Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to rinse block with out taking it apart??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Hello guys.
    I started to work on my 62 econobox this summer.
    I pulled the 200ci out of it to clean and paint it.
    I was really happy to see a reconditioned tag on the block and clean top under the valve cover.

I pulled the oil pan off today but before prying it off with a screwdriver, I hit the sides with a rubber mallet.
    The engine was almost upside-down.
    ,when I pulled the pan,there was some big grit on the bottom but im afraid that some fell inside the bottom end..
    I can't see anything tho.
    The grit was not magnetic,almost like carbon build up and a tiny sliver of glass.
    Should I be worried?
    Is there a way to flush everything down?

I will have more questions as I put this beast together.
    Thanks hamb.
    received_997882831042590.jpeg received_547261272959527.jpeg received_2552787505030581.jpeg received_857046308555867.jpeg received_312985337223487.jpeg received_2729124467379613.jpeg received_131284769138367.jpeg received_819397355436709.jpeg received_1477728452564971.jpeg received_200432395334249.jpeg

2. jaracer

jaracer

If it was dry, I'd use compressed air with the engine in an upright position. Let gravity help.

3. 37gas

37gas

Turn the engine right side up or valve cover side up and get two cans of brake clean put the red plastic tube on the brake clean and spray up from the bottom that should wash it out

4. Good ^^^^^^advice.......gravity is your friend.....

mrspeedyt and saltflats like this.

5. KenC

KenC

Good technique. I use a normal garden sprayer for similar jobs. Diesel is a cheap solvent for the first step. Follow up with a lighter, faster dry solvent of your choice. I've even used a pressure washer followed by a l o n g session with compressed air to dry the water out.
    Depends mostly on your available solvents and work environment. In my shop a big piece of cardboard will catch and soak it up. Guys working in a residential drive in view of neighbors may have different constraints.

mrspeedyt and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

You can get a small 1 quart spray thing that hooks up to a tire chuck from you're compressor line. I then spray with diesel fuel, scrub with the parts washer brush, spray again, and let it all fall into one of those cheap pans from nappa. all right side up, as noted above

mrspeedyt likes this.
  7. Like the man said earlier,,,a few cans of brake cleaner will fix it up ,,,,and quickly as well .
    Turn it right side up,,,,and spray the dickens out of the inside,,,,,,gravity will flow anything out . I’m assuming you were talking about dirt and grit that was on the outside of the pan ?

It looks like you got a really good reman ,,,,,at least it looks good to me .
    I’m just assuming the condition is good internally,,,,the timing chain looks good and tight .
    Good luck .

Tommy

mrspeedyt and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm on the gravity is your friend bandwagon, but would not use compressed air. Compressed air will blow stuff everywhere in spite of gravity. I would get a large tub or tank that you can immerse the engine into. Fill it with diesel fuel and hang the block in it. You can slosh the block back and forth or get a paint stirer and get the fuel moving. As the residue washes off inside it will settle to the bottom. Raise the engine and lower it several times and then stir it again. That way the residue should all move only downward. Then save the tank for future parts washing or use the fuel for starting fires.
    I made a large tank out of an old Job Box I found cheap on Facebook. Get some of the tank sealer that Por 15 sells and seal the seams if its not watertight. Makes a really good cleaner and the diesel fuel lasts forever. Of course don't clean parts in the diesel fuel and then go into the house feeling amourous...........

Oh, I put a flat steel plate in the bottom so I didn't have to worry about poking a hole in it.

DSCN2288.JPG
    DSCN2338.JPG
    DSCN2295.JPG

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

No matter what you use, if the cam looks dry when you're done, I would wipe some cam lube on the lobes or at least some STP.

Gary

LWEL9226 likes this.
  10. Thanks for all the advise guys will try the brake cleaner outside the garage in the gravel...the grit was inside the oil pan on the bottom...I dont know how it got there,this looks like a low mile after rebuild

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd go with flushing it out with diesel and calling it good.

LWEL9226 likes this.