Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many are afraid to make changes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Feb 19, 2020.

1. trollst likes this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

I have had one Hot Rod get fresh paint, my '35 Slantback and you know, I should have left it alone. All the rest of my rods do not get paint or touch up.....they are what they are the way they are.
    Yours, I wouldn't mess with it! :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    trollst likes this.
  3. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Hot rods are really never done ARE THEY.

dana barlow and trollst like this.
  4. My 26 T touring was painted 42 years ago , still looks pretty good although it does have some rust coming back thru , lots of chips , flaking and dull spots .
    I have no intentions of painting it , I love it as is
    Set my coffee on it , my wrenches , kids climb in to get their pictures taken never worry about any more paint damage . Slam the door and walk away !!!

trollst likes this.
  5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool truck with your / its own history. Personally I'd be analysing the neglect (your words) into time / useage based deterioration (aka patina) and neglect (or whatever you want to call it) from dirt, grime and repairable matters. The second pic in the original post shows what looks to be a very dusty fender with a cleaner area that seems to be almost accidentally wiped clean. Maybe a few hours of cleaning, polish a few bits and the love will come back? No character needs to be disturbed.

I can talk a good job, but polishing and cleaning isn't my thing either!

Chris

dana barlow likes this.
  6. trollst

trollst

That shiny spot was where my anatomy rested on the fender to open the hood during the months long sleep we call winter. Seems the front of me sticks out more than the back of me. It doesn't get neglected, its the single most valuable thing I own, I love it just the way it is, I'm happy to leave it grow old with me, gives it some character, but I'm also bound by my insurance policy and their expectations, seems they expect rock chips and faded paint, clean as it is to remain pristine, as per my tacit agreement with them.
    Again, not looking for advice, just want to know how other long time hot rod owners cope with time honored wear and road rash, lots of guys on here owned the same car twenty plus years. I'm going to bonneville in her this year, 900 miles either way, 2000 plus for the trip, she'll see lots of bugs, the salt, lots of sun, and more good times.

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Trolls,
    If I remember correctly your truck had a name,,,a pleasant name.
    And you stated that you would never sell her .
    If she means that much to you,,,,,show her the respect she deserves .
    Mask the flames and pinstripes and reshoot the black,,,,,good for twenty more years after that .

Oh yeah,,,,I thought it is a cool truck as well,,,,,that is why I remember this story .

Tommy

trollst likes this.
  8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

yea but somethings are worth the cost ;)

9. The paint on my 64 ford f100 was 12 years old when some damage to my hood needed to be repaired .Unable to match color and shine of resr of truck and repainted it all.
    Sorriest thing I have done as now I worry about scratches and damage . 20181008_112520.jpg

1959Nomad and trollst like this.
  10. I thought the whole idea behind flat black was no worries and not too much money??

I like the idea of taping the stripes the painting to keep boots’ work.

trollst likes this.
  11. trollst

trollst

DSC07206.JPG DSC06609.JPG DSC05383.JPG DSC07102.JPG Yeah, her name is mary, just like a comfortable girlfriend. Thanks Tommy.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.
  12. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Whenever I feel I want to change things up I build another car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I was 12 years in and many miles. This year it was redo or sell. I sold the truck. I can always build another if I want but redo's are irritating. I don't have attachments to vehicles. I have great memories but I make more with every replacement. I agree with Dana on the primer comment. :) Every one I built was better than the one before. The only time I look back is to see how to make it better. :) Repainting it would have made it look better but I don't think I would have had more fun than I had in the beginning. Memories are in my heart and my mind.

14. My avatar coupe is mostly unchanged after 31 years. It's showing some wear and tear for sure.....mostly rock chips. It should be blown apart and redone I suppose, but I'm having too much fun driving it. Like having a "beater".... I don't worry about scratches or even washing it very often. It was built to drive, not polish...still looks good from 50 feet away on a dark night.:D

rod1 and dana barlow like this.
  15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

My paint is close to 20 years and was a screaming deal I could not duplicate.. looks good from 5 feet but many layers of paint are causing shrinkage and other issues plus scratches etc... with 2 kids about to be in college it will be awhile before the whole car gets re done..I did do the rumble lid and rear fenders after the main job...I can't see the imperfections behind the wheel... lol 20180615_172547.jpg 20180615_172547.jpg 20180615_172547.jpg 20180615_172547.jpg 20180520_190909.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  16. 392

The only change won’t happen is, I could do body work and paint to make all happy. But I won’t. Other than that no. Straight up fun.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Had you listened to your painter and let him clear it we probably wouldn't be having this discussion now. Basecoat has no UV protection without clear. 60,000 miles and 26 years on the paint on my impala, still looks great 61.jpg

18. trollst

trollst

Yes, he did tell me that, but I was younger and obviously much smarter than him. Wish I had listened.

19. My old beater last saw a fresh paint job in 1963, admittedly the fenders had some repair before I acquired the car and the owner at that time just shot them in flat black, the hood had to have something done so I shot it with some left over Kirker hot rod semi-gloss black.

I hace considered repainting the car in the past but I have never followed through and at this stage of the game I probably won't re-paint the car. HRP

1959Nomad likes this.
  20. Crocodile

Crocodile

It all depends on the car and the story behind it. My 39 is wearing about 85 percent of it's original paint. The fenders have been fixed, painted, and re-damaged over the years. I have bought some better fenders, but the originals are not too bad, and I don't know if I will ever swap them out.
    My 40 was repainted in 1973, in Meadow green, a 49ish f1 color. I have the reciept, and I was 1 years old at the time. Cost was $85. I wish they had spent $185, but it still looks presentable, and I am loving the fact that it has probably aged better than me.
    My Dad's 40, which is Lyon blue, has never been touched. It has a couple of fender dings/scuffs. It will NEVER be touched as long as I am alive. I think that the biggest reason it hasn't been back on the road is because he wanted the body perfect..,
    My 49 Merc has "patina" Some would try to save it. It will go through a color change and be as good as I can get it.
    My low mileage, off topic 70 Torino has a few flaws, but original paint. I will be dead before someone changes that, either.
    Some cars would loose their "vibe" if "improved". And, Henry only painted them once! But if it needs a paint job, and there isn't the history or personal attachment to justify not doing it, then yes, it needs paint.

trollst likes this.