Register now to get rid of these ads!

how should i ask?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk fiend, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Mart

Mart

Don't just ask if she wants to sell the car. Ask about it and explain you are an enthusiast, your Mom and Pop mentioned it to you and your curiosity got the better of you so here you are knocking on the door and wondered what it is and would it be possible to get a look at it just out of interest. If she tells you the life story of it listen politely and chirp in with "Wow!" and "Really?" at the requisite moments. If it is something you would care to own, then ask if she has ever considered selling it. It seems it is hard to catch a glimpse of it, so she may not have been asked before.
    You ain't trying to rob her, just be polite, If no bite, leave her some contact details so if she decides to sell it later she will think of that nice polite enthusiastic fella that called round.
    Mart.

2. junk fiend

junk fiend

well i keep driving by and i never see a car in the driveway, the neighbors said that she is only home on sundays or something like that. i would leave a note but id rather try to talk to her in person.

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I did just this...My dad told me there was a 63 Chevy in this one garage but an elderly couple lived there and the only part of the car you could see was the grill cause they had stuff piled all over it. So i stopped to ask them about the car...The lady laughed at me and asked how i saw it with all the stuff on it...She was more embarrassed than anything but she was a sweetheart.....She said it would take them sometime to get to it cause they had alot of yard work to get done before winter (it was summer...) and then re-arrange all the stuff in the garage. I volunteered to do it all and i did just that with the help of my father. We spent the weekend there cutting back the bushes, cleaning the gutters, fixing there fence, cutting the grass & cleaning the garage. Once the garage was cleaned there sat an all original rust free/untouched 63 Chevy wagon straight from Arizona from the mid 70's...Still had the Az tags....Typical maintance & check the stock 6x,xxx og mile 283 started right up...I was so stoked and they were surprised as well...She handed over the paper work & gave me a hug...She could clearly see the excitement in my eyes...
    Thats right...I got the car for free!...It was worth every bit of all the hard work....I was 19yrs old then and sold the car the following year to buy my 1st house. So follow up on it...You will never know unless you ask!!

4. I work for Bell and sometimes get into garages and basments to fix the phone lines. This older german lady had a 57 t bird tucked away in the corner of the basement / garage covered in dust. When I went back upstairs I asked her about it. Her reply was " I like young men who like old cars" :eek:
    Man I got out of there quick..........

5. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

Be honest, be polite, and don't treat her like a little old lady.......most of them just want to be treated like a human being......tell her your mom and dad saw the car and your are just following up on the lead.......stan

6. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

I wouldn't start right out with asking about buying it. Be cool and just let her know how much you appreciate it and how cool it is. Make here feel good about you.

I had a few chopper bicycles that I whipped up for entertainment, hadn't used them in a while, they were leaning on my garage. Some 12 year old kid makes the effort to come up and knock on my door, and ask about the bikes. We go outside and he says, "Man, these are about the coolest things I've ever seen". I said you like 'em? He says ya, you make 'em? I said yup. Man, that's cool. At this point, I'm feeling pretty cool about my junk.

Then he says, what are you gonna do with 'em. I thought about it for a second and said, "well, I was hoping I could give them to somebody that thought they were cool and would ride 'em". He almost yells back, I'LL RIDE 'EM... I smiled pretty big and we loaded them up in my truck and dropped them off at his place. He rode 'em around all summer and even got himself in our local paper riding the bigger chopper around. I even got a mention out of it.

Good kid. I thought it took balls for a 12 year old. Good for him. :)

7. seret

seret

Like I said the Speedo will do the trick.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    But in all honesty you should do what most of the guys are saying <o:p></o:p>
    Knock on the door and tell her you were told she had a vintage car and you were wondering if you could see it. But don&#8217;t ask if it&#8217;s for sale at first. Allot of times when a single older woman has an old car in the garage. More than likely it was her husbands and he died, and she keeps it for sentimental value. On Thursday J-RIPPER stopped at a 75 year old mans house knocked on the door and told the guy he was told he had a 33 ford 3 window coupe, the guy said yes, took him in the garage to see it, bone stock with original Paint he also said he would sell it.... for 80k.

8. junk fiend

junk fiend

just got back from talking to the old lady. she had no problem showing me the car, but when the garage opened i was kind of dissapointed that it was a first gen but it was still really cool. and she says that she starts it every week. whats really sad though is that she is 94 and someone broke into her house and tore it all up. so im going to go over there again soon and help clean it up.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad you finally got to meet the lady, helping her clean up her house is the right thing to do. Ask if she wants locks changed or added, make the place safe for her. Anyone that takes advantage of the elderly is is the same boat as those that abuse children.

10. I finally got around to phoning a guy about a 56 Pontiac that used to belong to his grandfather. Its on his cottage property and his wife wants it gone. Feel free to remove it free of charge but clean up any sign it was ever there he said. I,ll be going this week to get it out if possible. Gotta take a chainsaw with me.....

11. I'm confused. At the beginning you thought it was a 60's T-Bird. Now you say it's a "first gen". Do you mean a first gen T-bird as in 1955-1957? If so, what's to be disappointed in? Or did I miss something? I said I was confused.

12. junk fiend

junk fiend

well at first i never saw it my parents told me about it and they know i want a bullet bird. and yes its 55-57 but i was hoping it was a 61-63 but if she is willing to sell it i may change my mind:D

13. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

If nothing else fix it up and sell it, you could buy a half dozen 61-63 birds for a nice 55-57.

14. 61-63=banana nose. And if she wants to sell you a first gen 'Bird at a good prize, JUMP on it, don't say no!

15. what your bummed cuz it was a early bird ? :confused:
    was it ever mentiioned that it was for sale?;)

heck hotrodding ealy birds pisses lots of folks off too.. so go get it:D

16. junk fiend

junk fiend

well i didnt really want to ask if she wanted to part with her car that she had for 50 something years after her house just got all messed up. she said to stop by again some time so i will ask then.