Register now to get rid of these ads!

How did you mount your seatbelts??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1BADSLED, Jun 25, 2007.

1. 1BADSLED

1BADSLED

I have some aircraft belts with a very small mounting hole. How did you mount your belts? I want them to be safe. Here is a picture of the belts. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Seat belts should be anchored to the floor - this way if there is a serious crash that were to separate the floor from the chassis the occupant wouldn't be cut in half as mighthappen if the belts were anchored to the chassis. Now if the floor and chassis are truely integral then I don't suppose it matters so long as it's doen properly. As far as doing it properly - you want to spread the load out - check with Simpson, RJS and the rest to see their reccomendations. Even teh NHRA rule book shows hoe they want them done. Basically you want them to "pull inline with the anchors" - you want the belts free to move on the mounts so they "self align" under a load. I think NHRA wants a 6"X6" backer under sheetmetal floors - but my memory is fuzzy - I'd have to look it up to be certain.

oops - I skipped a bunch of stuff. Lap belts should go across the hips at about a 45 degree angle to the rear. Shoulder belt should be anchored about even with your shoulders to slightly below. NHRA specs this a little lower than does Simpson, but anchoring it TOO LOW will place undue compression loads on your spine. Having it near even to slightly below will minimize those loads.

3. 1BADSLED

1BADSLED

Great info , I was more intrested in what hardware was used at the attachment points of these type of belts.

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Originally they were probably grade eight bolts in a double shear.