Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much will this go for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fatrod, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Well, there you have it. BTW, I never said it wasn't Doanes car. Also, the 1.3 million is, probably, gold chainer hype, much like the hand forged suspension pieces. Hand made, perhaps. Beaten out on an anvil.......... Hmmmmm

2. BobMcD

BobMcD

I am going out on a limb and say it will be in the $6-700,000 range only because of the pedigree.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Regardless of price...................there's an ass for every seat.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hey, Carl,

I agreed with your original post.......and I liked the analogy about "ownership" credentials.

Also agree with conclusions expressed in your latest post.

Not sure what "there you have it" means.........:)

Ray

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I htink that 1.3 should be 1/3 of a mil. Come on, Spencer had a cool rod and as years went on it became iconic not because Doane Spencer built it but because it was well built and survived. Now did he finish this one? Has it survived to reach icon stage? NO on both counts. Just spin, spin, spin. For 1.3 mil imagine what you could buy (making sure to set enough aside for a bigger garage). Well made, good looking vehicles that you would drive an not view as a holy investment.

6. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Yep. The steering wheel is very cool...but that S2 button would have to go.

7. It's not that some people think they are God's gift to the building of custom Automoblies,It is that they are able to convince "money poeple" that they are.

8. alchemy

alchemy

If the McMullen roadster just sold for $700,000, I'd guess the original Spencer roadster might go for the same. This car could then be worth half the value of the original Spencer roadster ($350,000) to the right idiot.

9. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

10. Weasel

Weasel

Absofuckinlutely - IFS on a hiboy - streeeeeet rod. Sorry but I find this whole thing an ego stroking exercise in futility or how to burn through a lot of money and ending up with a blow up doll instead of the woman you really wanted....:rolleyes:

11. ninosdad

ninosdad

THE Doane Spencer roadster is at the Peterson Museum likely never for sale. THAT is the ultimate hot rod. Spencer had a 57 T-Bird he raced and was known as Mr. Bracket. Tons of his work on this car but 1.2M lots of $$$ but the market is returning and lots of guys with no skills and big bank balances. My parents went to Glendale High with Spnecer and my Mom said he went by Duane in school. Bruce Meyers owns the original

12. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Personally, I think the car sucks.

Unfortunately, there are enough people with more money than brains in this hobby that I could see the car bringing at least mid 6 figures.

13. jesse1980

jesse1980

Im thinking around 100,000 to 150,000.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  14. jesse1980

jesse1980

I don't see why just because " a big shot" built the car it's worth hundreds of thousands more than if the average joe built it. It's worth what its worth, and the rich idiot that pays 10 times for a car than what it costs to build is a damn fool in my book.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I guess it depends on how valuable the name Spencer is. Just because a guy builds a bad ass car, doesn't mean the ones later will be. The Barris cars prove that. As well as others. And now we have this one by Spencer or his involvment in.

IMO, since he didn't finish it, it's not really a Spencer. But folks with big wallets seek things like this out for reasons I'll never understand.

16. 1.3 Mil and they couldn't afford an editor? It's spelled "R-O-U-S-H".

17. alchemy

alchemy

This comment is ridickulus. How's about I trade you a painting I did for that Picasso hanging in your living room?

18. That car also happens to have the last race engine Doane ever built. There is quite a bit of history there. No, it is not traditional, but Doanes craftsmanship oozes out of every pore of that thing. I think a lot of these comments are insulting to Doane Spencers legacy as one of the pioneers of hot rodding.

19. jesse1980

jesse1980

I don't care what anyone says, I'll stick to my previous posts, if it upsets people, so be it, it is what it is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. This is mine.

20. jesse1980

jesse1980

Not all of us on the site are into those cars, some of us like 50s and 60s hot rods

21. I am a little amazed at the apparent lack of knowledge here concerning these high end builds. Many of the cars that compete for the Riddler and AMPR go well over the $1.3m cost that is reportedly in this car, and this car is on that level of build. This is a fact, not some ego stroke that guys make up a number and throw it out there. This is the amount of money that guys that have a ton of it will spend to compete at that level and have exceptional quality cars built. Is that an ego stroke? Maybe, but I know some of the guys who have that level of car and have spent that kind of money and some are very down to earth guys who have just been more successful in life than others and do things the way they want to because they can afford it.
    It's funny but a friend who passed away a few years ago had the largest collection of military aircraft in private hands, and spent many millions on these planes and their restorations. Didn't hear the aircraft aficionados saying stupid things like he was a gold chainer! Instead he was generally praised for his collection and restoration efforts.
    If you don't like this car, that's fine, it's your prerogative, but to belittle the car, the man, and the owner (present and future) is just being petty with ugly jealousy.

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Folks are awfully quick to flush this thing down the toilet. The steering wheel is rad. For what it is, it does what it does very well.

And I don't need to hear no traditional lecture from anyone.

23. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Doane Spencers is the man, Bruce Meyers have saved allot of the classic hotrods and so on. That have a Spencer motor but Meyers built it together, not my style and the price is riducules, still someone with to much money is gonna buy it...

24. Me too! The instruments are pretty amazing too. Would like to get a better look at the hand forged bits & pieces on the car.

25. jesse1980

jesse1980

First of all no one is belittling any thing. The question is what will it go for . People are saying what THEY think it will go for. That car on Craigslist would go for 50,000. Add the history and guys name to it, I'd say another 100,000 to 150,000. Having money or not had nothing to do with it. Wealthy people over pay for these cars and keep the rest of us middle working class people that actually understand what it takes to built one of these and respect the hobby out of reach of one of these. That's bullshit, they just put the damn car next to 20 other ones and say yeah, I picked it up for a million, so and so built it. If that's what you call respecting the car, who name is on it, and who built it, then so be it, but I will never see it that way. Barrett Jackson , mecum and all those auctions ruined it for us WORKING middle class people that live the hobby.

26. Classism is lame. Stop making excuses:rolleyes:

27. jesse1980

jesse1980

Excuses for what???

28. jesse1980

jesse1980

Classism might be lame but it exsits.

29. jesse1980

jesse1980

Be careful anyone posting on here, if you don't share the same point of view on this car or price opinion you will be belittled.

30. I like mine better!

Attached Files: