Register now to get rid of these ads!

How low is too low? '62 Chevy Impala

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Jun 1, 2006.

1. magnet

magnet

So i have this 62.. pretty nice.. its bone stock right now and i am mulling over the thought of lowering it.

From your experience... how low can you bring a 62 chevy impala down before you start having tire rub or driveshaft and clearance problems. Its an x frame.. and when i was under there looking the other night it looked like you could go down pretty far before the rear driveshaft starts getting close.

Its coil springs all around.. and it has long rear shocks with coils around them also.. i am assuming i will have to swap those out too.

Any ideas? a know a 62 is a lowriders dream.. so there has to be tons of experience out there in getting it low.

i am thinking of putting 2 or 3" dropped springs and moving from 15" steelies to 14" supremes....

Also.. who is a reputable shop that i can order new springs/kit from?

You guys rock.

2. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

3" drop springs would look good if you're not trying to be "ultimate poser" low. I like the 60's cars to sit "just right" where its driveable and low but not too low....I hate low scraping to the ground cars....or do I??Before the 60 Oldsmobile I had was bagged, it rode perfect and sat perfect lowered 2" up front and 3" in the back.

3. magnet

magnet

Yeah i am looking for that classic 60's "thats the height the manufacturer should have made it" look

I figure 3" in the springs and the smaller rims will give me the look i am shooting for..

But i always wonder.. just how low can it go?

4. If you can see daylight under the '62, it's not low enough. :D

Travis

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

Check out my 59 on Saturday. It has a similar frame and suspension as your 62. It's lowered 3" all around with lowered springs and looks and rides really nice. It has tendency to drag the rear coming out of gas stations if I don't get the angle right, and the exhaust is hung for a stock car, so it's a little low, but I haven't run into any problems yet.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A '64 I built two years ago (now gone)...cut two coils out of each spring, including the rears...handled better than a factory SS...and sat low enuff to look good...

Forget the pricey lowered springs...just take them out and chop them!

R-

PS...nearly identical frame as yours

[​IMG]

7. sojerscraper

sojerscraper

check my profile pic of my 65 chrysler. 3" blocks & saggy springs in the back = about 4" drop in the rear & just about the same in the front by dialing out the torsion bar ride height adjustment. i just rebuilt the entire front end & added new shocks last year & she rides really nice. smooth & quiet, feels a lot like a stock ride. id say the lowest part, the front subframe, is just about 3.5"-4" from the pavement. shes been this low for 6 years & has been my daily driver since day one, no problems except draggin my exhaust on occasion.

8. magnet

magnet

Who makes good springs?

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

10. FONZI

FONZI

My pal Nate is layin out a 62 right now for a customer. He is going big with a frame notch and bags, ec. I will try and get some pics.

FONZI

11. monsterflake

monsterflake

3 coils, 15x6 americans in the front, 205/70/15s...
    [​IMG]