Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How is this possible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by manyolcars, Apr 21, 2018.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

460 Ford engine with points. I tried the timing light and it wont flash on number one. It flashes on the other7. Got a new distributor cap, No flash. Checked continuity inside to outside of the cap. No fire coming out of the cap.

2. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I tried the timing light and it wont flash on number one. It flashes on the other 7. Got a new distributor cap, No flash. Checked continuity inside to outside of the cap. No fire coming out of the cap.
    What else do you want to know? It did it on three different caps but the first has 3000 miles on it. The other 2 are new with the third Made in USA with brass contacts.

4. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Weird. So if you had a bad (open) plug wire on number 1 there would be no signal to trigger the timing light, but you don’t mention a miss on number 1. I’d like to know what you find out.

swade41 likes this.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Yeah, number one was missing, It was a lightly used cap, so I got a new one from NAPA. Made in China, $22, aluminum contacts. I was 300 miles from home so I put it on. Got home bought MADE IN USA from Advance Auto, $11, brass contacts. Thats when I put the timing light on it and found no flash on #1. The timing light works on all 7 wires except #1. I put a screwdriver down the Dist cap on #1 and went to ground, no fire. I put new spark plug wires on it, tested them for continuity but theres no fire coming out of the dist cap so its not the wires

swade41 likes this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Another weird thing. Its got a bad miss but I was rolling and accelerated, and smoked the tires. Laid rubber for more than 100 feet. Didnt expect that since its running so bad

7. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Have a close look at the points , are they opening for that cylinder?

egads, tb33anda3rd and Hnstray like this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Ive never seen one lobe wear on a distributor cam before, but anything is possible. Maybe the centrifugal advance is hitting something at idle and causing a miss? Take a good look inside the distributor and see if anything is loose in there. You could also pull it and reset it to a point where you could move the plug wires around the cap, and see if the miss moves also, but Im betting something is going on inside there.

czuch and Hnstray like this.
  9. remove the cap, turn motor to number one, with key in the on position open the points with your finger tip. check for spark at the coil wire.

czuch, Hnstray, Johnny Gee and 2 others like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

A fouled #1 plug will cause that.

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thanks Squirrel. The plugs had 3000 miles but I put in new Autolite AP45s. tb33 and s55 have ideas that I would not have thought of. Thanks guys, I will check today

12. squirrel

squirrel

if the plug is not firing for any reason, it will not create a magnetic field around the plug wire, so it won't trigger the timing light.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have pulled the wire off of the plug and got spark at the end of the wire in the past but I put a screwdriver in the dist tower and went to ground. no spark is coming out of the dist cap. I will swap plugs and see if the trouble follows. So far I have changed the spark plug, the wire and the dist cap and the trouble stays on #1

14. squirrel

squirrel

compression test?

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

I set the valves again, maybe its wrong. Will check that too. Thank you

16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

You’re checking at the distributor cap and getting nothing on #1? Can’t be plugs or compression. Rotor tip not reaching the inside terminal on the cap? Seems unlikely, but maybe if it was worn just enough and the cap is just a hair off centre from the shaft?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. squirrel

squirrel

If the plug wire is connected, then something not letting it fire will cause the timing light to work. If there is no spark coming from the #1 wire when it's disconnected from the spark plug, then there's something wrong with the distributor, etc.

czuch and warhorseracing like this.
  18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Squirrel. I think I would try swapping #1 wire on the distributor with #8 and see what happens. If you find that #8 is now dead then you have distributor problems.

warhorseracing likes this.
  19. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

"no spark from the distr tower" even with all the caps you tried. Is the distributor in good shape? maybe the shaft wobbles at the point of rotation while running but on static testing everything is fine? Your time spent finding the problem equals the cost of a new distributor.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm in to see where this leads.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Summit has a 460 distributor for $77.00 bucks....

stillrunners likes this.
  22. gatz

gatz

as akbo47 suggests, check the shaft for wobble

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Bum plug wire bum spark plug or bum dist cap.

24. wisdonm

wisdonm

Bum wire is my guess.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ My thought as well because rpm's seem to factor in per OP "Another weird thing. Its got a bad miss but I was rolling and accelerated, and smoked the tires. Laid rubber for more than 100 feet. Didnt expect that since its running so bad"

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I had a 390 that acted like that. It was the distributor. The points plate had come loose and moved enough that it barely opened the points in one position and really opened them up on the opposite side of the distributor lobes.

27. all kinds of weird crap happens n Shreveport.....LOL

stillrunners and Paul like this.
  28. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Had a 460 distributor that had too many goons inside it.
    Ended up self destructing, after fixing multiple problems.
    Check your timing plate.
    Check all the connections are clean and tight, ground strap and condenser.
    Check the cam lobes for the points.
    Check the shaft doesn't wobble.

If the distributor IS bad, get a rebuilt unit. The 'NEW' Spectre units are complete shit and do not use standard parts, timing plate, upper spring plate, even the points cam is all different. If any of those parts go off you cannot use over the counter replacement bits to fix it.

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Swap plugs
    Swap wires
    Try another timing light

flatford39 likes this.
  30. RmK57

RmK57

If the wires are leaking you can get crossfire from one wire to the other. I would try as others have said, swap one wire for another, then a sparkplug and so on. One thing at a time though.