Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you remove adhesive from painted surface??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straightaxle65, Mar 25, 2012.

1. tomcat11

tomcat11

Yep the 3M stuff works but use some nitrile gloves. It has Toluene, Benzene, and some other nice stuff in it.

2. patterg2003

patterg2003

I am with those recommending lighter fluid, naptha or campstove fuel. Wiill soften then dissolve most adhesives and is mild enough to not harm the paint. It is an ages old way of removing adhesives. Lacquer thinner & hot solvents are a risky proposition.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

In my opinion, there are a few really good ways to mess up your project listed here. Whatever you try, test a small area first to ensure no damage will be done.

The very best and strongest solvent available that (almost) never hurts good paint?? VM&P Naptha!!! Get it in a quart or gallon can at Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

I like to use the inside of a terry cloth white sock to rub with as it provides a little more cleaning action.

This is a fantastic solvent to keep in the shop for removing sticker residue, road tar, etc, etc. Once you try it, you will always keep some around!