Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Did You Decide On The Color For Your Hotrod ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Only you can pick the color you want, I prefer traditional colors on traditional cars, I bet in a few years people will look at all the copper cars and say yeah that was done in 05 yawn...certian colors are timeless, stick with those if don't want to "Date" your car.

O/T man you have one clean garage! You need to quit worring about colors and go to some swap meets and get some wall art!:D

2. How about BLACK with bassboat METALFLAKE? Dont' believe I've seen it much.
    I think you would need to have chrome or light colored accents.
    G.M.B.

3. 2-TONED

2-TONED

ONE WAY "NOT" TO DECIDE ON A COLOR IS BY THE NAME!

dont let a catchy name suck you in!

moonglow-calfshit-autum mist- coyote piss-poly! oh i like that name & this little 1" paint chip in the book looks so sparkly! :rolleyes:

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a picture in my head of what my truck will look like finished. I have to stick to the vision, even if Flat-Top Bob tries to derail me.:rolleyes:

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Timeless - Not trendy - Traditional - Era =

Black, Maroon, Dark Blues and Greens, Grays, and non-metalic paints.

I'm listening .......:cool:

6. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Are you gonna pad the roof? That might open up some different color schemes for ya. I really like to look back at the factory colors, they look cool on a rod.

7. overthehillracer

overthehillracer

You are correct, any project concists of countless hours of work. The first impression that anyone gets of your "labor of love" is the bright work.
    The way I did it, was to spend hours,& hours in front of the computer. Looking at projects similar to mine.(46 chevy 1/2 ton) What that did for me was to convince me that the bumpers that I'd spent 600. for a show quality chrome job on, were going to make it look like some old mans truck. You know the ones that wear bad hats, & vests with pins stuck all over them. Decided to go with a stainless nerf hoop in front with a louvered tailgate, & roll pan in rear.
    Paint was a huge decision. Two tone was a given, single colors lack contrast, & just don't have the eye appeal. Every single truck I looked at had a lighher main body color, with darker fenders. As I have always been out of step, I decided to reverse the pattern.
    Going with a Black Cherry, for the cab, & bed. With a Dusty Rose/Mauve, for the fenders, & belt stripe.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is we build these things to be different, so don't get caught in the trap of thinking you have to do what everyone else is doing!
    Good luck with whatever you decide, & for Gods sake keep momma happy.
    ........jj

Life's too short to drive boring cars, One less Toyota on the road ain't 'gonna make much difference to Toyota... but it will to me!!!

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

The number one color for auto mfgs is always silver. It makes their shtuff look good at unveilings.

With that said I am changing my 36 from Silver to 46 Ford maroon.:rolleyes:

9. I was looking at the grill thinking something along the lines of the Rocketeer but maybe a little new - what about a scheme like the Speed Racer car. I think it would work if you want it different.
    I really think the silver with very little metallic would work very well. It would keep it mean yet subtle. :rolleyes: Accented with a metallic orangeish/redish. Could even be a blue.

Where are all the photoshop guys for Glenn...

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

You need to get a photo editing program. The one I have at work, you can trace the body and click a button. A menu opens up and you can drag this little knob around the color spectrum. It fades darker to lighter and everything inbetween.

Hey, ya wanna see it pink?

11. sir

sir

DEEP PINE FOREST GREEN METALIC / SILVER PEWTER METALIC...(valspar)..why?? cuz I liked it.....

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

1. The roof will not be padded
    2. This is a competition styled car
    3. I'm fabricating the headers now
    4. My hand fabbed grille is 'Deco' / 'Rocketman' inspired
    Continue my fellow HAMB'rs .........

13. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Seven years ago I could not decide on a color for the Merc but was determined to replace the faux deeppurple/blue flat paint job on it. After a 10 hour day of wet sanding on it, both my son and I, we were sitting on his front porch drinking a Miller. I told him I could not decide on a color but wanted it to be a '50-'60 color to keep the traditional look. He said "paint it this color', I said "what color?". He held up the Miller can. :D You know he was right :eek: Come to think of it I painted a '53 Ford tudor with '56 Dodge"Royal blue metallic" in 1958 and loved that car.

