have to modify that statement. I might cut off the 34 below the "dash pad" area and weld on the more common 32 main dash portion. If I use the window regulator it needs that bulster to cover it up. In a perfect world I could afford a 3w 32 dash but alas it ain't perfect. If I do this mod it will have to wait until the cowl and firewall are finished. Getting the dash tunnel to meet up in the proper destination could be tricky. It appears to me that a 33-34 mounts higher in the car. It would be awesome if I could trade somebody dash for dash. I would use a standard sedan dash if it is the type that bubbles out instead of the reveal if it's original Henry. Then it would be no regulator for this old girl. I hope it's not to obvious how much I don't like 33-34 dashes. I still will let what's left of the 34 dash go cheap if I cut it up.

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438998278.129195.jpg
    Zephyr wheels are home!!!! Gonna most likely re-do the outer rim and leave the centers alone, try and match the sheen but ditch a big chunk of the rust. Also the last of the four Deluxe hub caps showed up today. Clean it up and paint in the letters. A set of used stainless hood latches, handles and clips arrived today as well. I would have preferred black but these were cheap, oh well.

19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpg
    I used a 36 dash for my 3w it was a pretty easy mod to make with the dash rail

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Runnin shine likes this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439040508.871867.jpg
    A ways away from now but... I'd like to lay the windshield posts back. This though seems to be a hell of a lot more work than just adding material to the roof to get all points to meet. Then again this could coincide with the removal of the cowl. The inner header panel looks like it could use a good removal, sandblast, paint and slide back in. Maybe this too might coincide with angling the pillars?

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Why not just section the back through the quarter windows? The 34 is gonna need some shortening to fit on a 32 frame anyway.

22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Mmmmmm... You mean leave the roof alone(after cutting it off)and slide the "tub" forward to the doors the required amount? That sounds interesting.

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You need to start with photo shop or something some of the stuff your describing I'd going to look terrible in my head , that A post is pretty leaned back for a square cowl of a 32 already... You can add wheelbase on the 32 frame also

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My thought already before rat's comment. I was going to use the rear section of the 34s frame for its ability to better meet up with the body and I am gonna use a 34 tank which doesn't fit in between 32 rails as there is about a 4" difference.

25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My point was make it easy, use the 34 rear frame with the 32 wheelbase. Cut the roof through the window make life easy.

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Oh, ok I didn't get that first time. Cool cause I measured the windows and I can't see making the rear shorter.

27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Wait... I thought you were using a32 frame? We have 32 and 34 rails stacked at the shop the contours are different but very close... If your tring to put the body on top the frame like a 32 .. Doesn't really matter anyway 34 subs are channeled stock all that would need redone

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I am no expert but from the look of the body half the work has been done by Mother Nature. The removal part.....

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. I just read through this thread and I'm confused... Are you going to make the whole body like a 32 hybrid? I know you aren't asking for opinions on this (especially not mine) but wouldn't this be easier if you got a 32 frame and any 32 cowl(since I'm pretty sure youre going to heavily modify it), bolt it in place, then work from the cowl back making it happen. That would seem so much easier to get the correct proportions on the 32 frame and to the 32 cowl.

I don't know its super hard to imagine it, try to get someone to do a rendering or photoshop or something. Not trying to be a downer at all either

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I need 32 rails. Going to use the 34 center X-member, was going to use the front 34 crossmember(might switch to model A now)then was going to use the 34 rear crossmember( maybe flattened) but then I wanted to use 34 rear sections starting somewhere after the 32 reveal or above the axle. I need this rear section set up more like a 34 to mount a 34 gas tank and better meet up with the wider rear portion of the body.
    I have to make floors which will be more like thirty two's than 34s as I want wood up front. Now in order to facilitate the front dog house be on the frame stock 32 or highboy style, if you will, the body will probably be anti-channeled by 33-34 terms to sit more 32esc. I've even thought of using 32 3w lower door patches and rockers as these a have a gentler sweep than 33-34s do. This could help "square up" the body's looks a little for those who have trouble with the melding of straight line and curved lines(which I think is a bunch of hooey as the is plenty of curves on pre 33 Fords, at a bare minimum, how about the trunk, quarters, fenders and wheel wells?) and help with this anti-channel mod.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015