Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "How I Draw Rusty Nuts" or "Hot Rod Poster 101"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff said: "...I work in several layers and collapse them as time goes on..saving the document each time and renaming it.Why? I do this because if i go to far or screw up.I can then go back and start where I felt i messed up. Here is more progression of the inking..."

A very sensible approach, creating "restore points". I'm a huge fan of Norman Rockwell, in part because of his incredible depth of field in each piece. Apparently he used to do the same thing- he had to crank out a Post cover every week and couldn't afford the time to start over if he wasn't pleased with the results, so he would paint a layer, then cover it with clear shellac so he could wipe it off down to the last layer of shellac to partially start over. I've read that a lot of his originals are deteriorating because they're delaminating.

Love your work, Jeff.

2. 53woody

53woody

Jeff You are the best, that poster is killer!!! My first time to Jalopyrama and hope to meet you and add to my Norwell Art collection. Any word on the RB guys making a road trip to join you at the show? That would be so COOL!!:cool: Bruce

3. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Like all masters, you make it seem so simple BUT some of us know better. Thanx for sharing, I remain a spectator! your work is amazing!

4. Von Franco

Von Franco

I bought A wacom and got jipped. im left handed and they sold me a right handed pen. And my dog ate my layers,,,, Oh and now my pencil sharpener program broke, I guess im not cut out to work with all this Computer Jazz............

5. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Loved watching your poster, and shirt design unfold. Now if only I understood what you were saying. I have had 3 photoshop type programs in my computer and can't figure out what the hell I'm doing with any of them. My brother says read the instruction manual. I tell him that would be cheating! LOL

6. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Hey Jeff, I'm blown away with the art for this year's show. I'm looking forward to seeing you and the Bones guys again at the Jalopyrama. Also, Ryan says he's coming with a few other Texans. The show keeps growing and getting visitors from far, far away. We must be doin' somethin right!
    Got to say that having you create the show posters & shirt art is a big plus BUT having you attend IS A BIGGER PLUS FOR THE SHOW'S GROWING POPULARITY!
    Also bringing your '32 p/u to be inside on the floor along with a bunch of other great cars is another big draw for the show as well.
    Everyone coming needs to get to the Armory entry gate early (gates open @ 8 a.m.) to assure entry since last year we were bustin' at the seams for parking. REMEMBER, ONLY '62 and EARLIER CARS ADMITTED so please don't BEG if you're car is older than '62 :) JALOPYRAMA MIKE

7. doctorZ

doctorZ

damn!! i'm impressed.

8. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Alright, how did I miss this?

Jeff thanks for the "almost" step by step of the artwork. Looking at it I chuckle a little seeing what you have really added since the last step. It's those things that you add that make your work special to look at. There is just so much that is going on in each of those steps that they are a feast to the eyes to look at the details. Thanks for the food for thought. BR

9. Time to shop for Corel Painter...

Great walk-about Jeff, thanks for the insight. Just seeing the brush and pen tools have sold me, I may look at your technique at some time but I'd best just ignore that part and just get the program and get toe work...

Be well,

Mark

10. That's killer Jeff! Thanx for the paint by numbers! But Mike, I reckon a Jalopyrama poster signed by Breeder could be worth more..... :rolleyes: Just sayin'.............

11. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

Pretty frikn cool nice work jeff

12. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

WoW!! Great post. I am a huge fan myself. I like Todd, do everything by hand the old way still. I would like to learn some computer skills to clean up some images but still behind the boat on that one. I enjoy doing it by hand still though. Seems like the next step up is digital. Keep making awesome artwork for us to enjoy! I like the step by step a lot. I have been taking progress shots of my recent jobs, helps others see whats going on. Will be on the look out for more art on F.A.S.!

13. Rik

Rik

I am not an artist so I'm not sure how useable this is but the new Wacom Inkling seems really cool : Wacom Inkling
    (don't work for them)
    Rik

14. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks Jeff, this is very interesting!

15. brady1929

brady1929

you have more talent in your pinky than i will ever have

16. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

17. ChadMartin11

ChadMartin11
    from NC

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing

18. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

thanks for letting us peek behind the curtain !!!

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Somtimes dude..ya just gotta figure out stuff for yourself....I mean.I bring ya the food..ya want me to chew it for you too?

HA HA... Your welcome rbantique......

Old thread..but thanks to all just the same.....

20. It's the first time i've seen this thread.
    Krazy Cool !
    Love your work!

21. sololobo

sololobo

Yipes! Jeff bears all! Cool beans ~sololobo~

22. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

WOW, amazing stuff.

23. Jeff, Now that is a F-c-k cool poster....You are the man.

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Saw the new TRJ with the Roundup event art...holy moly, I can hear the sounds from Congress and from inside the Continental Club, and the smell off rubber, pizza and beer with maybe a slight essence of BBQ.

25. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job , thanks for the treat!

26. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Norwell is my hero