Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How much clearance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by singledownloop, Dec 2, 2017.

1. singledownloop

singledownloop

How much clearance does a 64 chevy pickups stock unmodified frame need between it and the rearend axle tubes at static ride height.I'm not running air ride and not planning to c my frame,thanks.

2. samurai mike

samurai mike

four inches

singledownloop likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Probably depends on the spring rate, and how fast you approach those bumps in the road. 4 inches is the sensible answer, but you can probably cut that just a little bit if you have stiffer springs and drive careful.

4. what Squirrel said,...but I'd go 3"....if somethin doesn't bottom out once in awhile, it's not low enuf.

5. Ya. A lot will depend on springs and shocks, and how the roads are where you live. The type of driving you do it.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't hear and feel the axle hit the frame when you go over a bump you have enough. That said, if it hits too much you can end up with a cracked or broken frame. The frame under my truck has a repair because the axle hit it all too often.
    On your truck I'd go with the shorter lowering coils rather than lowering blocks though.