Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW MERCH!!!!!!

Hey guys... It's that time of the year again and we are introducing some new shirts in the Jalopy Journal store - including our first ever pocket shirt! So, if you are in the need for some new threads go here:
    The Jalopy Journal Store
    Dismiss Notice

Technical How to stop stromberg 97's from leaking

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodnomader, Sep 13, 2013.

1. hotrodnomader

hotrodnomader
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks for the help

2. Mine runs up to 3 lbs pressure and doesn't leak, I've put it together several times with cheap $4.50 gasket set fro Macs. If the surfaces ain't flat it's not going to work is it?? Gently with a plastic hammer flatten the top then flatten further with a flat surface and wet n dry paper. Lightly grease the gaskets and a dob of oil on the pump felt. And don't bloody over tighten, the jet plugs may need a bit of a nip up tho..

3. speedshifter

speedshifter

Sometimes with low fuel press & smooth gskt surfaces the little rascals will still leak. Here's what I do & it has completely dried my 97's up. I make sure the float tange is exactly vertical when it closes against the aftermarket ball type float valve (needle & seat). To alter the n & s position to achieve this one must either move the n&s deeper toward the float , by cutting back the gskt surface of the seat in a lathe or move the seat away from float by adding another seat gskt or using a thicker gskt. Set the float level to factory spec. by bending the float at the fulcrum. Next using a product called SealAll, available at O'Reilly's, etc coat the threads of the fulcrum pin & all the threaded plugs &drive in balls at the bottom of the float bowel. I really hope this will cure your pesky leaks as it did for me. Greg W

4. christmas tree

christmas tree

The plugs for the jets and power valve is also a likely spot.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought my 97's from England and Clive suggested that exact thing prior to start up. I also use a return line and a low pressure adjustable regulator. I have no leaks, I don't tolerate leaks.

6. 1950mercsled

1950mercsled
    from oregon

I've always soaked my gaskets in oil before installation. They swell and fit and full the deformations of old carbs. And I always buy the Genuine Stromberg gaskets.

7. Old thread for sure but it reminded me of asking my Grandpa High pockets how to prevent a old carburetor from leaking, he looked me square in the eye and said," don't use it,buy a new one". :rolleyes: HRP