Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW do i remove the driveshaft from a 51 fleetline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sickboy22, Feb 12, 2011.

1. sickboy22

sickboy22

I cant find anything on taking out the driveshaft from my 51 fleetline it like all incased joot looking for some help thanks!

2. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

find bolts under the car connecting the tube to the trans , turn clockwise till bolts come off in hands.....:D

3. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

well, you have to essentialy drop the rear axle, remove the bolts that hold the shaft on the tail stock of the transmission and roll it back, there should be a splined connection inside. the drive shaft i think is part of the pinion gear in the rear end, there should be only one universal joint.

4. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

har har... but very correct. The driveshaft on pre-55 chevy cars was a torque tube. The following is how I removed my rear end + torque tube from my '51 Styleline 3 speed. Note: talking from a year old memory here so if I've missed / garbled anything I apologize.

To remove it, you would

• jack the car up on stands from the frame. remove wheels. disconnect hydraulic brake lines, ebrake cables.
    • unbolt the rear axle from the springs
    • undo the 4 bolts from the back of the transmission where the torquetube and the transmission meet,
    • slide the rear end left and then right to clear the hubs from the springs (so it's on the ground now)
    • pull the whole thing back- the joints should separate on their own.

So- bigger question: why? what are you trying to accomplish?

5. sickboy22

sickboy22

awsome ill give it a shot thanks man