Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do I know if I have 49-50, 51-52, or 53-54 Chevy Fender Skirts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by restorit, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Maybe this is a dumb question but I have serached the forums and found nothing yet. I have several pair that I would like to sell but not sure how to tell the difference. I have not been able to find an old Chevy with decent wheel wells to try them. I have checked pictures on the bay and they all look the same. Any help?

2. chubbie

chubbie

I personally love your dumb question!! i have a set of 50-51 skirts. one real nice, the other some rust. i cleaned them up, and have them laying around so i can epoxy prime them when i had xtra primer. so now they look real nice in blk primer.....wait not nice, and i looked again.... shit i have a 50-51 and one for a 53-54?? guessing the 50 skirt is of equal hight end to end the 53 skirt is higher on the front side by???? guessing 3/4" more wall hangers than i have walls:eek:

3. 50-51 would make them 49-52 all. 51 is when the quarters changed a bit.

Some of them are stamped somewhere in the edge of the skirt, if you examime them closely you may find a year and letter code that tells what they are.

To be honest beyond that you may have to go to a car show, or an old car salvage if one exists, and try them to actual cars.

4. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

They are not all the same for '49-'52.

'49-'50 are the same, and '51-'52 are the same. The '49-'50 have a left side and a right side skirt. They will not fit on the wrong side. The latch is at the front of the wheel opening, and there is a hook at the rear. For '51-'52, the skirts are both the same, and can be worn on either side of the car. If the latch is at the front on one side, it will be at the rear on the other.

You're on your own for '53-'54...as I only own a '50 and a '51!

I may be wrong on this... but '53-'54's may not have the same latch... the big curved steel rod that ends in a hook...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

5. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

The fender skirts are as follows: 49 & 50 are in one group; 51 & 52 are in one group; and 53 & 54 are in one group. 49 & 50 have a left and right; the other years the left is the same as the right and will interchange from side to side ( no left or right). The 49/50 skirts are taller in the front than they are in the back. The 51/52 and 53/54 are the same height in the front and back allowing them to fit either side. All three groups are of different lengths; 49/50 skirts are the shortest, 51/52 skirts being about 3/4 of an inch longer, and 53/54 being about 3/4 of an inch longer than the 51/52's. I did have the lengths but can't find them now. Hopes this helps you. Ray...

6. chubbie

chubbie

Thanks Ray!! find those pictures;)

7. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Aren't 53-54 right and left side only too? I thought they were!The front side of the skirt has the fixed guide that goes into the body and the rear of the skirt has the swing up latch that goes into the bolt-in bracket.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. All answers make a lot of sense. But as I check one of the pairs it is a left and right and the dimensions are the same front and back. Length is 29 3/8" and the height is 9 1/4". Posting pics of that one. Hmmm...Maybe not a Chevy? I will have to check the other pair later this week but pretty sure they are 49-50's according the above info. Thanks!

Attached Files: