Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. It can be mounted in any orientation inside your car. Google the product and you can get the installation manual.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. finally you guys have given me a reason to buy an ipod!
    Any recommendations on speaker choice?
    does car charge unit?

3. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

I just saw that they make clips for motorcycles to mount on the handlebars too AND there are also APPs for speedometers, tachs, etc, but I heard they don't work well...

4. castirondude

castirondude

It will work with any mp3 player, it doesn't have to be an ipod. In fact if you have a smart phone you can use that as well.

The OP was only for the sound system - You can buy cigarette lighter chargers.
    If your car has a stereo built in there are ways to tie into it. I used to have an old Lincoln with an 8-track player and I had a cardridge that allowed me to hook up an mp3 player. But this combo will have much better sound quality and reliability than the original sound system.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

5. ugotpk

ugotpk

Yes it does charge. As far as speakers. Best you can afford that fit. A 4 way amp lets you run a pair of 6x9s and a bass unit. I have all under truck seat.

6. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I just bought a Sound Storm from a motorcycle and hook it up it comes with volume control and all

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  8. aircoup

aircoup

yessssssssss,,,,,

9. They sell standard car stereos now with a USB port. I put one in my van with an 8GB thumb drive. It has enough music on it to drive like a week straight with no repeats. Like $70 on Amazon and you can set the display colors to most anything you want.

10. Yeah, I was blown away by the price of this unit, but when I contacted them they said they wouldn't ship the bugger to Australia.:( I did say pretty please, but they just said nup. They said if I had an address in the US they could post it to and forward it from there, but do I have an address in the US? Ho! In my dreams.

11. Just got mine installed in my 50 this weekend.
    Sounds great, and the dock for the Ipod mounts just about anywhere.
    I'm still thinking of where to put mine.

12. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

This is great, will be trying it out shortly in my 47 cad. I was going to hide a newer head unit but this looks so much cleaner.

13. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Did you find out what is needed other than that amp and the IPOD and speakers? Is it just a cable from the IPOD to that amp and then output of the amp to the speakers? I was reading through the thread and got lost! I also will need a lightning adapter or a cable that goes to the lightning connector since my ipod is a newer model.

14. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

I have one of these too. Still trying to decide if I'm going to use it. It's still in box, so I don't know all details. Is only way to control it through the remote? I may lose (or more likely, break) it. Then what if that's only control and the thing is discontinued.

Thanks for response.

15. there is a volume and a track up/down on the dock.
    But most of the other controls are on the remote.

For $50 buy a backup LOL

16. I'm thinking about going the under the truck seat route as well. Do you have any pics of your installation?

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I didn't get any answers on here. A buddy of mine told me I would be better off going with that Pyle Cycle Series one which I think sells for about $60.

Still totally undecided, I may just go with the way it was done in the original post. I just don't want to spend stupid money on an amp.

18. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

Thanks Thommyknocker

19. I know I'm way behind the learning curve but just what the heck is a Ipod? and is there anything else that you can use to have tunes without a radio besides the transistor radio swinging from the rear view mirror?:confused: HRP

20. Tin Can

Tin Can

I have set this up in my 53 with all of the components from the first post. a cheap amp that was given to me by a friend, a pair of 3.5" speakers behind the kick panel, and some 3 way 5.25" speakers in the rear quarters. Sounds OK. Happy to have some tunes in the ride to cruise to. The only thing with the connector from the 1st post is that on the I-Pods they changed 2 of the pins so mine does not charge when hooked up. Simple fix was to wire up a 12v power source (cig lighter) to charge it when it is dead. Great info in this and Ryans post on this subject

21. Boosted54

Boosted54

big hugh ness
    If you want something that sounds real good and is intended for an off axis install, "most likely in these older cars" then i would go with MB Quart speakers.

22. I have 2 speakers that are 125W each and 4 speakers that each say "220W peak power, 55 rated power". Here's my questions:
    1. Can I put two of the 220W/55W speakers on the same channel?
    2. Is a 4-channel amp what I need?
    3. Are the four speakers 55W or 220W?
    4. Can I use all 6 speakers or should I dump 2 of them?

Who knows the answers?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  23. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

How in the hell am I supposed to hear the music over the open headers, M22 rockcrusher and halibrand quickchange??.......

24. 1. No, don't put more than 1 speaker per channel.
    depending on how you wire them, the resistance goes in 1/2 or doubles, both suck.
    2 yes if you want 4 speakers
    3. 55w rms or average
    4 dump 2 or I save them for the next project, You can always ship the to me.

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

This is why I try to have a rod AND a custom. Custom I got, rods in the works.

26. Thanks, Thommyknocker. Killer sedan, by the way.

27. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Just ordered two of the Sony units, for the extra $30 each over the pyle units I think it will be worth the sound quality. I cant use the dock since I have an Ipod nano 7th generation (lightning port) so I will use the 3.5mm cable input from the ipod headphone output. I plan on putting it under my front seats and installing USB charging ports as well. Pics to come at install time!

28. Ta mate. Will check em out

29. madmak95

madmak95

An IPod is a digital device smaller than your cell phone that hold music. It made by Apple. But theres others that are commonly call MP3 players. They can hold hundreds to thousands of songs depending on the digital size . So imagine every song you love being held in your finger tips in a box smaller than a match book.

30. 32Rules

32Rules

While your getting gas, which i guess is often :)