Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you cut down a seat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tr12, Mar 18, 2008.

1. tr12

tr12

ok,i want to cut down a 65 biscayne seat to use in my lowboy truck.it has those 2 halves that fold down to get in the back seat.
    i really love this seat and want to use it ,but it needs cut down
    i have the skills to weld it and stuff like that,but i dont just dont know how .please help me out here,guys.
    thanx in advance,Troy

2. tr12

tr12

cmon guys...someone has to know how to do this?

3. skipstitch

skipstitch

My 2 cents... (see attached scribble).

Take the width you need... and the width of the seat. Say you are gonna narrow the seat 20 inches. You want to take 10 inches out of each seat back in the center. (so you're cutting where they are straight). I would place my cuts so I'm between the springs. Lay 'em flat and clamp the square. Weld 'em up. ON the base, I'd do the same... a cut on either side of the center pivot and remove the 10 inches per half. Again placing cuts between the springs. Clamp, square and weld. Then bolt it all back together.... you pivots will still work just fine, as the factory designers intended.

Attached Files:

4. skipstitch

skipstitch

Oh, and if you're cutting the seat backs down to make 'em shorter.... ditch the springs all togther and weld the frames up. YOur upholster guy can re-spring them as needed.

5. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

How do you cut down a seat?
    Tell it that it is ugly and its mamma was a barstool?