Register now to get rid of these ads!

How messy is your shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahawes, Jun 1, 2011.

1. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

A clean what????[​IMG]

2. fleet-master

fleet-master

I work from clean floor to clean floor....its only fair that if the mess came from fixin the customers car...and i started with a clean floor..I should end with a clean floor.
    My shop is a bit of a dust factory though...so once a month or so I clean and organise the whole workshop mostly on my own time

3. fleet-master

fleet-master

true...but when it gets toooo dirty..productivity goes down. Same with havin too many vehicles in the shop,if you gota move a car so you can work on another well you know.....

4. bluestang67

bluestang67

It's a 20 X 24 attached that has path ways around 2 cars torn down . A hazard to say the least . It took it's mental tole a long time ago so this should be pored tomorrow and framing next week . ( rain hold off for at least 3 days )

Adding The Tunnel Of Love

16 X 32

[​IMG]

5. customcory

customcory

If I clean up my shop too much, I find that I can't work in it as good till it gets a little cluttered again. I like to leave all my tools out till I'm done. Its like putting on clean clothes and then trying not to get dirty again. It can take me up to 4 or 6 hours to get in the groove again, I may have some mental problems.:D

6. Deuces

Deuces

You don't want to know... :eek::eek::eek:

7. Sonofabitch, how much HP you running there :D

8. hotdamn

hotdamn

put 7 dudes in roughly 4,000 sq ft. and what do you think?:)

(disclaimer) I am just as bad if not worse than everyone else...

9. Alex S. L.

Alex S. L.
    BANNED

Mine looks like a tool/crap bomb went off in it.

10. hotdamn

hotdamn

bro I feel ya, I am the same damn way! put my tools up and I cant find any damn thing:D

11. I'm too ashamed to say and too embarrassed to post pictures. Nuff said - It's a sty

12. Mart

Mart

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

currently, its BAD

14. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

Messy at home due to no time to pick up. work is a different story. tools usually get put back after each job so i can find them faster on the next job.
    home
    [​IMG]

Work
    [​IMG]

home
    [​IMG]

work
    [​IMG]

15. SLCK64

SLCK64

Garage here, not a shop necessarily. Effin messy is mine, getting straightened out tho. Bringin the car home this weekend hopefully.

16. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Just a 2-car garage where I had my bike and my truck ... over time it got pretty messy, but I bought a 49 Chevy so I had to spend several day in 100+ heat to clean and reconfigure the space. Now it's clean, not at all messy, and all 3 toys are in it along with tools, storage, etc. But it's pretty crowded.

Barry
    wishing I had a 3-car or a larger lot w/o an HOA

17. dirtcop

dirtcop

I keep mine pretty neat. I pick up at end of each work day and sweep floor pretty much every day (the wind is pretty bad around here so debris is everywhere if door is open). But it also depends where I am on a project. If just starting there are body and engine parts everywhere. If finishing a project, like I am now on my '40' Ford, everything is pretty neat again.
    I have a friend that I help on his projects that lives nearby. I don't think he's cleaned up his garage in the ten years he's lived there. Drives me crazy.

Attached Files:

18. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

Sorry to admit I'm like JFG455, clean up at work, messy at home. It really used to gripe me working in steel fab shops, when some guys were real gung-ho, impressed the boss by working real fast, but left the mess for everyone else.... GRRR! so I always cleaned up after myself....
    At home? well, I try....

19. corpsewheelie

corpsewheelie

i clean up my garage after i work, which is pretty much every day and ill have a couple beers and some tunes while im at it, then i sit down in my clean garage and just enjoy it, look at the model A and think to myself hmmm whats next haha.

20. mr.c

mr.c

I have always had more stuff than space. I used to build Jag race engines for a Brit that had a team of classic Jag race cars. He thought that my shop was such a hoot and sent people down under the guise of picking something up but actually he sent them to see my shop. It was was funny to him but when he needed something for his racecars friday night for a weekend race when everything was closed, I could go right to the part and find it. It may have been on the floor under the grinder, but I knew where it was. His race shop of course was pristine but there wasn't much work going on in there and he paid someone to clean it. Things changed for him when his sugardaddy sponsor went belly up and the race shop now had to support itself. It quickly became a dump as reality set in and getting actual work done became more important than a spiffy shop. I don't remember if I was classy enough not to mention that to him.
    In 2004, I built a 50'x80' shop and quickly filled it with existing "stuff" and still have 6-8 trailer loads of stuff in South FL. and no place to put it. I have hogpaths through the equipment and storage shelves. Anything flat has something on it. My next project is balconies to reclaim some work space.
    I have been accumulating tools and cars for over 50 years. I do all of my own work. I don't farm anything out. I just buy the equipment to do it myself and come out ahead in the end. But the nasty side effect is the massive amount of storage space required. And a good memoryis required to remember where things are. If some do gooder decided to help me out and organize my shop, he might as well push it all in the dumpster with a skid steer. It would be lost forever in plain sight.
    A long way to say that I have a messy shop. I may have some photographic proof to back it all up.

Something that also factors in is the shear number of projects on your list. For someone that has one or two projects, keeping a clean shop is just a whole lot simpler. I have about a dozen of my own project cars and spare pieces parts are required for all of them.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  21. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

Brings to mind George Carlin on the difference between "SH*T & STUFF": Hey, move your sh*t, I have to put my stuff there....

22. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

i try to clean/straighten every sat morning.by sat evening it could use cleaning again.its so full of stuff i store my 4 wheeler and motorcycle in the bed of the truck im building

23. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Not very messy since my wife got tired of tripping.

24. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I took a few pics this weekend.I don't know how I let it get this bad but I am reformed now and have started to sell,scrap or throw stuff out.I will be cleaning up my garage till I can work on my 32 Ford and drive-sell my roadster.

Attached Files:

25. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Here is a pic of the back of it.I bought it around 1982 and still have not built it which I am glad because it would have had stainless 4 bar front end and coilovers in the rear but now it be built more traditional.Oh there is also a 348 with tripower hiding in there that is going into the 32.

Attached Files:

26. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

i barely really read that, and now i feel dumb. what it is, is the computer in my garage has a bad keyboard from getting wet. so stuff doesnt work sometimes, or sometimes it just plain effs up

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My garage looks like a junkyard exploded inside!!

28. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Lately it looks like a fucking late model chevy pick up bomb went off.
    Tomorrow it'll get semi cleaned, then my off topic car rolls in for a fuel pump

29. ahawes

ahawes

Well the dirty ass shop cost me $128.32 just now. Painting the flatbed on my girlfriends OT truck and when I finished she pulled it out and ran over a piece of round tubing that my brother left on the drive and in the most freakish manner possible it goes through the sidewalk on the right front tire... Awesome! Looks like I'll be spending a few days cleaning the place up soon.

30. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Mine is pretty bad at the moment and I cant stand it. It usually stays pretty clean and its time to tidy up as soon as I get a chance.