Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much work required to remove Model A visor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonFly, Oct 6, 2009.

1. VonFly

VonFly

Is a Model A exterior visor attached with fasteners? Or is it a bigger project to remove it than that? I've seen one without, where the owner was trying to make the body more "32"-like.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanna say they are nailed in place, based on a couple that I have laying around. I think when the top cover is put on and stretched it is then held in place with a trim piece across the front and the nails keep the whole shubang in place. Would depend on the year, maybe. 28/29 vs. 30/31. I'm not 100% sure on this though. Maybe I can learn a thing or two from your thread also.

Are you sure the the car you saw wasn't a slant windshield car like a Vicky or something? They came from the factory without a visor and had several features that were carried into the '32 body style.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

28-29 Car visors are held on to the wood header by screws running from beneath the visor on the outside of the car. The ends are held in place by two screws on each side into the windshield post.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Learning something already...

5. squirrel

squirrel

Taking it off is the easy part...filling in the hole it covered up (and making it look good) is when the fun begins

6. kirby1374

kirby1374

i'm in the middle of this on my 30. mine is nailed on under the top fabric and held on with a screw on each side.

7. It ain't gonna look like a 32 if you remove the visor,the windshield is square at the top and a 32 windshield is rounded like the roof.

,,and that's what makes a Model A cool,,,why try and change a unique look,,,

Nothing in this world wrong with a Model A looking like what it is! HRP

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

[​IMG]

screws into the wood header(with wood screws), and on the sides,into the A pillar with 2 screws per side.
    as said before...without it , it dont look right..Its an A...not a 32..its supposed to look like an A

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I believe the 30-31 Car and Pickup visors are held to the face of the windshield posts by two screws inside the visor at each end. Across the top they are slotted and held to the wood header by a multitude of small nails.

10. i agree , removing the visor would look like crap on a regular A .....but a model A slant windshield 4-door and the A Vicky didn't have a visor. maybe you can say that's the beginning of the 32 styling

[​IMG]

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man! You said it, right there!! I have a slant windshield car that doesn't get a visor and I had to fill those nail/trim slots. What a nightmare!! I basically welded a stip to the back side and welded up EACH SLOT! Was real tricky, as not to get too much heat into the area. Will still need a skim coat when all is said and done. :eek:

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The (what would be called) "under visor panel" on a slant windshield car is very different from all other Model A's that use an actual visor. They're certainly not for everyone.

And YES! There were a TON of features that were carrried over into the 32, from these cars...

[​IMG]

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Druss32 put a '32 header panel on his '31 victoria and Bass put a '32 header panel on his 28 coupe. That's about as close as you are going to get without cutting the entire roof off and making it fit. Druss32 did a whole "tech thread" on how to do the conversion. It's very involved and '32 roof panels aren't exactly available at every corner market, either.