Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do I measure to see what fan belt I need?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 32blownhemi, Oct 18, 2016.

1. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Hi, I need to measure to see what fan belt I need. It's a '58 Chrysler 392 Hemi with a Hot Heads alternator bracket on it & a 2 3/4" pulley. Hot heads said if I had their crank & water pump pulley to get a 60" belt. But I have no idea whose pulleys they are. I bought the 60" belt & it's too long. The pulley is 3/8" wide. Can I use a piece of 3/8" rope or do I just keep guessing? Thanks! Bill

2. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Park the alternator/generator or whatever component moves to adjust the tension about halfway between loose and tight. Use a rope pull it tight and tape it together. Take your rope to the parts store and have them find you a match.

3. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Thank you HotrodHR! Bill

4. 5brown1

5brown1

Then get several near the size you think will work and try them to find out which will work the best rather than driving back and forth multiple times. Return the others.

41 C28 and Tman like this.

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Rope stretches too much. Use that 60" belt that is too long. Cut it too fit. Shrink tube it together and take it to the parts store.

TagMan likes this.
  6. I use a long piece of electrical cord to measure mine. It drops into the pulley perfectly. The last belt I got worked, but one 1/2" shorter would be perfect. Most parts places will exchange a belt as long as it was not used.

belair likes this.
  7. 56shoebox

56shoebox

And then have the dumb ass behind the counter ask you year, make and model number and tell you their system doesn't go back that far. Then as an added bonus he'll roll his eyes at you when you ask him to measure your belt and start going through their entire inventory to find a match. Argh!!!! Current day auto parts stores suck. They may as well move them into an aisle in Wal-Mart.

duncan and bobss396 like this.
  8. Go to the Dayco site, they list belts by length so at least you can go in armed with a part number, get a few sizes and return the ones that don't fit.

Parts stores infuriate me too, they all may as well sell air fresheners and Armor All for all the good they do me.

Hnstray and 46international like this.

9. not all parts store counter guys are a dumb ass , a few are good.....i'd say that the percentage is about the same as dumb ass customers

10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

A good counter man is hard to find. My store has a couple of good ones so I shop there and nowhere else

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Shorty

Shorty

36-3window......... Dead on!

uncle buck and Hnstray like this.
  12. partssaloon

partssaloon

Use a 3/8 wide measuring tape. Wrap it around the pulleys just like the belt would run and read the measurement leaving the the adjusting items at the low point. Belts are measured by the top length.
    So if you measured say 51 1/2 inches the number would be 13515 for the correct belt. The first 2 digits are the width, the next digits are the length.

onetrickpony likes this.
  13. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I keep a number of old belts around. When I need to do what you are doing I cut one, wrap it around all the pulleys at the adjustment where you get the most pulley/belt contact and cut off the excess belt. It is pretty hard to screw that up at the parts store and you can check it yourself before you leave. I agree with a couple of the posts, not all parts guys are dumb asses. Generally you get what you pay for and I'm quite happy with my guys locally. I think 36-3window hit it on the head.

14. metalman

metalman

Thank you partssaloon, it's surprising how many people don't know the length and width is in the part number including most parts counter guys these days. I thought that was counter guy 101, least it was 30 years ago when I worked parts. As a minor correction some brands rearrange the numbers, length first, then width.
    I have some old long belts I cut I keep around the shop to measure width, wrap it around the pulleys at mid way adjustments, mark where it meets and measure. Very accurate, never have to run back to the store for the next size. Only problem was the hired help kept throwing them away thinking they were junk.

15. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Thank you everyone! Guess I should have waited for more replies before acting! I got the wrong belt twice but today went & got 3 belts to try. One has got to work. One of the local Napa parts stores is really good with this kind of stuff. I must admit getting the wrong belts was 'customer error'. Thanks again! Bill

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  16. uncle buck

uncle buck

I like to use a longer belt and vise grips so I can pull it tight and find where it fits best in the adjuster. Then I take that to be matched up