Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howells Sheetmetal, How was your experience? UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopsaw209, Jan 25, 2010.

1. That sucks, all the guys I know down here in TX, myself included, have had good luck.

2. urslo

urslo

ordered rear "A" sedan panel on 2-06-10, charged my credit card 2-08-10, still waiting on parts 3-01-10

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Damn hard to beat Bert's Model A Center and Steve is a top guy.

Plus he has a good range of used and 2nd hand stuff there from time to time, plus he sells cars on consignment out back, plus he has his own junkyard as well.

That is commitment.

I regularly buy from him.

4. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

you know,
    i recently placed an order with howells sheetmetal co. without doing any prior research on there reliability. I mean they look like a really legit and promising company. Waiting for about 2weeks already with no information whether or not if my item has even been shipped, i called to get a tracking number and they said it would be there in a lil more then a week and that they were running late.
    After getting that response, i was very understandable.

Then i began doing some research on the hamb about them...and its usually the same story,
    -that you really were disappointed in customer service/shipping and shipment took anywhere from 3-6 months
    or
    -that you had a great experience and the item came in about a week or so.

Well its been 1 entire month so i guess i drawed the wrong card, and i wasnt gonna wait 3-6 months on an item (its pushing my deadline for my project) so i decided to file a claim with paypal.
    il see how it goes.

5. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Allways great service and product.

6. david363

david363
    from Texas

Got my 37 patch panels next day.

7. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

see you guys are from texas though, its howells main cooperation location.

8. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I got real fast service and I made a mistake ordering the wheel well patch panels and they caught it and sent me the correct stuff.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Best way to order from them is on ebay... then they are bound to the sale and ebay will refund you if they don't responde. That's the best way I've had good luck with them besides buying from them at a swap meet!

10. Deck lid for my 26 T great service.

11. Bull

Bull

Got a lower rear patch for an A Tudor in less than a week from them. I ordered by phone if it makes a difference. Called, told them what I wanted, gave them my CC info, they told me it would ship out that afternoon. Based on how long it took to get to me, I believe it when they said it would ship the same afternoon. The patch needed some work to make it fit, but it worked out in the end.

12. xon

xon
    from detroit

called and talked to ryan and pretty much shamed him into sending me my way past overdue order..he overnighted it to me..does he get a pass??? i think i will try another vendor....

13. Harley Too

Harley Too
    from Alaska

March Update on Howells Order. I contacted BBB a month ago and Ryan told them the shipment was lost somewhere in UPS. He said he would ship another 3 panels on Monday. That was a month ago and still nothing from Howells...not even a tracking number. Just go figure.
    He has my $500.00 and is not producing. BEWARE!!! Original order was November 20, 2009.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just who IS the only mfr of T parts, please? Howell's sent some stuff last year, but it took 3 months and many emails and phone calls to get them at all.
    I'd like to deal with the T parts manufacturer.

15. Harley Too

Harley Too
    from Alaska

Just looked on the Howells site and they have now updated the note on the parts to say "up to 3 months wait to make the parts to order". Well, my 3 months are up and still no parts. Jim is better to talk to there. He does not lie, just tells us that he "does not know' or does not have the information. Sad way to run a business. Buyer beware is my answer.

16. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

i got a rain gutter for my 34 roadster i only needed one piece not 3 like everyone else sells and they made just the one. price was cheap and part looks great took a little over 2 weeks they said they were sending it out that day but sent it 10 days later guess i was lucky they sent it after reading about everyone else

17. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

[QUOTE=kevintothej;4912367 Ryan, the owner,

What happened to Dave Howell? He retire? I bought some Model A metal and a '32 seat riser from them several years ago and he was a nice guy -- but I bought in person at the shop, not by mail.
    Fearless

18. Fenders

Fenders

As I understand it, a credit card is not supposed to be charged until the item is shipped. Violation of his CC agreement.

19. Mick.Delisle

Mick.Delisle
    from Canada

Howells is very frustrating to deal with, but they are inexpensive, make good parts and will custom make the lenght of panel you need.
    They do make good parts, if you have the time to wait and dick around with them.
    If not you can order form Goerge Moir who has the parts in stock.
    Goerge Moir is more expensive however you will get the parts right now.
    With Howells it will probably take a month or more.

