Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you fix bendix in a banger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Oct 6, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

trying to get my 28 model banger engine going....but darn starter is giving me trouble.

the start turns over just fine. the bendix wont engage though. from what i can tell the bendix looks free and not stuck. ive never missed with one of these before. can anyone guide me thru this?

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Probably has something wrong with it, have you taken it out yet? Broken spring is ussually what happens, check to see it the shaft is bent. The screw bit has to be oiled or greased. The whole thing comes off the starter shaft. The newer style ones are pretty good so there worth it but you need the tool. Also the hand crank is a good way to start one.

3. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i have removed the entire starter and tried it out of the case. the bendix just doesnt engage.... as the GEAR does not go towards the starter housing. the spring appears solid and intact. shaft seems ok. the screw bit that the gear is on? it as minimal grease but the gear goes back and forth okay by hand.

how does it come off the starter shaft? seen several pictures of them off but no information on how

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Try the Ford Barn

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The feed thread that the gear spins out on should NOT be oiled as that collects dirt and keeps the gear from operating corectly. Clean it off with gas ,brake clean etc. and try again.

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I think if you take the spring off there might be a screw or maybe its a roll pin. theres also a woodruff key in there too. Have you tried turning over the motor a bit to see if its just a misalignment and worn gear/s.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

makes sense

8. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

had 2 much grease on the spiral gear. wiped it dry and sprayed some belt dressing on it. works like a charm now.