Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do i lower my 59 newyorker ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattoos by brandon, Jul 13, 2011.

1. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

i know how to do the rear but the front ? its torsion bar suspension ..this is going to be my first lowering job ....so i know the front tiers will lean in on the top so how do i corect that and i thought about making a mount and moving the shock up higher and some kind of bracket to get the a arm to face out more but is that possible being a torsion bar set up ? any info will help

thanks

Attached Files:

2. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Torsion bars are just springs with out a curl. Instead of cutting coils you can adjust the bars to drop the front SOME. If you want to go lower than what alinement adjustments can compensate for then it is time for drop spindles or modified A arms.
    Lower the torsion bar adjusters a half turn at a time.

3. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

thanks for the info im looking into drop spindles but idk if i can find any for my car and my friend said he can help me mod the a arms to work ... i have been considering just ari baging it this winter

4. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

You should be able to get plenty low by adjusting the torsion bars. You will just need to have the alignment redone once its lowered. For some good info on late 50's Chryslers look around http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/

5. The torsion bar adjusting bolt is vertical to the frame at the rear end of the bar from '57-61. Will likely need multiple lubrication at top of that bolt with your favorite penetrating oil before it will agree to be turned. Mark the head of the bolt for a reference point for number of turns. Adjust both sides the same number of turns then move the car in and out of the garage and measure on the same place on each side of the car - like the top of the wheel arch and see if you need to adjust one side a bit to get it level. You may need to do this a few times. You will need a 3/4 breaker bar and a cheater pipe extension to move the adjustment bolts. To get really low you will need to remove the bump stops but that means you are going to bottom out too. It would be ideal if you could find HD torsion bars from a '57-59 Chrysler 300 and then lower it where you want it. Fatman has some dropped spindles that will work and are really the better way to go but that costs money. Suggestion: KYB KG4507 shocks for the front. And yes, follow up with alignment ANY TIME you change ride height by any means.
    Been dropping torsion bar cars for many years.

6. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

hey guys great help and im gonna go look more it to it with the information you provided i cant explain how much shit helps im very new at this and last thing i want to do is screw this car up lol... i got a 3 inch lowering kit for the back so that should be simple ...thanks again every one ... also would it be better for me to air bag this car? and i was wondering about disc brakes for the front any info on that ???

7. George

George

To use the KG4507 you'll have to narrow the mount tube on them a bit. There's a couple of kits for converting to discs, or replace with spindles off a newer car. I used '77 NYer on my '60 Plym. If the Fatman dropped spindles are disc compatible, I'd assume they are, they may be worth a second look. There's the AAJ disc kit

8. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

im calling fatman first thing monday and im hoping i can afford to go that route .... when i switch to disc will i have to do any mods and can i use the same booster? sry im asking alot but im very new to this and i want to make sure i know what im doing before i get into it ...thanks again every one

9. George

George

You'll want to go to a later twin pot master cyl & the booster that matches to it. My '60 is manual so I can't say what might work for P/Bs. If you haven't found it yet, check out www.forwardlook.net The hotrod section is called "The exhaust pipe"