Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Much Does it Cost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BinderRod, Aug 24, 2006.

1. BinderRod

BinderRod

I love people that think they can build a hot rod for a couple grand. Ive got over 15 in mine and I'm still not done. Wishfull thinking, Keith in Missouri

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

You'd be surprised what some people can do with a couple grand.

3. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

the term "built for $xxx" is thrown around pretty loosely. Do people count shipping? Parts they had lying around? I know I couldn't build a car I would drive fast for a couple grand! Cheapest we got our T-bucket was $8500 from scratch, including shipping, tax, etc., but we splurged in some areas :D

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I love you too!:D

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'll probably have $5000-$6000 into my Model A by the time I get it on the road, and it still needs more to "finish" it!!

Knowing what I know now, I could probably knock $1000-$2000 or more off the build price, but it was my first Model A build, and I did a couple stupid things. One of my favorite quotes has been "I did it right, because I did it TWICE!!"

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

ill have 6 grand in my c-dan and then the cashy stuff happens..like, paint tire/wheels, glass, interior, dressup parts..etc.....lookin at around 3 million or so...:D

7. TorqueWench58

TorqueWench58
    from Plano TX

well the cost doesn't reflect it being done "right...." and right to me may not be right to you... but it's gota make you happy or what is the point!!!

8. Mutt

Mutt

I like Pie.

Mutt

9. I don't know how little we are considering a "couple of grand". If you mean out the door for $2000 that's pretty tough. I could see it if you:

a. found a dirty cheap car that didn't need anything

b. if everything you needed was given to you - just 'cause people love you.

c. if everything you needed was given to you - but you had to trade out something else in return.

I have talked to alot of people who have gone the last two routes...

If I remember right though RF brought up this subject in an editorial a few months back. I think that nice cars can still be built for $10K - ALL costs. I am trying to put an F100 together for $10K right now. I have bought everything that I will need to complete it, except tires. It could still use paint if I decide to (it was repainted about 10 - 12 years ago I estimate). My cost right now with vehicle purchase, all parts, and all costs I have spent $6504.48.

The hobby is still very affordable if you are wise in it.

10. Hell, I'm at a grand already, and I don't have anything tangible to even post a decent picture up yet. I don't think another thou is gonna help, either!

11. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ive been doing this for a while and after I sold my 34 ford and made about 9 or 10k ya right . Depends how you figure it. I started on my 32. Easy now..
    Glass body and all new shit just trying to do it as cheap as I could.. well you dont wannna know:eek: Ive looked at the swap meet stuff lately and its outragous so how could you build a car that cheap unless your stealing the shit:confused: And ya 20 years ago id buy it but not today its hard if not impossible to do
    Dave

12. What's the point of this thread anyways?

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

we just wanna tell you how much money we had:D:D:D
    get it........... had:D:D:D
    Dave

14. Chuck R

Chuck R

I like pie too. I like Peach Pie, Berry pie, Apple pie, in general I like Pie.

It will cost you what you can affford to spend plus 20%. If it was easy everyone would have one. Havent you noticed you always just want to do one more thing to your ride, or ad one more little swap meet piece, that will make it perfect. Thats where the plus 20 % comes into play.
    chuck

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...ahahaha...I got $432,000 in mine and it still don't run!...:D ...no really...:rolleyes: who cares...

16. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I did it...you said HOT rod, as opposed to STREET rod.

17. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i have some friends with decent lil rods for a couple grand, most are SBC with newer rear end etc...

im going ALL 57 or earlier on mine (was gona be 53, but sold out after i got a 57 ponti/olds rear for a SONG!)... im about $6k into mine, after payin the infamous bob bleed to make me a frame, and do the roller welding work... had i dont it myself, there is a nice chunk of change, and i rushed to get parts... if i built one over time instead of gathering all parts in a month or two, i could have $4000-5000 into it now, i would say as a ROUGH guess way on the higher side of things i need $1000 in parts more to finish her up well enough for me to smile, tehn add a few lil cool things over the years...

i tell ya what i can do though, build a bike for a couple grand thats worth 5-6k with ease, but who cant, LMAO!

