Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you screw a drag slick to a magnesium wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Ricci32

Ricci32

how do you do this ,what type of screws. how many, do you tap the holes im also running tubes.the rims are two piece magnesium so i cant run them tubeless, goodyear slicks 31 x 12 15's.

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd hate to think people still booger up old magnesium wheels. Are they ETs?

3. brandon

brandon

im guessing daisy's....rim screws.....:eek:

4. Fatcat

Fatcat
    from Brainerd

I quit drilling holes in my rims a long time ago. I use a sharp center punch and put about 80 or so hits on the mating bead surface all round the wheel in a kind of hi lo patern. I run a 10.5x29 tire tubeless on a 10" wheel on a 3600# 55 Chev that runs high 9"s and pulls the wheels 2 feet every pass, with no tire turning on the rims issues.

With 160 little teeth biting into the tire bead on each wheel, it works for me.

Attached Files:

• 1955.jpg
      1955.jpg
      File size:
      17.3 KB
      Views:

5. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

You don't if you value your life. I have seen mag wheel blow up that were drilled for screws. The failure started right at one of the screw holes. Usually happens when you first inflate the tire and try to get the tire bead to seat.

Rex

6. Ricci32

Ricci32

The rims are two piece bolt together magnesium safety rims for my vintage dragster 40 years old and rare as hell ,550hp 1300lbs drilling the rims didnt sound stupid until now.

Attached Files:

7. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

They must be rare I have never seen anything like that on a drag car . You might be better off finding a different type of rim . are you shure that isn't some sort of old stock car wheel?

8. Its been a log time since everyone used screws on their wheels.
    This is how we did it .
    We never used screws, insted we used 1/4 in SAE allen head bolts, would drill and tap wheel and tire bead, drill and tap about 3/4 way through the bead, so you wont tear the tube.
    We always used natural rubber racing tubes, and lots of baby powder, or talc to keep the tube from sticking to the tire
    As for how many, most of the time five per side on the lighter cars. usually eight per side on heavier cars
    I almost forgot, dont tighten the bolts all the way down,back them out about 1/2 turn. will be a lot eaiser to take out.
    We did this on a lot of cars before tubless tires, on steel,aluminum, and even a pair of Halibrands on our BB/Gas car with no problems :Speedy

9. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

We used to use screws on steel wheels on a AA/D until we found out that the holes alone were enough to grab the bead on the tire.

10. Ricci32

Ricci32

Pica of the wheels.

Attached Files:

11. a/gasser51

a/gasser51

you also use hightac i think it is made by permatex.i no of alot of people using it with cars running well into the 7's.i have heard when it comes time to dismount the tire i can be a real pain.

12. oj

oj

Nice wheels, i don't think i'd be putting holes into them. As light as you are i think i'd just peck some raised edges inside like another said. Magnesium is very brittle metal, i wouldn't be drilling and running a screw into them.
    You'll have a hard time finding a hub for those wheels, thats the wide5 pattern - early ford with tapered axle and circle track safety hub with a floating axle.

13. Ricci32

Ricci32

I have magnesium wide five hubs ultra light and strong narrowed steel housings and double spline axles the center section is a magnesium floater lokks like a quick change only no quick change take a look at my dragster build thread the fugitive dragster build.

14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Those rims were used by the roundy round guys. They had various size halfs that you could make up your own width. I've never seen a drag car with them on.

15. Ricci32

Ricci32

Tommy Ivo used those rims on two of his dragsters just not wide 5 the back half had a olds bolt pattern

Attached Files:

16. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Get some modern beadlock wheels.

17. Ricci32

Ricci32

I have a set of modern rims with locks these are for show or true vintage event.

18. Ricci32

Ricci32

Here is the rear and hubs

Attached Files:

19. AG F/C

AG F/C

Run liners with 2 stage stems. Don't ruin a good wheel.
    Could you seal the parting line?

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'd just put a tube in them and go. Maybe some silicone around the parting line and make sure there are no rough spots to hurt the tube. Lippy