Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to Flip Uprights on 49-53 Shoebox Ford Drop Hack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Travis latour, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Travis latour

Travis latour
    from Putnam CT

So I don't have the money to spend 800$ on dropped uprights so I thought about it a little bit and also heard of people "flipping the uprights". whenever I saw this I would only see people flip the upright and spindle assembly from side to side and bend the steering arm and also in turn have to bend the upright to get rid of the camber. The thrust bearing also was positioned on the bottom of the spindle rendering it useless.

I am probably not the first person to do this but I haven't seen it done this way exactly and this is the way I figured out the best way to do it without much fabrication. the steering arm has to be profiled a bit and depending on what springs you run you might have to notch the frame for the tie rods. ill update when I know. ill be running Aerostar springs.

materials needed
    Kingpin kit from Mac's $50.00
    Camber kit from Shoebox Central $50.00. Or you could make your own. looks simple enough.

Here's the video explaining my process. Hope this helps you penny pinchers!

Tim and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  2. The real problem solver is the camber kit that allows for the upright flip to work without heating and bending the upright. Overall hood video though going through the process.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Travis latour likes this.
  3. Travis latour

Travis latour
    from Putnam CT

yeah man absolutely that camber kit!