18. demonspeed

demonspeed

I picked up my car for $2200 in complete running condition with no rust. Its a 1954 ford mainline sedan painted in black primer, lowered, with shaved handles. The drivetrain is a 223" inline 6 with a 3 spd. on the column. Its slow as hell and its far from a show car but its solid and runs great.

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well I have posted this before, so I hope I don't tick you guy's off, but the whole idea on this build was to build a beater with a heater as cheap and bullet proof as possible. as you see it with engine, trans, rear suspension and front suspension done with brakes, used recore radiator, I have just under $3,500. in it,....... yes there are a lot of left over parts and swap meet stuff on it, but I am trying to stay under a $6,500. budget.
    I need to mount the master cyl. and peddle assm., the steering box, and chop the doors, but I have just about all the hard parts that is included in the 3.5 K ammount,....... now if I can just finish all the other work I have and get back to work on this one !
    [​IMG]
    the 33 grill and hood is just on there for the time being, it will be replaced with 34 parts.

20. BinderRod

BinderRod

This one looks cool. Can you post a picture of your other one? Please.

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]
    Sold this one,.....
    [​IMG]
    A old picture of the garage,.....
    [​IMG]
    "the Holding Cell"
    [​IMG]
    And the Wayward coupe that just came home.

I wasn't sure what other one you were talking about.

22. labelkills

labelkills

[QUOTEI wasn't sure what other one you were talking about.[/QUOTE]

thats nice

23. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

When the term "Done" gets involved the cost increases accordingly.from the looks of your pic. throw the glass in and grab a bed and go cruisin,

24. kropduster

kropduster

a fellow club member bought this 63 a while back for $300 and drove it home with 44,xxx on the clock. after new tires $350 and all the brakes $800, $5 for some old springs with a turn cut off to get 'er down hes @ $1455. it still needs exhaust and a filler tube for the gas tank (and a few more cans of primer), so figure him in for just under $2k......i wish i could find deals like that.

Attached Files:

25. It costs twice as much as you're willing to spend and three times the work.

26. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

Should be able to build an A for less than 10000.
    Paul

27. Most I have ever spent on one ride was about $4200.

But Im not too picky either. Obviously. Lol

CR

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It all depends on taste.

29. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

[​IMG]

Just the cost of the boxed steel tubing and all the metal required to build my chassis by myself added up to a hefty bill, not to mention all the tig rod and several trips to fill my large Argon tank...and throw in all the power used.......I did only shell out 675 bucks for the body...In my opinion a couple of grand will get you squat...........Its all art...........and then theirs the hungry artist sales in the hotels...It really is all about what you want..................But if you are on a tight budget for real..you can still put something together pretty cheap, if you do not mind the wait..with patience it can be done..and still build something that is true to you..now if your like me and want to build one of each.............your in trouble my friend ,my mind seems to be about two cars ahead of me along with the cash needed.......but if your cheap just to be cheap..............life will pass you by...............If your complaining about being broke because you bought to many parts or whatever for your project, than this may be the wrong hobby for ya....You got to love it all.the good and the bad......and try not to get divorced in the process and keep the shoes on the kids..................that in its self can be challenging...........its all about balance...............thats enough crazy babble from me...Littleman...Really what is your time worth......some may have done something cheap..and I know it could be done, but if the end result is a completion of your vision, than home run...no matter what the end price was................who really adds them receipt up anyways..............besides the ones trying to prove something..........or the ones that do not get it anyways...it just has to mean something to you once your finished...if their ever finished....its a hobby and for some of us a way of life........as misserable as it can get.....

30. demonspeed

demonspeed

littleman that car is bitchin! i agree with your point too. At some point you just gotta build what you want and worry about paying for it later.