Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many of you have a grease gun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Oct 18, 2010.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

i've developed a scary theory; a lot of us don't have or use a grease gun.
    from reading some recent threads and complaints about noisy, or hard handling cars, i've started to wonder if a lot of us don't realize that it used to be a RITUAL thing to lube the car every once in a while.... older cars in particular (up to and into the '50's, at least)... many cars in the '60's extolled the virtues of "sealed for life" bearings, etc... but "life" wasn't expected to be 50 years for those cars.... ( not that we're Doctor Frankenstein or anything).

i'm also suspicious that many "new" car guys aren't as familiar with their car as they ought to be. doing the monthly "lube job" was a good way to keep an eye on tie rod and ball joint boots, u-joint clips, brake lines....

dig out your service manual and do a lube job this weekend before you set out on the road. the dirty side of the car is equally as important as the shiney side!

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. russ1403

russ1403

i do,,and use it for sure

3. I got one from my dad that is probably older than me, and yes, I use it

4. cozee

cozee

Just one??? I ain't given up the other 4 or 5 I have around the garage!!!

5. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

yes sir,,, it was a journey of self discovery ,, "the old hmmm lets grease the old ball joint and see what happens" moment...

the old desoto never turned better and smoother,, after that i did every grease nipple within site , never even considered the water pump, till i found the nipple , man did i fill that sucker ,, what fun

highly recommend this tool ... is one of your greatest workshop assets!!

6. Sad thing is that lots of late models have NO provisions for grease, nada

7. A wise old mechanic friend, Arthur Richmond, who did mechanic work into his 90's, said he never saw any thing wear out due to over-lubrication.

DaveH_RRTX, Thaplumbr and chopper99 like this.
  8. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

Yeah I've got one, use it every oil change.

9. Got 4 of them with different tips and lengths of hose. All full of grease. Dirty filthy bastards leaking all over. They have taken over the bottom drawer of one tool box but I am glad to have them!

bengeltiger likes this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've owned a grease gun since I worked for the local Cadillac dealer right out of high school in 1968. I still own cars that have grease fittings, and it gets used regularly!

11. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Way back when I was a Pump Jock a guy came in with a squealing water pump in his old truck. I told him he needed a new water pump, but he just chuckled, and said, "Nah, just let me borrow your grease gun". I figured I'd humor him and laugh while he tried to GREASE it. Damned if he didn't show me a nipple on the top of it and as he greased it, the noise just went away. Never balk at the old Farts, now I am one...

12. 55olds88

55olds88

gotta have one, I'm trying to remember how many nipples on the front end of the Olds ita like a party at Hugh Heffners under there...... but not so pink ;)

13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I am ashamed. Hi, my name's Pat and I am in need of a grease gun.

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

I thought everyone had one. How else do you keep the joints lubed and your hair in place?

15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The new ones are sealed really well and the OEM stuff doesn't give trouble on MOST cars.
    My wifes Cavalier has 280,000 Kilometers on it and our roads and conditions can be nasty...pulled the lower control arms out two weeks ago to replace the inner rubber bushings and the original ball joints are still perfect!
    I was shocked to tell the truth!!!

ANY car parts that ARE greasable NEED to be greased often as the sealing isn't as good as on the later ungreasable stuff, so water and dirt can find its way in and wear the joint.
    The new grease flushes it.

I've got a nice, tough grease gun that came from an old Caterpillar tractor repair kit.
    I use a quality wheel bearing grade grease and things seem to last a long time!

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had my grandfathers old one, funny that supposed other 'car guys' would ask what the hell it was! It got taken with everything else........fuckers.

Doc.

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I've got one...

18. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Every spring and oil changes I grease the front end and u-joints on my Acadian.
    As well... a good time to check that all bolts on the trans, engine, motor mounts, etc. are tight, and check out everything else under the car.

19. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I've got maybe half a dozen. My old Triumphs had one in the tool kit.

20. YoungGun

YoungGun

ive got 2 use them at least every other oil change

21. How many? I have two, so you can count me as one.. who has one, so that makes..

22. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I've got three words to say.... 'Pneumatic Grease Gun'. Best invention since the root beer and ice trucks collided.

23. Try a Ford Ranger, those things eat ball joints for lunch. Factory ones are not serviceable, aftermarket are.

24. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

Got one I bought at a farm auction years ago. Go over every grease nipple on the truck every spring, (about every 5000 miles).
    I used to be a tech offical at a circle track and you wouldnt believe the number of u-joint failures on race cars that are due to lack of lubrication.

25. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Got a Ford factory grease gun, and use it at every oil change.

26. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Yep,I think I got 4 or 5. Just yesterday I lubed the 47.

27. I have 3 or 4. I use them every time I change the oil...

28. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

got one and use it!

29. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

Does a pig waller in mud? I think this is what is commonly referred to as a rehtorical question...duh?