Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I make my small block sound cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayfarer, Feb 21, 2007.

1. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Take the mufflers off and put headers on it and drive it. Trust me it will sound cool:D :D :D :D

2. HydroClyde

HydroClyde

1. Pull motor from truck.

2. Place motor in bed of truck.

3. Tow truck to nearest 300' cliff and back truck up.

4. Push motor out of truck bed.

5. Put hand to ear and listen...

6. Clink...clink...clink...thud...The best sound you'll ever hear from a SBC...

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

3. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

well, yeah, now that you say that.
    i have 21/2 " straight pipes, with no mufflers on a pretty stock 287" pontiac motor with stock manifolds.
    it's louder than glasspacks, and it raps better too when you let off the gas.
    i also have 4" megaphone tips on it.

4. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

The bigger the diameter of your exhaust pipes, the better! Install a nice set of duals either 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch in diameter and it'll sound really nice. If you want to REALLY improve on the sound, go with 3 or 4 inch! It'll sound like a big block! My 2 cents only.

Anybody got change for a nickle?

5. rsg2506

rsg2506

The only thing that would sound better would be if it fell on top of Park Lane. :D

6. Leave one of the plug wires off.

Then it'll sound like a rat rod and you'll be EXTRA cool, especially when you're cruzin by the junior high school.

Did you use DP-90 or BLITZ BLACK?

What color of RED is on your wheelz?

7. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Your engine more than likely has 1.5 ratio rocker arms stock......you could replace them with 1.6 ratio, its a cheap way to to fake out the cam into thinking its a little larger and meaner sounding on the cheap.........Littleman

8. Go to your local car show with a tape recorder. Ask anyone WITHOUT a SBC to start up thier car. Press record. Go home. Install a speaker under your hood, hook up to your tape player. Pull one spark plug wire off your engine so you get some rough idle. Press record when your at the stop sign next to a hot chick in a dodge neon or some punk kid in a Honda.
    Instant cool!!!

9. bwiencek

bwiencek

Since it doesn't sound like you're going to pony up for more compression and a big cam setup the right way so....

I'm assuming that you're already running headers.... Come off the headers with a set of 2.5" pipes, to a set of free-flow mufflers (flowmaster 40's, glasspack, dynomax bullets, etc.) then take that 2.5" out to the rear axle. Get the longest 3-3.5" 'tips' that you can find to fit under the rest of the bed (they sell them about 18-20" long of chromed/polished tube) - the sound will get deeper/richer in the larger diameter pipe on the rear and sound good at idle and cruise...

10. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

A 327/350hp cam only has .447 lift, so there is no chance of breaking anything on a low compression smog motor. This was the 'spec' cam in the Street Stocks at one of the tracks I raced. I ran one with 53cc chamber 305 4 bbl heads, 1.6 rockers and flat top pistons and there was plenty of valve clearance.

Jan

11. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Wow...is it painful 30Tudor? Being that big of an ass HAS to hurt. Show me anywhere in the original comment that he mentions anything about a ratrod. Its his daily driver parts hauler truck...LOL
    He never claims anything other. Next time instead of jumping to conclusions, ...jump off a cliff.

Littlemans idea on the 1.6 ratio rockers are spot on. It's a 30 minute deal, and will improve performance and might even change the exhaust sound a bit. Other than that, lots of good ideas, I like the 2.5" exhaust back to under the bed, then a pair of Summit or walker turbos with turndowns right off the back of the muff near the rear diff. It will have a really low rumble, and won't sound like you are trying to be a racer X. Just a rumbly tone that sounds good when you kick it in the ass but even cruising it will have a good tone, tough. The only downside, you may get some resonance in the cab at idle, to the point you can feel it in your chest....which I happen to like but my wife says it tickles inside her ears... :)

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

And I bet it sounded sweet!!!:D