Tell you what I've had more compliments from WOMEN saying "That color is beautiful, what is it". I usually respond "It's Miller Lite Dark Blue" :eek: (gotta keep the women happy!) The color looks great on a big car but prolly wouldn't look as good on a small car. I don't like white cars or green cars and theres a lot of silver out there as well as red and black. Not much left for me..........!

Choose colors you don't care at all about and weed them from the list. Next sort through whats left in basic colors and do some more weeding out. You'll get there eventually and if you can't ask your son if you have one. After you raised him right didn't you? :D

14. I looked at your car again and it spoke to me. Not quite literally but it did assert it's shape emphaticly,

My personal subliterate semiconcious inmpression is of a spider. Specifly a black widow. The body invokes the Black widow thorax. Stretching out in front are the wheels like the primary legs and the headlights low are like the eyes.

The stance looks as though the car is full of contained force poised and prepared to pounce. Blah blah. Stop me if you've heard this before.

You have spent much time reconfiguring the original body making it smaller, more compact, taught and lean. This powerful physical model is apparant in your work.

Find color that will aid what you have formed.
    In my opinion I would certainly think about black but colors that seem to connote "danger" (I can't beleive I said that. Bear with me.) Be honest, you didn't make this car to put your inlaws at ease, They already have their minds made up about you.
    This is probably off the beam because I don't know anything but what I've seen here but metallics in intense shades like bug/insect green. Christ look at the colors on Scarabs (insect, not car by Lance Rventlow)

Someone mentioned Metallic bronzes and coppers would pinpoint your car in the '05 Metallics era. It's true. You could see that wave slowly rolling in. Nothing wrong with them, it was funny seeing it before it happened.

10 years ago I had a real strong desire to do one of my cars in Metallic Tangerine. I like to think I'm ahead of the game usually. I must have picked up the buzz on my antennas. No one was doing it that I knew of. Then I saw a 61 Buick in LowRider magazine done in HOK Candy Tangerine and I thought that's exactly what I wanted to do but seeing it like that sort of stopped me although I kept thinking about it.
    But within a couple years it got out and next thing you know fucking Volvo was advertising a station wagon in the same general color and then more inappropriate cars like nissans had it as well as manufacturres show cars and NOW this week the new Dodge Challenger seems to be sporting something similar.
    And I think If I had done mine 10 years ago today the perception might be that I was "me too" instead of the first kid on the block.

Let me think about that. Painting my car to be "ahead of the game " would have been for the wrong reason because as the game caught up with me I would no longer feel the same about the color. It's probably fucked up on my part to invest that sort of energy into paint.
    Thanks, that helped me. It looks like I'll be getting some benefit out of this even if you don't

Repeating myself, I would paint it whatever does justice to your work and gives some sort of recognition to shared traditions that you were able to utilize.

There sure are a lot of people looking over your shoulder:D

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

There is not a inch of this project that has not been had fabricated by me. After I complete the headers, I'll take it down and roll it outside for better pictures.
    I like the way your wicked, twisted mind thinks.

16. brandon

brandon

i took me a couple months to nail down a color for my anglia....only took me a couple days to nail down one on my 48 chev coupe....judging by the look of the car.....i would be guessing a early 60's altered look ...might think of colors of that time period.....cadillac firemist colors....with nice metallics....maybe even late 50's.....any of which can be mixed in todays paints.....even with shades of gabby ....i just wouldn't shoot it black .....of flat black ...for that matter......but hey thats just me ......brandon

17. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I was looking for a tough etching primer in a spray can. The stuff that I found happened to be green. Decision made! :D

pigpen

[​IMG]

18. Scotch

Scotch

So…classic black it shall be. And, yes I listened to the car. In fact, I agrued with the damn thing. Black requires a perfect body, and IS high maintainence. But the idea is for the car to look like it was done at Gil Ayalas East LA shop in the mid fifties, so, black, Titian Red or Glade Green were the onliest choices.QUOTE]

I love you Man...

