Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration How rare is a 1960 Chevy bel air , 2dr hardtop with a factory 4 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lgh1157, Mar 13, 2013.

1. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Nice find!
    I would have kept the 'Race Car In Tow" License Plate holder. Cool!

2. RatPin

RatPin

Man you let that go for cheap!

3. Early 59's were 315 HP solid lifter 348's with three two's. The four speed cars seemed to come out when the 335 HP engine became available. You can tell a 315 from a 335, if it is original, by the extra idler with a short fan belt on a 335. It was a back up to keep the water pump turning if a fan belt broke.
    Paul

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  4. I meant ther 4 speeds came out with the 335 HP cars. There were 4 barrell solid lifter 348's too, I think 320 HP for NASCAR.

5. steve_smith54

steve_smith54

I would give my eye teeth to have a '60 Chevy Bel Air 2 Door hardtop. I love my Bel Air 2 Door sedan, but I'd still love a hardtop. My dream is at least a very original looking Sateen Silver and Ermine, 283 speed overdrive, 2 door hardtop.

Attached Files:

triman62 likes this.
  6. Total awesome ride what a score keep us updated your going on my watch list, looks like most of it is still factory based car. Wonderful find don't let that one get away.:cool:

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The tach's a mechanical driven one, either off the distributor or the generator (like early Corvette's were), and, in the pic of the carb, you can just barely see the tach hookup goes to nothing (or am I seeing a vacuum hose/hose clamp?). So, the tach does't currently work (?), as a tach drive distributor is not in use (?). The key is a re-set for the highest RPM the engine ran on a run; re-sets to zero (tattle-tale tach). It's too bad the car sat for so long; any idea how long? Be sure and post it here in the classifieds if you do put it up for sale. I am butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this thread is over 2 years old.....