Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to find an old car you owned?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltracer, Jul 26, 2009.

1. saltracer

saltracer

Has anyone had any luck finding an old car they have owned/built? the state registration place thinks you are possibly stalking someone if you ask for an address to match a plate. In my case the car had a lifetime Street Rod plate, so they didn't have to renew it. But if they sold it I'm sure the new owner had to have the address changed. This was my son's first car.

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If it was on the car when they took possession it's not yours any more. Let it go.

3. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

why dont you post up pictures of the car, features and special items on it when sold, that has helped many hamber's find the car they sold or lost from years ago

check with the local street rod association,car clubs, do you remember where it went? who did you sell it to? you either kenw them or not, can't get much simpler than that

a friend's buddy or sister, where they lived? did they drive over from some close town?
    DETAILS DETAILS, one little clue will steer you to the next
    you got think all around,

,run some ads in the regional papers, yeah they still print some papers:rolleyes:

4. saltracer

saltracer

This car was build over 20 years ago. the guy I sold it to now lives two blocks from me but he sold to a guy that went to jail for a while and that's the last I heard of the car. I'll look for some pictures. thanks

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

I ran across my 48 which I regretted selling a year later in the Jr collage parking lot with a for sale sign on it. I had a for sale sign on the 57 Chev Panel I was driving and we made a straight across trade.

The 51 Merc I had bought in 1963 as a high school Sophomore and sold a couple of years later was spotted by a friend sitting in a field next to a house. We went out and inquired about it at the house and I found that it then belonged to a former classmate. I found him at his house in town, offered 10.00 bucks for the car and got the title on the spot and went and towed it home the same afternoon.
    I sold it a few years ago and it has had a complete redo and I don't have any real interest in having it back again.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. saltracer

saltracer

[​IMG]

This is an early construction shot with my son at the wheel. It had Pinto power. I'll post more.

7. saltracer

saltracer

8. saltracer

saltracer

the car was a Bird kit car that I lengthened and redid all the suspension, four bar on the rear and radius rods front,it had a Ford truck 9' rear. the body and the seats are molded together and there are small removable cushions for the interior. there was a removable top at one time. The car was built in south Louisiana.

9. chad

chad

i think hes looking for the car ,,,not to get the plate back... The car probably still has the plate attached to it, so i think hes saying he has the plate number but no more info where the car went....

10. retromotors

retromotors

I usually find some when I cut the grass.:D

11. saltracer

saltracer

12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

13. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

Law enforcement could run your plate if you think it still has your plates on it, they are not supposed to do that but if you know someone....you get the picture.

14. Perhaps if you give your info to a "nice" person at the DMV they might forward it to the current owner of the plate...always possibly the plate was put on another street rod, so good luck...

15. saltracer

saltracer

I emailed the DMV and recieved a reponse today "The plate number has been purged from our records" and I also tried to call the last known owner, Todd Harrington and his land line number has been disconnected.

16. Sounds Like it might have left the state..bummer...

17. Purged from the records can also mean the registration hasn't been renewed in long enough that it was deleted from their computer files. I found out a few years ago here in New York the limit was around 7 years, when I tried to see what I could do about a car I'd lost the registration card for. Of course that may vary, but I think with everything on computer most states delete inactive VINs and related info after a set time. (I do know some aren't doing this, CA, because they have different rules with the inop certificate and all that).

It may be possible to hire a private investigator and give him the serial number to track it down - but only if it's registered somewhere today.

18. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

I bet it hasn't gone far away. Try placing a wanted ad in your local Craig's List for a T-Bucket and see what shows up. You might find part of it or a lead on where else to look.

I always wanted to build one of those Bird T-bucket kits; even had the construction manual at one time. I haven't seen one in years. Yours looked nice. Good luck.

19. Swifster

Swifster

Take the serial number and run a title search.