Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many of your jobs are not car related???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

bassitbawl jawb...I gotta bassitbawl jawb.....

2. spicalan

spicalan
    from Georgia

Tattoo artist and Pinstriper

3. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Defense industry drone, flunky, lackey, whatever you wanna call it. It pays the bills.

Took the job because turning wrenches doesn't pay enough to be worth my time or anybody else's either.

Also taking a welding class, just like nearly everybody else who's posted in this thread.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

For many years I ran my speed shop "Com Tech" and later after loss of a partner it became "RPM" ,race cars and rods, as a nite time after work thing,funny thing was even after running it full time most hrs were late anyway,when others could get there. In the daytime I had a few def jobs
    over time,first one was a set designer/builder for Coconut Grove Play House,then Packaging design for MEAD Corp.:cool:

5. my job has nothing to do with cars, my pleasure does.

6. 54 savoy

54 savoy

commercial painter [churches, schools a police station comming soon,remember that franklin police] ready to move on but with the economy i'm just happy to be working,i'm gonna try to start some stuff on the side car related maybe,hopefully it will grow,

7. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Man I could make you a peanut and corn sandwich that would bring tears to your eyes.

8. 60rftc

60rftc
    from LBC

Locomotive Engineer. The railroads are always hiring.

9. Project Manager for an Architectural and Engineering firm, we do remodels for Walmart… plenty of work. Sometimes I wish I was in the car related business....

10. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

Commerical Industrial electrical designer/estimator. I do cars to get away from what I do for a living

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Well I made aircraft parts in a very "traditional " aircraft factory, until I got laid off, other then the avionics planes are still built the same way they were in the 40's when the company started. all by hand on old crap machinery.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Was a Manufacturing Engineer, now a Software Systems Engineer trying to survive 5 more years with the company I work for. The Hot Rod and old Harley satisfy the tinkering I had to give up because of the career switch over.

13. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I scrupt hawt chicks:

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Working for a major pvc plastics manufacturer for almost 35 years. Getting close to retirement.... if we stay in business long enough.:eek:

Somewhat car related, as the pvc is used in interiors, etc...

15. 55courier

55courier
    BANNED

Iam a Stationary engineer for the Dept of corrections. I work in a maximun security prison, running boilers. I work around people who have stolen a few cars... Does that count??

16. Fro

Fro
    from Joplin Mo.

Machine shop supervisor in the waterjet cutting systems industry, was a real busy one till they layed off 75% of my shop.

17. 55courier

55courier
    BANNED

Clever Brooks?

18. Coast Guard.....I'm tired of boats when I get home so I like to play with the cars.

19. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

ATV Test Engineer.

They have 4 wheels, does that count???

20. JasonHehn

JasonHehn

Fireman, currently assigned to a heavy rescue company.

21. chuckbob

chuckbob

I'm a Network Operations Tier 1 Tech for a large utility. Started out 35 years ago running large scale mainframe systems. That was before the advent of the personal computer or servers. I lucked into the computer field while in between mechanic jobs back in the mid 70's and never looked back. I hope you find something soon.

22. Snake9t9

Snake9t9

I'm a hydro-electric dam operator. Was a facilities operations group lead for ten years prior and before that a gas turbine mechanic in the u.s. Navy.

23. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I don't have a job. Everyone in my area would rather hire illegal immigrants with fake green cards and more civil rights than a 16 year old kid who desperately needs a real consistent pay job. Theres my rant for the day.

24. nikdoestattoos

nikdoestattoos

Im a tattoo artist...it aint the greatest job but it works real well when you need parts for your car...everyone wants a tattoo but never has money.Shit i built my 54 on trades for tattoo work.

25. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Was building street rod wiring harnesses for about 10 years for my uncle starting when I was 15, Kwik Wire. Moved onto do some other things, not car related as a full time job. But, I still help them out at shows and occasional troubleshooting from time to time.

26. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Cost Accountant for a packaging corporation. They supply Ronald with Big Mac boxes (among others).

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Screening officer for TSA for the past seven years.

In previous lives:
    Worked for Gulf State paper making tv dinner boxes and other printed boxes.
    Mechanic in independent, tire and dealer shop. Mainly doing front end work.
    Auto shop teacher at high school level for 13 years.
    Auto parts counterman for a few years
    Ag parts counterman
    Industrial parts purchasing and inventory control.
    Mechanic on a 3000 cow dairy operation. Working on shit trucks in the middle of winter isn't fun.

Retire or semi retire in three or four years.

28. 69fury

69fury

"Thank you for calling Medicare, my name is Richard. How can I help you?"
    "uh huh..... uh huh........ um, you got a letter?"
    "do you know who sent you the letter?"
    "you didn't read the letter?"
    "did you keep the letter?"
    "not a problem, we'll just start from the beginning. Can i have your Medicare number so I can locate your records?"
    "It's the number directly under your name on the Medicare card"
    5FOOT3INCHGREENEYE...."m'am, that's your driver's license"
    "No m'am, this is Medicare"
    "No m'am, you called us"
    "I'm fine, m'am how are you?"

It's like that alot on the phones. I actually don't do phones very often anymore (i handle letters, Powers of Attorney, claims info, and other legal documents).

But seriously, 90% of all problems stem from people taking action based on what they THINK the process is..... JUST FRICKIN CALL FIRST! or heaven forbid READ THE HANDBOOK, OR READ THE Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) that details the payment info regarding the claim.

If anyone has any questions about how stuff works-hit me up. I wont go into personal records (i wont violate HIPPA/Privacy Act) but i can give tips as to How stuff works/How to avoid having all your efforts sent back to you (then you miss deadlines)

29. I've been working on the railroad, all the live long day ... We're "restoring" an 1891 steam locomotive, and the gig's supposed to last through this year. Here's a journal box after being machined, after we poured lead babbitt. Let me know if you want to see more pics.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

30. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

Workplace trainer, hopefully teaching people how not to create major chemical incidents and not blow themselves or others up.