My '50 Buick is headed the exact same way. If it's perfectly straight, paint it black. Make it look like an Ayala job, and you'll never go wrong.

...if it ain't straight, red, or white will have to do...

~Scotch~

19. My rpu is a truck, so early on I decided to paint it a truck color from the 40s. I bought a couple of chip sets off eBay, and when I found a color I liked (GMC Oakwood Brown) I had a pint mixed up. I painted some large and small panels and left 'em around the shop and the house. I even carry one in my daily drive. I can look at 'em in different light, compare the color to other colors I see around, and basically live with it awhile. I still like it.

Every now and then I'll show a panel to someone. Usually I just get a blank stare -- so I know I'm on the right track.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to go glossy or suede.

Attached Files:

20. THECHICK

THECHICK

Damn we are still fighting over that.....For my 1960 Rocket 88 I want a silver metal flake roof and garnet red lower half in a candy -like finish (NOT candy though- too 'clear' for my taste) Hubby wants blue and silver- UGH BOOOOOORING... Lets be like every other custom ....NOT
    When he painted his 56 Chevy - we took all shades of the color (Purple) and did small spray outs and carried the damn thing everywhere to see what the colors looked like- in the sun- night, dark,rain etc- and came up with a custom twilight pearl- which is also known as dark amethyst or dark purple....:eek:

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Where do I find color chips for '40's and 50's cars on the net?

Anyone have the www. addresses ?

22. Slate

Slate

www.autocolorlibrary.com or try ebay and search under paint chip or paint chart with some years/makes. The ones on the link above were dark for my car color choice, but for a '36 Cord, I was surprised they had it. After you find a color you like, look it up on google and you'll find some actual cars out there with the paint so you can see what it really looks like. For example, I did this for a substitute color: a chevy 62-63 Adobe Beige and found a nice Barrett-Jackson example.

Hope this helps.

23. Faxon Auto Literature in Losa Angeles.

Walter Miller in NY. Check his site.

Pick up a Hemmings and you will find listings in the front with the rest of the Literature Ads.

24. * Machine
    * Racecar
    * Rocketeer
    * Metal

FFS go and buy some rattle can silver and paint it.

Hugs and kisses,

A

Attached Files:

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hey Mate! ....you are still around, was beginning to wonder.

OK, you Win ! ...I'm going after rattle cans of Silver/Aluminum.

26. I usually go to the custom mixed and not picked up rack in the paint store and see what's there cheap.

Maybe that's why no one wants to park near me.

Someday I'd like to paint one copper'n'black. Maybe my next one if I have the cahs. But its probably going to get painted with what I have onder the bench, some sort of a dark metalic green. A 25.00 bargain off the custom rack.

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Brandon, so what color or color's do you see on it ?

28. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

It's a small car, not a lot to paint; paint what ever color first comes to mind, if you don't like it paint it a different color......

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Triple seven rustoleum.

30. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i had been wanting to do something orange metalflake for a while,,when i painted my brothers truck i tried to talk him into it,,but he didnt think it would look good,,. tried to talk my uncle into painting his car orange candy metalflake,,but he didnt think it sounded good either,,

i had already planned on painting my 56 red&white,,but at the last minute decided since i planned on keeping the car anyways to go ahead with the orange candy flake on it & (& silver since didnt think all orange kandy would look good on this particuliar car and wanted to break it up)
    as for th color of the flames,,well i was thinking candy green,and actually went to get the color ,,and this girl with big juicy bouncy tits at the paint store said that green would look ugly and blue would look better,,so i picked the blue:D

like someone else said,,if you listen to the car ,it will tell you what color it wants to be:D!