Heres a copy of my last two emails to Howells

EMAIL #1
    I had ordered 2 lower door skins, 2 cowl panels, 2 lower quarter skins and 2 sill plate brackets for a 1928 Ford Roadster Pickup.
    When I ordered these, you said they would be shipped out in 1 week. <O:p
    I called you 1 week later, you said they had been shipped. I asked for tracking numbers and you said these would be forwarded to me by UPS. I waited another week and did not receive any message from UPS. <O:p
    I called again last Wed. This time I was told that the door skin was not made correctly and would need to be remade and would be shipped the next day. That was last Thursday.<O:p
    Calling yesterday I was told by Jim that these items were not yet shipped, he would talk to you and get back to me before the end of the day. I have not heard from him. I left another message at 4:30 to call me back with some information and still have not heard anything.<O:p
    This morning I called again. Nobody will answer the phone and your messages were full. I was not able to leave a message until this afternoon.
    I have left you 2 messages and you have not returned my calls.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:pWhat is going on.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    Where are my parts.<O:p</O:p
    It is now going onto 4 weeks<O:p</O:p
    If you cannot supply these parts in a reasonable time (you stated 1 week) at least let me know and I will order from elsewhere.

email #2 This morning e-mail
    Ryan<O:p</O:p
    I received the patch panels, however the sill plate brackets were not in the box.<O:p</O:p
    I spoke to someone at your office last week about this.<O:p</O:p
    As you were not in at the time he was going to ask you about this and I was to call back.<O:p</O:p
    No one picks up your phone.<O:p</O:p
    I have left messages for you to return my call and have no reply from you.<O:p</O:p
    Now your messages are full.<O:p</O:p
    I am sick of leaving messages.<O:p</O:p
    You charged me for these items and did not deliver.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:pI want my money back for these items.<O:p</O:p
    I will order from a company in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:country-region>Canada</ST1:p. They have them in stock and I can depend on them.<O:p</O:p

20. I don't know about the ONLY T parts mfr., but I went to their shop in person, they make the T parts, and some other parts. They are also a distributor for other parts. I wonder what's up with them, they treated me great. See my thread below.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426563

21. Ice man

Ice man

months and My stuff took 3 trips by a fellow HAMBer living close by to rattel there Chain. Iceman

22. bab59

bab59

Had good luck ordered late wednesday, monday at noon all parts intact delivered by ups.

23. Ice man

Ice man

My stuff took 9 months and 3 trips by a fellow HAMBer to rattel there chain. Iceman

24. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

not good, wouldn't do it again.

25. Mick.Delisle

Mick.Delisle
    from Canada

Howells are shitty to deal with, won't answer your meassages and have a million excuses for not shipping on time.

I ordered cowl panels, quarter panels and door skins for a 28 Roadster and they fit very well.

If you need your parts fast order form George Moir in canada.

He is more expensive but he has the parts in stock and ships the same day.

26. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Some one should send them a link to this thread. Maybe that would wake them up to how people feel about the company.

27. Harley Too

Harley Too
    from Alaska

Just talked with Ryan Walton again and he says UPS has been unable to locate the lost parts...has promised to ship again by March 15th. Sure wish the person that has called us "whiners" was in my place waiting for delivery. Will update at that time to see if a valid tracking number comes up....
    Could have used the parts 4 months ago!!!!

28. Harley Too

Harley Too
    from Alaska

Now it is another 2 weeks past when Ryan promised he would ship the parts.

I got news from other members that had been to Chickasaw and they said my new parts were looking good and selling at the meet. Ryan has not shipped mine yet...didn't have any left to ship.
    He did say back in December that mine would be shipped as soon as he got a " run of parts" done. Must have forgot that old orders should be at the top of the list...

BEWARE

29. Harley Too

Harley Too
    from Alaska

Checked with the BBB in Beaumont, Texas and Howells has lost the accreditation as of 3-1-2010 and are rated C-.

About time somebody takes notice. Ryan is not answering the phone now...

30. 067chevy

067chevy

I did a post about Howells last summer and there service sucks. I finally got my parts months, not weeks after ordering and will never buy anything from them again. They jerked me around telling my parts would be shipped that day so many times. They used to be good and their parts were quality parts.