Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much lube and what type? Frankland Quickchange.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nocero, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Nocero

Nocero

How much lube main case and back gears? and what type? For a Frankland Quickchange.

2. Nocero

Nocero

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373680604.154323.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. racemad55

racemad55

Take a plug out of your rear cover, fill your main case,I use amsoil synthetic suggested by retired racer, It will take a while to get through the bearings in back of the spur gears,they should be shielded not sealed bearings. Probably start with 4 quarts. Do you have tube seals on the outside of the carrier bearings ? Be patient waiting for the lube to start coming out the rear cover.

4. k9racer

k9racer

...............................................................................All this is correct. I have found on old units that have been together a long time I use the old style 85 or 140 fluid as they the 2 different types some time dont like to mix.

5. Nocero

Nocero

Yes I have axle seals and the bearings are shielded not sealed. I'm not real familiar with these. So I'm guessing the lube will seep thru and fill the back gears? I had always assumed you filled the front and back seperatly. Also if it makes any difference I'm running a ratcheting locker.

6. racemad55

racemad55

Bearings are shielded so when you change gears between hotlaps or heat races you don't dump all the oil,gives you plenty of time,then you just fill back up with one of the small plugs in the rear cover. I've changed enough of them back in the day!

7. Nocero

Nocero

Makes sense. thank you!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. racemad55

racemad55

What's the rear going in, and are you going to Syracuse?

9. Nocero

Nocero

It's in a model a coupe. Nope not going to make Syracuse.

10. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have an old Frankland with cast iron side bells. It also has a ratchet unit. Have you used this on the street yet? If so how does it react to slow cornering?

11. Nocero

Nocero

"I have an old Frankland with cast iron side bells. It also has a ratchet unit. Have you used this on the street yet? If so how does it react to slow cornering?"

I haven't drove it yet. I have a feeling it's going to be a little annoying. Just pushing it around in the garage I can hear the ratchet clicking pretty loud while turning. Now that its full of lube maybe it will be a little quieter.
    Good question though! Anyone else have any insight on that?

12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

They are noisy but work good and are part of the HOT ROD life ! Gary