Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how to copy a thread to hard drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Michael_e

Michael_e

Here's what I want to do; I want to copy a thread that multiple pages and a lot of pics to my hard drive so I don't loose any of the text or pictures for any of multitude of reasons. then I can make a copy to a disckcet and take it to a older pc not connected to the internet in my garage for further review.
    I've looked thru the tutorial section but didn't find what I needed. Can anyone help?

2. squirrel

squirrel

we can help you figure out how to get internet out to your garage...it would probably be easier!

You can go to the first page of the thread, then on your browser, it should have something in the top left corner like "File" and that will bring up a menu that might have some choices like "save page as..." and then you can save it as a web page, complete. Be sure to save it in a location where you can find it easily, such as a new folder on your desktop, name the folder for what the subject of the thread is. Then go to the next page, and do the whole "save as..." thing again. repeat until you run out of pages of the thread.

There might be an easier way, but like I said, running internet to the garage is what I would do :)

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

If by diskette you mean 3-1/2 floppy disk you'll need more than 1.4 mb for pics alone. You are likely looking at a flash drive for transferring. If your garage computer still has a floppy your hard drive is probably small. It might be a cheap option to pick up a 128gb flash drive and just save stuff in it and just open from it.

$29 at bestbuy cheaper on eBay. Sandisk are my preference. If you go eBay route stay away from sellers not local to your county in interest of time to receive.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  4. squirrel is on the right track.
    go up to the menu bar in your browser and click file, then save as. it should give the option to save as a web page or web archive. it should save the entire thread.

just for giggles i saved a 4 page thread and it saved at about 5 MB.

you may want to see if you have an export option. it would be in the same menu bar drop down assume as. you can export as a PDF.

if you have an older PC with an older browser without all of the correct updates and plugins, the file might not open correctly as a web archive.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may not necessarily be possible. Pictures on websites, such as this, are often hosted on sites other than this one. If you copy the thread text, you don't get the pictures, because they are not on this site. They are hotlinked to external servers.

As for moving images, many older PC's simply cannot display images in modern resolutions. Worse yet, the images, in their native form, are so large, that they become difficult to move with physical media.

If you actually mean diskette, as in floppy diskette, you are out of luck. If the machine is that old, it belongs in a tech museum.

You can get a modern, entry-level laptop for under $200, and a WiFi range extender for under $100 (if your WiFi does not currently reach the garage).

6. SR100

SR100

There is a free web version of the screen grabber Mike mentioned: Snapito.com. The interface is a bit quirky, but the results are good. Click in the text box inside the circle & a new text box opens up. Copy the the thread URL & paste it in the text window and click 'Snap'. It will show you silly phrases while it grinds (and it will take a while for long threads). When it is done, you can scroll down a little & download it.
    The upside: it saves as a JPEG, so the file is small and can be opened by any number of programs.
    The downsides: It is a picture of the thread, so it is not searchable. Snapito.com is not logged in to the HAMB, so it shows ads (and can't be used to capture conversations).
    As Pilot mentioned, you can use 'Save As', but the files are huge and archives can't be opened by other browsers. I have a browser loaded on my PC solely to open the the archives created with an earlier version when it was my primary browser.
    There may be a plug-in that you can add that will save as .PDF, but most browsers won't save as .pdf without one.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd go "low tech". Print each page. Put them in plastic sleeves and keep them in a binder. Hey.... paper is the traditional way.;)

8. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

^and that's tangible,

like I wish your avatar was.............

9. Michael_e

Michael_e

I'm starting to lean toward the "printing each page" method. Also, my garage is about a mile from my house, so WiFi is out of the question. If I could just tap into some of those Lotto winnings then a new garage at home would solve a lot of the problems. Thanks

williebill likes this.
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I first joined the HAMB and was building my previous T Bucket, I had prints of threads on everything I had a question about. Made a nice reference source. If I had a printer, I'd still be doing it. Seems quicker than logging on and doing a search for an hour.;)

williebill likes this.
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Download a pdf printer like Cutepdf or Pdf24. Print the thread to a pdf file. Easy. Though you might have to be clever to force it to print more than a limited number of pages. You can always manipulate pages in the pdf editor function.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  12. squirrel

squirrel

still have to do each page of the thread by itself, I think. With the old (several years ago) board software, you could display the entire thread at once, so the pdf method would have been real nice. Although you would not get the images to be able to be other than the size that shows up, ie thumbnails if that's what's there.

the trick is to get the full size image files into the folder you save.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

the easy way to keep your photos and threads:
    the steps look confusing, but once done, it becomes second nature and you have everything stored where you want it.
    Hello,

If you use Google chrome as your HAMB search engine, then you are in luck. If not, just sign up and use the Google website on your computer. You can even sign up for one of the best email servers in the Gmail program.

