Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How should I store my donor drivetrain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Toqwik

Toqwik

I found a good donor for my 53. I picked up a 82 c10 with a low mileage rebuilt 350 and turbo 350. It’s going to be 5-6 months before I get to it so here is my question. It was a fresh rebuild daily driver about 5 years ago. The owner switched jobs to driving the big rigs so it sat all this time. When we started it up it sounded great but after about 10 minutes it started leaking fairly steady from what seems to be the rear main and also the tranny had lost about a quart of fluid. Should I (1) put some Lucas in the motor and trans, run it up to temp and store it, or (2) leave it alone and worry about it once it’s time to swap. Unless I have to I don’t plan to tear it down before I swap it. What’s your thoughts?

Thanks
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

If it’s sat for 5 years as is, then I wouldn’t think sitting another five or six months would be of any consequence. I would fix the leaks and test run it when you are swapping it out.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Snake oil doesn't really fix anything but it does put money in the sellers pocket.
    If it is inside, stick a drip pan under it or a sheet of cardboard that you can swap out every once in a while.
    Unless it is just slinging oil by the bucket I'd just leave it as is, put some Staybil gas treatment in it and fire it up and sneak it around the block or far enough to run it though the gears a couple of times while getting the engine up to temp and then repeat in a few more weeks. If you have the room to store the complete donor until you are ready for the drivetrain you tend to loose a lot less pieces.

Hnstray and H380 like this.
  4. Toqwik

Toqwik

I have had good luck with the snake oil repairs. I was just thinking it might have a better chance at working if I did it now and maybe start it up now and then. Definitely going to leave it in the donor, sure I will end up stealing a lot of bolts and other things off it before it hits the scrapper.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would get it home, pull the spark plugs and put some Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, reinstall the plugs and let it set until your ready. If you want to do an extra step, add some Marvel to the oil and run it a bit before doing the cylinders.
    When ready, I would do a cranking compression test before deciding what it might need before installing it. Stuck rings and lifters are common issues for engines that have sat for some time if they were not prepped for storage.

6. ..I've had very good luck with Lucas oil treatment to stop oil leaks,...worth a try.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Oil up cylinders, tape off openings to prevent critters. If you're leaving the carb on, drain the bowls and hit it with carb cleaner.
    Replace gaskets when youre ready to swap it in.

8. grumpy65

grumpy65

If you're stuck for space, I've got room in my engine bay...............:D:D:D

Hnstray likes this.
  9. oldolds

oldolds

If you can leave it in the truck until you start to do the job. I have had more than one friend hurt themselves when that spare motor fell over on their foot or leg. They also hurt when you run into them. Personal experience!

Hnstray likes this.