Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to run two engines side by side on one car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironmatt72, Mar 28, 2009.

1. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

For a side by side street car, put a blower drive pulley on both crankshafts, connect with a drive belt, run a trans on one engine only to an offset rear.

In the 40s there was a manufacturer of over the road trucks that used two flathead Fords. Two complete drivelines, tandem rears, one engine and trans connected to the front rear, the other engine and trans connected to the rear rear. Truck would drive on one engine or both. Only a few dozen built, I've seen sales brochure photos but none in 'real life'.

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The twin engine Warren Thorco Ford was used to pull wing and fuselage sections for the B-24 bombers from Willow Run at Ft Worth to Tulsa during WW2. There was one at the ATHS Amarillo show back in 03 restored and runing.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

great bit,fascinating stuff, I love the behind the scenes tech on these old cars

4. I posted these before.. I dig this car

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  5. duste01

duste01

The pictures I am showing arent the show boat.
    [​IMG]

6. duste01

duste01

Your right see post 37 for pictures

7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

A simple brute force way to do this is:

Two motors side by side. Each gets its own tranny and driveshaft. Use two Jag rear end center sections. Couple the inner 'axle' shafts together (the two diffs would be closely coupled to each other. Weight penalty for sure, but bulletproof and no science project chain or gear setups.

8. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Like this

[​IMG]

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That's it! Cheapest, easiest, strongest way to do it. You are looking at two Jag rear end center sections. The outboard pieces are all Jag.

A friend of mine had a Jag V12, twin supercharged, 6 speed manual, run through a stock Jag rear (axles and center zsection that is - the suspension mountings were beefed up). That car was crazy fast and the Jag rear never faltered. They are VERY strong!

10. radar33

radar33
    from Bruns Ohio

A friend of mine had a Jag V12, twin supercharged, 6 speed manual, run through a stock Jag rear (axles and center zsection that is - the suspension mountings were beefed up). That car was crazy fast and the Jag rear never faltered. They are VERY strong![/quote]

Any pics?

11. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

The chain couplers are a lot stronger than you think, many tractor pullers used them in the past, and believe me they get some abuse.

12. boldventure

boldventure

I saw this last year locally. Hemi and Chevy powered. The last photo in set shows "procedure to start" from windshield.
    This did run on both engines. Kind of a cross between "Steampunk" and "Star Wars".

Attached Files:

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Any pics?[/quote]

I have one digital shot of our cars side by side somewhere. I once took many shots of his car with what an ancient technology called 'film' and I do not have digital versions of them. His car was in Jaguar World magazine and should be easy to find on the various Jag sites - here is one link:

http://www.jcna.com/library/news/2002/jcna0079.html

He was a good guy and a good friend but unfortunately he recently passed on.

14. wsdad

wsdad

You want to draw a picture of that so those of use with small brains can get it?

Also, here's a link to almost every twin known to man.

http://twotogo.homestead.com/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  15. ironmatt72

ironmatt72
    from Boston

That is a lot of Info. But no chain for me! I am going to drive the hell out of this car, chain just won't do. I am not a fan of two trannies to much weigh. I am looking into boats and tractor pulling.

16. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Here's Andrew Robertson's Jag XJ roadrace car with a twin turbocharged 454. Watch how he runs up on the other cars in the field then has to back off as they out brake him going into the corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6OGxHg3eIg

The Jag rears will take a lot of power but are not good with shock. With an auto trans they are very long lived but a 4 speed will hurt them unless it's in a very light car. Cobra kit cars do fine with them because they just spin the tires.

17. oldsmobile1915

oldsmobile1915

To put one engine in front of the other, you can tie the crankshafts together with a sprocket on each shaft (rear of front engine, front of rear engine) and a double roller chain... there are other means of coupling that would work just as well, but this is simple and easy.

If the rear engine is 315 degrees off of the front engine, every cylinder has its own firing time (assuming 2 V8 engines). I am working on this type of project with a 34 ford but appearances are going to be a "little different" than above.

There is a bunch of other stuff too (plumbing, vacuum, spark, fuel, exhaust, etc.)but it's all basic.

as for side to side.... boat transmission would be my best guess... but no clue.

~J

Oh, I just finished reading the post... now I have a clue! very cool!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  18. 63chevyll

63chevyll

the jag rears look like dana 60's.

You can make an engine turn counter clockwise, just need a reverse grind cam

19. ironmatt72

ironmatt72
    from Boston

I have found what I am looking for SCS gears makes a What they call a combining box. After looking at it. I know I can do the same with NP 205 tranfer case gears.

20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Here's my build :D
    [​IMG]

21. If I had this bug I'd look for a deal on a matched pair of boat engines and do the meshed ring gear deal to make it work. You're building something like this more or less for looks and shock value anyways, it's not very practical, so as long as it won't fly apart just driving it on and off a trailer it should be okay.

You could even have one motor be a dummy that just spins and makes some oil pressure so it doesn't lock up, but has no compression or fuel into it.

22. ironmatt72

ironmatt72
    from Boston

Oh, no I want to drive the hell out of it. Why build it, if you can't drive it? This is why I am not using a chain drive. They are great for tractor pulls or Monster trucks, but these are short duty cycles. I want to drive this thing on the highway at 100 mph. Don't get me wrong. I want to show the car off, but I am driving to the Show!

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

What 'Mat said! ^^^^^^^^^

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It also didnt move either, they gutted the motors after the frame cracked from trailering it

25. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

It ran before though...the frame cracked from hydrogen embrittlement during trailering, I don't think the chromers had the technology they do today..

But it did run and drive.

26. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

there was one car that rand side by side engines that used a helcopter trans adapter. some older helicopters ran 2 engines and linked them together that way. I think it was the twin engine hotwheels car they built that kind of looked like a 70 model corvett

27. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

here is a pic of the car. it was called the twinmill

28. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

sorry...have to resize the pic...will get back to you later

29. Denver

Denver

Not sure if this is breaking news or not, I didn't know about it until 15 minutes ago.

Split Torque Gearbox -
    A split torque gearbox having multiple input shafts. Each input shaft is connected to two face gears. Each face gear is connected to two quill shafts, one is coaxially mounted and the second is not coaxially mounted. Of the two quill shafts, one is positioned on a first side of an output stage and a second quill shaft is located on a second side of the output stage and the quill shafts are connected thereto. The output stage is connected to a main shaft. ~ This patent.

[​IMG]

Comanche helicopter that uses a system like this.

Here's another system that does the same thing.. Maybe a more modern design.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  30. ironmatt72

ironmatt72
    from Boston

holy crap! Now we are just mindfunking it. Thanks for the input. This have been a blast.!