Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to get the car home????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Mar 7, 2010.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Y'all,

So the car has been over at the storage unit for about 3 years because we started remodeling the house and etc etc.... well I never brought it back home until today. How to do it??? Build a tow-bar! I whipped this up on Saturday and then completed thing today and hitched her up. My little Dude Max and I drug it home just before lunch and now its parked and happy!

Here's a few snappys of our weekend...

~Robert M.

Attached Files:

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Neat.
    You must have cool cops around your area. Here they'd bust you for a list of things doing that.

3. DMFB

DMFB

Thats what I'm talkin about.

4. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

We needed the dudes from next door to lend a hand in order to hoist the body onto the frame... Max is only 2 so his strength wasn't quite there yet to pick up the body with Dad and place it on the chassis.... But with the other fella's we did it!

Cheers,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

5. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

This thing is really cool, I got to check it out earlier today.

6. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thanks Seth! It was cool to meet up and shoot the shit yesterday!

~Robert M.

7. yardgoat

yardgoat

Look,s cool !!!,nice tow bar.Iquess you didnt see the thread on a leaf spring tow bar ? It was wild but worked,i like your,s better.Glad you had a safe move..........YG

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

It worked OK.... If I tow the car again I will make a few changes with regards to the matting up with the front of the car. It really should have a separate bracket for each side of the frame and then the Tow Bar should connect to those. I just thru some tabs on there and bolted directly to the front spreader bar holes. We only had about 1 1/4 Miles to make it home from the storage joint so I took the easy route.

I was nervous as hell dragging it home however..... Glad it's parked in the proper spot now!

~Robert M.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I always wondered about these things. How do the front wheels staying pointed straight? Does it auto-correct as you go down the road, or do you need to fix the steering box/wheel?

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yep! The wheels just follow right along. I drove it around the storage complex first to watch what was going on then we hit the road!

11. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

If you want a trailer for next time I own a 22 footer. It's old and not pretty, but it works great.

12. I use an A frame to tow my reverse trike (see below) behind our family car when we go on holiday. As long as there is the steering lock is not engaged then the towed car will follow on perfectly.

Last year we towed the trike 1300 miles from the North West of England to Rome. Didn't even notice it was there - there is no nose weight on the trailer bar.

The one problem is that you cannot reverse with the towed car attached - the steering on the towed car will be forced into full lock as you back up.

[​IMG]

13. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Pretty Kool tow bar. What speed did you take it up to? Did the car start to wonder from side to side going down the road?