Once you are on Google chrome page and call up the HAMB website, any story or thread can be bookmarked. Now once you click on the bookmark tab, place it where you want that bookmark to go… other bookmarks, or bookmark bar, etc. The star is the bookmark tab to save what you want to save and to where.
    upload_2017-6-7_8-48-20.png
    The double back arrows will show your Bookmark Bar saved pages
    upload_2017-6-7_8-49-19.png
    Then title it and save.

Now, you have saved what you want. As far as copying a photo, you can always take a print screen shot…(prt sc button on your keyboard) then paste it to a blank Word Document page to save as a JPEG.

Open up the other bookmark tab and see if your saved bookmark is there. If it is, then you are in business. You can keep doing this process every time you want to save a thread or the individual post with photos. But, if the person posting puts his photos on the HAMB and does not keep the website where he stores the photos, we all get the dreaded “X” on the photos.

So, in order to save your HAMB photos, click on the photo you want, then right click to save image as…to your computer.
    upload_2017-6-7_8-50-11.png
    Finally, once all of that is finished, you have saved a million threads or posts to your desired bookmark tab. Now, go to the upper three dots tab.
    upload_2017-6-7_8-50-49.png When you click on that series of three dots, this screen opens up. Go to bookmarks.
    upload_2017-6-7_8-51-28.png
    Go to the bookmark manager tab:
    upload_2017-6-7_8-52-3.png
    Open the organize tab:
    upload_2017-6-7_8-52-40.png
    Go to the export bookmarks to html file: click
    upload_2017-6-7_8-53-17.png
    Save and it pops up in your documents or pictures files like this:
    upload_2017-6-7_8-53-57.png
    Jnaki

From this point on, copy that link and save it to a flash drive to use anywhere. No need for floppy discs if you can still find them. When you open this label, all of your saved bookmarks pop up for your use.

Every so often, do this bookmark save just in case your computer does the freeze dance of death. Save it to another external hard drive for security and emergencies. This goes along with all of your other "important" family stuff.

kidcampbell71 and clunker like this.
  14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

When I wanted to print out my thread to make it into a book I did a a left click on the mouse starting on t he left side I swept to the right and then just kept moving the mouse down the page until I had copied all that I could. Then right click the mouse to select all that was in blue.The right click brings up a gray box with several choices. I choose copy.
    Next step is to open a blank word document. Then right click in the top left corner the box will come up again and yo click paste. All of the text and pictures will then transfer to the word document.

Then you go back to the HAMB thread and go to the place you left off and choose a bunch more thread stuff and choose copy again. This time you back to the word document and paste your latest stuff at the end of the previously saved stuff. I did this for my 40 thread. It took quite awhile to transfer all of the info. It added up to over 800 pages but I was able to edit it down to around 700........

Another way to access the info without making hard copies is to use your smart phone (if you have one).

Good luck with your project.

jnaki likes this.
  15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Aren't the bookmarks just links to get you to the site? Would still need an internet connection to view them?

16. Place your cursor at the upper left corner of the thread. Press the left mouse button down, drag the cursor to the very bottom right of the thread, without lifting the mouse button. The entire thread should now be marked in blue, indicating it will be saved. If satisfied you have captured what you intent to save, lift the left button, gently press the right button and a menu should present, select 'copy'. You may have to do this a few times until you get the hang of 'dragging'.

Now open a Word program, one which will display text and pictures. Place the cursor in the frame and gently press right mouse button and select paste. After a minute or so, the entire thread which you highlighted in blue, will appear. With the Word 'file' command at the top, select 'Save As' and type your name for the thread and it's location.

With other techniques you may loose pictures as the pictures are not permanently in internet storage. What you saved will last as long as you save it. Note that if the thread extends over several 'next' pages, you will have to save each one.

As an advanced user you can 'paste' each new page at the bottom of the current Word file you are developing. Try a page at a time first.

Let us know if this works for you.

jnaki likes this.
  17. Puhovpeny

Puhovpeny

To save the data in the form in which they are presented on the site, it is necessary to save the entire web page. To understand that the page in the browser is loaded not from the Internet but a local hard drive, you need to look at the address bar in the browser. In the case of a saved page, it will contain an address of the following type: "file:///[path to your file]." To do this in the Internet Explorer browser, you must perform one of the following actions while on the desired page. Click the menu "File" — "Save as," or on the right side of the screen select the item "Page" — "Save as," or press the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl" + "S." But you can also contact raid recovery and ask for help to do this.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022