Register now to get rid of these ads!

How man have sold a classic car to find out it was being shipped over seas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmurphy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

I brought my first Ford shoebox over to Germany in 1996 from Canada.. Wasn't really what I was looking for (I wanted fins), but when I sold it, I saw the loss, because it was one of a few that were around in Germany at that time. So now I bought another one in last december and its on the way......

Never would sell my 59 Elky.......

Check this out for the German Rod&Custom scene:
    http://www.hotheadseast.com/

2. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

If the guy can afford to buy the car here and ship it to Belgium, that means you could have probably doubled your amount and made mad cash on it.

3. kustomrodder53

kustomrodder53

I brought my 66 Buick to England with me... It might not follow me home if I get an honest price for it.

4. bonesy

bonesy

I sold a 71 Volvo p1800 that was shipped off to Norway. No problems

5. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

See now it`s attitudes like this that piss me off. I have lived in asia for quite a few years now and when they get thier hands on some vintage tin boy oh boy do they go full blown on them. Hell the Japanese aren`t trying to copy any body`s style they make thier own and if you ever get a chance to experieance it first hand I garantee it will change your simple minded way of thinking. The last three cars I bought here have been absoulutly perfect. From the `29 model a sedan to the `30 roadster and my `53 chevy. They understand the history behind these cars and fully apprecieate it. So sell it or don`t I really don`t care but don`t try to push your "I`m American and better than you" attitude.
    Okl I`m done and now I`m gonna go hang out with my Japanese hotrodder buddies and have some fun.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Very nicely said... I feel very lucky to call some Asians my friend, they appreciate these old cars a hell of a lot more than a lot of people right here in the US.

7. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

www.cruisinmag.com
    Check out this link and you can see what cars are going for over here. So it`s worth it if your needing some cash or just not getting what you think your car is worth state side. Here`s alittle help on the conversion.
    if the price says 1,300,000 that`s about 13,000 U.S. and if the price says ASK be prepared to here a pretty high price or make an offer.

8. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

ebay.com.au
    ebay.co.uk

9. Bookz

Bookz

I also have lived in Japan for many years and the guys over there build some brilliant cars and really take pride in them.
    The reason they sell so many new cars overseas is quality, reliability and they build what people want. Don't blame them for poor American build quality and reliability plus poor work pratices and unions that priced their members wages so high that the end cost doesn't reflect value ......that is what allowed them to take over the market.
    I'd hate to count up how many containers of parts and cars I've brought from the States but the gear all went to really good homes and I'm due to start raiding you again to get together everything for my next car that will be the car I've been planning for 35 years.

10. 31whitey

31whitey

whoa

that comment above, not going to repeat it and dont know how to quotation, is very sad.

the builds I see, both cars and bikes that come from japan, are absolutly sick.

the builders have the most respect and appreciation for the period parts.

I look 4 inspiration from the japanese bike builders, way more often than the guys here .

11. etboy97

etboy97

I had a 67 Firebird that I sold last month that just left for Norway this week. I thought it was going to be going to Australia but that buyer backed out.

12. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

I was just thinking about this. I work for the city of L.A. and was in a wharehouse in Wilmington (port of Los Angeles) last week that was full of old cars and hot rods in all conditions. Easily 200 cars that were all being loaded into shipping containers to be sent to various contries. It really broke my heart. It acually pissed me off, once gone I doubt these cars will ever make it back. It's all about money and I hate to say it but if I was selling a car and a foreigner came along with the right amount I'd do the same thing all these other guys did. I remember when a decent running '69 Camaro was in the price range of a working high school kid. Those days are gone and will never come back. Oh well, fuck it.

13. A buddy of mine with a wrecking yard used to stash anything "muscle car" and when he had enough, a container would be designated at the port and he would fill it with car bodies and motors, not real SS's and such, but stuff that could make clones, and that was 15-20 yr's ago! This stuff went to Sweden, I believe.

14. wolfgang

wolfgang
    BANNED
    from Norman, OK

This thread is pissing me off. You guys sound like you are bragging or proud that your car was shipped to another country. I go to alot of classic car auctions and hear about all the cars going overseas. I think its bullshit, I would take less money for my car before I would ship it overseas. I want my kids and their kids to experience a little hot rod american culture like I did.

When I was in high school, 1982 not that long ago, there was still alot of hot rods on the roads. A kid with a job could buy a nice muscle car or hot rod. Now, my son is 11 years old. His favorite car is a 1969 Dodge Charger. Do you think he will be able to buy one when he is 16 working part time after school? Hell no, and it only going to get worse if we keep shipping our cars out of here. I drive my 55 as much as possible just so the kids can see something different on the road and maybe get them to thinking about owning a hot rod instead of a fucking Nissan Altima.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worry a lot more about the crushers getting the 60/70s stuff than it being shipped over seas. At least then it gets appreciated. With the price of scrap some of these yards are crushing everything they can get around here and not even thinking of holding back anything that might be interesting to car freaks.
    I'd find him that Charger now, let him mow lawns to pay for it and he will appreciate it when he gets up to where he can drive it. Most of the kids around here are only interested in Hondas with fart cans and big audio systems.
    With the number of guys building a car or two a year just to sell I can see why there is a steady flow of cars overseas.

16. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

Tell ya what. I'll give you ten bucks for your 55, just so it stays in the country. Happy now?

17. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

My bro inlaws 1955 Poncho went to Finland and I painted a 1960 Buick Invicta 2 door Rosewood Brown and White for a finish engineer living here in the states. It left with him back to Finland. He was offered 50 G's sight unseen by a Buick dealer. He said it's a big deal to own a car like that over there. He stated your treated like royalty. He had an offer to store it in the dealer showroom all winter free of charge. Those guys really like US iron.

18. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

not braggin but I sold a 72 chrysler lebron at pomona to a sweede. He siad he was going to run around town for a week in it and then ship it home for resale. pulled out the cash paid for it and I walked home!
    I was happy and hope he was as well!

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

i had a 55 pontiac custom,put it on line to sell because i was moving to new york(came back to california after 4 months,the place sucked ass) anyway,got a call from a russian guy,said he wants to buy the car for a chinese guy in bejing,they didnt want to look at it,drive nothing,just put the money in my account,sent a truck to pick it up,went that night to the docks in LA and went to the bejing auto museum,never saw the car again,never heard from the people who bought it....nothing at all,although when i shipped the car it was slammed on bags at the rear i never told them where the switch to raise it was(it was hidden),dont know if they raised it or not..because they never contacted me again,i suppose they didnt care either.

20. fanspete

fanspete

Sold my '52 Buick Roadmaster rag-top about 10yrs ago to a broker representing a buyer in Italy. Regret selling it way more than I regret where it went! I traded into that thing for a lousy $600 out of pocket, only needed seat leather repair and door panels...there's a tear in my eye.

21. Canada is not Overseas!!!:rolleyes: Sorry ,but we hear this very often from our neighbors to the south.

22. While our dollar was worth $.65 to $U.S. many,many Canadian hot rods and muscle cars were sold to US buyers.;) Thanks to worldwide communication, through places like the HAMB cars are being sold globally.

23. Empire32

Empire32
    from FRANCE

So, what do you think about the great classics you can see at Peeble beach or other Concours d'Elegance in the USA, with lots of classic european masterpieces ? Bugatti, Delage, French 20&30's coachwork, etc... Lots of them still have the originals european licence plates on it, but owned by american guys...

I believe, when a guy buy an american car, and spent $2000 of shipping on it, and again more in US parts (not cheap in Europe), he will take care of the car, don't worry about that.

24. UK,Australia,New Zealand,Japan and all the British Colonial Islands in the Caribbean are RHD;)

25. Taff

Taff

i bought my '49 chevy 2dr sedan from a guy in Texas. It was on eBay. I had looked at a few here in the uk, ut I couldn't find one that was as good as the Tx example. With the weak dollar/strong pound, even the shipping charges are easy to swallow.
    I keep in touch with the vendor, send him pics of the work I have done to it, even some pic of "his" old chevy parked in a castle near here that he asked for. He in turn was good enough to put a six-pack of lone star in the trunk for me!!
    The WWW has made the world a much smaller place for all of us, and made the parts supply a whole lot more reliable too. I ordered up some kin-pins from https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php over the christmas break, they arrived in four days and cost half what a locally sourced set would have done. Hard to argue against those kind of stats.

26. Taff

Taff

Mainland europe is LHD, GB, Aus, NZ, S.Africa and Japan are all RHD

27. sanmartin72

sanmartin72

Had a 1964 Impala SS ,took me 5 yrs to do since it was my only vehicle and try to fix at same time.
    Completely dissassembled car and 3 months after it was painted it was stolen. I found it 4 months later in town and it had been primered and things missing etc.
    1 month later some guy offered me $ 7,000 as it sat so it was gone. 2 months later i called him back to rebuy and he told me that he put a couple grand more and sold it.
    had it sold already to a guy in Japan for $24,000.

28. wolfgang- america wasnt the only place that the old cars leaving the USA were delivered new to. our appetites have been whet by what has been crossing our respective lands all through the last century. its not a one way street either, i can think of one rare part that came in AUS model fords only that is sought after world wide. it happens. deal with it.

29. we are enthusiasts just like YOU.

30. i notice in your profile you have a Triumph m/c maybe some of the UK members on here would appreciate it if you would promptly ship that back to "mother England". You haven't been here long,but pay attention to where everybody is from, you'll notice the HAMB is made up of proud hot rodders, from around the globe,just like the market for early iron, not just arrogant ones.:mad: