Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How to register and title a custom built vehicle in WV?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snakecbaker, Apr 20, 2014.

1. snakecbaker

snakecbaker
    from Keyser, WV

Were can I find how to get a title and vin for a custom built vehicle in west Virginia. Also requirements for the vehicle like seat belts, taillight and signals. I'm planning and getting parts for my build. Will be keeping records of everything I buy.

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

3. xracer40

xracer40

You will have to have your build inspected by any police officer. He will fill out a VIN verification form,which you download from the WV Dept of Transportation website. You will have satisfy him as to where and how you obtained any parts. Keep all reciepts and I would get a bill of sale(use official form from DOT website) for large items like body,frame,engine. If no vin exists,he can request the state issue one on the same form. After the state issues a new vin no., you can use this to apply for a title. It would be titled as a 2014 Assembled vehicle.

As far as lights,wipers,etc. your build will have to pass inspection the same as your daily driver. Any local inspection station should be able to answer any questions you have.

4. txturbo

txturbo

Hire an auto title company.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Go to your states DMV website. Info is usually there.

6. snakecbaker

snakecbaker
    from Keyser, WV

thanks for all the information. gratefully appreciated