Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to Build a Subtle '36 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mutt, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Mutt

Mutt

The October '53 Hot Rod magazine had a feature on a '36 3 window that epitomizes subtle. Jim McKinley built a timeless classic designed to create drool from any hot rodder, and it not only looks good, but clocked 126.40 at El Mirage!

The paint is cream lacquer, the grill, wheels, and backs of the bumpers are fire engine red. The interior was done by McKinley, in tan and maroon. With the exception of the 2 1/2 inch chop, the changes are so subtle that most won't even realize they were made - because they look like they belong there, which is the key to customizing, IMO.

Here's my holiday treat for you guys....

Mutt

2. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

Ummm I have a lump in my pants now... thanks

3. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

killer,. ESPECIALLY the back window... KILLER

4. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Real nice '36 ! Just needs some severe lowering in the rear... Thanks for sharing the pics ! You seem to have a GREAT and huge collection of old magazines.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you Mutt! Happy 4th of July everyone! This is the Jack Colori '36 from the November 1949 Hot Rod, did 114.50 at Russetta, tail lights are Hudson units.

6. Squablow

Squablow

I love the running board strips on that white 3 window! Says they're from MG, I'm assuming they mean the strips are from an MG car, or am I wrong? I'd like to use a set of those on the running boards on my '40 Chrysler. They look too classy on that 3W. Very coachbuilder-esque. Anyone know where I can get some?

7. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

The Calori car pics are pure gold ! Thank you !

8. Mutt

Mutt

Yes, the strips are from a MG running board. He had to join 2 pieces together to get them long enough. If you look carefully, you can see a joint in them.

You might be able to duplicate the look with later model chrome/stainless with a rubber insert, like some side trim, or station wagon tailgate trim.

Mutt

9. RonC

RonC
    from Montebello

I agree with you. Subtle changes that compliment a cars body lines are more apealing than radical changes to completely change the look of a car. Some cars flow so nicely that they don't need a lot of modifications. Cars like this are really influencing the build on my 36 3w but I have about 3 grilles and another set of headlights on standby. I wish I had the money to do 2 so I could leave one stock.

10. Love that black car-

That rear glass is stock on 35 and 36 coupe....

11. I agree, these cars make my head spin. Going to look at a '36 5W this week.

12. ironworks

ironworks

I just bought 36 3 window, 36 ford 5 window But i plan to do some major mods. Since the 5 winder is 4 inches longer I have tought about install in my 3 window parts unto my 5 ,but have a longer roof of the 5 but just 3 winders. DON"T WORRY MY 3 WINDOW IS HAMMERED. I would be interested in seeing the pics that really give you ideas. I just bought the robert williams poster off ebay with the black 36, I believe it is the ed roth barris tribute deal. That car is cool. Here are some pics that gave my major ideas.

Attached Files:

13. ironworks

ironworks

well the rest are to big to post. I will see what I can do. I love the old delahayees, and the 39 - 40 mercs, The don lowe 39 merc is super cool. I will see if he can post the other pics I'm just dumb. Rodger

14. ShortBus

ShortBus

This one stopped at my house on one of BenD's HAMB road trips. not subtle but bitchin.

[​IMG]

It was on its way to a HAMBer somewhere north of me.. Purportedly cut by Sam Barris, the perfect seams on the inside of the top made me a believer.. One horizontal cut with a few vertical slices to correct the shape. No gaps, no patches, no lumps. Just a small, clean bead marking each slice. It was purty!

perfect profile
    [​IMG]

Who owns it now? Speak up ya lucky bastard.

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's lownrusty's 3 window.

It's funny how time changes your perspective...

99% of the time, I immediately dismiss smoothed running boards as an '80s design hallmark, and yet here is one from back in the day exactly the same. However I could not bring myself to run a smoothed running board in 2005, no more than I could run a set of billet wheels. But that's just me.

I know you're sick of seeing it by now, but here's another shot of my Dad's 3 window. Our friend Jon Jon (and Dad's fellow Rattletraps CC. member) is planning for paint to be wrapped in August. His shop, The Body Shop is in Lebanon IN.

[​IMG]

16. ironworks

ironworks

hay shortbus does that olds in the background run? I heard about the ordinance that you can not have any cars with more than 10% rust or not running in your yard. Just checking before someone complains. I know the floors are well oiled so probabley no rust in the floors

Can you get more spec on that 3 winder that was at you house even just a winder measure ment now I can figure from there. Rodger

17. Perfection.

Attached Files:

18. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

here's my favorite 36 3 window

Attached Files:

19. Hey Crew,

Just when I thought A 5 windows were my ultimate car.... i feel so confused...

Danny