Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I remove powdercoating?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Jan 31, 2004.

1. How can I remove powdercoating? Sand/media blasting, chemical stripper, or something else? It's on steel.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Bead blasting will remove it quickly if it will fit in a cabinet. I've had a few do overs.

3. Gary, talk with you rlocal powder coater.

My friend powdercoats at his buisiness and they have a solution that takes the shit right off... just soak overnight and PRESTO!

Call up a dealer who sells steam cleaners or Hotsy washers... I think the other guy I know who sells Hotsy washers sold it to my buddy... long story.

Sam!

4. k-member

k-member

I've removed it from small parts with laquer thinner..

5. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

carb cleaner on small parts soaked overnight, (learned that by accident) Also I recently had some good luck with a chemical stripper I got at the hardware store just look for that it removes urathanes ( powder coat is just plastic) usually the higher end stuff.
    FS

6. Most auto body jobbers carry chemical paint stripers that do a good job fast, just make sure you take the necessary safety precautions (gloves,mask,keep off skin...) and a little goes along ways from my experience. Good Luck!

7. [ QUOTE ]
    --------------------
    A MA degree 2 credentials, a job, and still not as smart as the dumbest motherfucker in Belgium.
    Sam!

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine if even you're admitting I got to you what the rest of your public must be thinking Einstein.
    (FYI, Einstein is some fucking foreigner that never finished high school)

8. badpat

badpat

brake cleaner

9. wonder

wonder

if your gonna recoat it the powder coater might even run it through the oven at a higher setting and burn it off, if you use chemical stipping methods the metal still will need to outgas all the chemicals before you can re powdercoat it, alot of it is determined by what your going to refinish the parts with

10. How big is the part you are trying to strip?

This may determine what method you decide to choose.

Sam!

11. Years ago when I was helping a friend with a restoration, I took his bumpers to the bumper shop to be straightened then I took and had them powdercoated. Went to reinstall them and the bumper shop had cut out some bracketry and welded it in upside down. I went to my media blast hook up and he just laughed at me, then he fired up a HUGE torch in the gastank area of his shop and told me to go at it but don't get it to hot. It took me a LONG time to burn the powdercoat off. Basically make sure you only do it once.

12. Thanks everyone. All of the above methods are do-able [​IMG]. The parts are small brackets that'll get a new powdercoat.

13. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Blasting is a punishment on powder coat if it's good, it just bounces off.
    I use gasket stripper.
    Spray it on, ten minutes later wipe it off.
    Most powder coat comes away almost immediately.
    Especially that really thick plastic like stuff.
    Easiest I know of.
    Never tried brake cleaner.
    I'll have to check that one out.