Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hotrob's fiasco of a "Model A Coupe" build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrob, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Dan:
    check your mail.

Triggerman:
    I never thought of filling in that space, but it looks killer. I think I may look at doing that myself.

2. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

I was able to get the radiator supports installed. I thik they look pretty good. It really tied the front end together pretty good.

I borrowed a sheetmetal break, and a bead roller from my buddy Jay (Jay28), and Brian (Bass) hooked me up with the sheetmetal connection. Got in the garage with Matt and Rocky and we go after the floors in the coupe. I cut and shaped the tunnel first using 18ga steel. Rolled in a bunch of beads 3" apart, and stitched them in.

Then I cut the floors and rolled in transverse beads in the front and longitudinal beads in the back. I welded in or should I say tacked in the passenger side while Matt worked on the tunnel welds on the drivers side. I reached over and put the grinder to the welds so we could tack in the drivers side floor when I slipped.........

I cut into my left thump with the grinder!!!......BAD......

So as some of you know I am an Emergency Medicine PA, so I went into work here at Baylor Grapevine to fix the mess. I go myself numbed up with the Lidocaine when I noticed that extensor tendon was almost completely severed.

So we just tacked the hole closed and I am off to the Hand Surgeon tomorrow.

Well anyway its a bummer.

Rocky climbed under the Falcon and clearanced the crossmember for the header turndowns and Matt striped the grill on the coupe while I ate Vicodin and drank Corona.

As always check out the pics.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  3. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Oh yea here is Matts work.
    viva la Hardluck

Attached Files:

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

Excellent thread, very clear posts you have done to show your progress.

Good luck on the hand healing, that is bad bad news, Joe

5. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Thanks Joe. I had this whole week off to work on the coupe! If this guy operates on me today I might be able to get back in the garage by mid week.
    I have some clean work I can do but not a lot.

6. Tommy R

Tommy R

Looking good, Rob. Bummer about your hand, but hopefully you'll be all patched up soon and ready to get back to it...

7. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Thanks Tommy, I have been watching your build for a while.
    Looks like you got a really solid start.
    Hope to be parked next to you sometime.
    Rob...

8. Tommy R

Tommy R

Sounds like a plan. How about we shoot for the 2012 Round Up? You may be done for '11, but I know I won't! :)

9. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Ouch! Hope you heal well, been there.....

10. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Glad I could offer something useful.

As for your hand, you know that for ALL hot rod builds a blood sacrifice has to be offered up. Apparently you just made yours. All should go smoothly now with the car. Seriously though, best of success with your surgery and recovery.

11. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Tommy, Turkey. Trigger:
    Thanks guys. I am really bummed about it all. I am getting fixed tomorrow at 4pm. The surgeon, a guy I work with says I will be in a cast for 4-6 weeks. I am freaking out about that!
    Its been one freaking day with the splint and its filthy! I buillt a trans tunnel/hump with Matt (Hazmat) for his 49 ford today and I was practically worthless.

Anyway....it could have been worse.
    I guess the message here is to be carefull, and not to forget the hazards involved in the use of power tools.
    Being hurt is not a right of passage, nor a necessity. Please do not screw up like this. It sucks........

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  12. sy1356

sy1356

I re-read your thread & was wondering where you got your front shock/headlamp mounts. In one post you posted that they are from Pete & Jakes, but I cant seem to find them. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Byron

13. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

They are indeed Pete & Jakes. They are hard to find on the wedsite, try here http://www.peteandjakes.com/parts/parts_dept/UpperShockMounts.htm. Its part # 1095. I recommend calling Eric at Riley Automotive. He will get you set up.
    He is in the HAMB-O-DEX, or just http://www.riley-auto.com/, and it will pop up.

14. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Ouch,I like your pain relief,Vicodin and beer.
    The bead rolls on the tunnel look killer.

15. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Patman,HELLO ?

16. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I have placed severial orders with Eric. Not only did he know his stuff, he got me everything in a timley mannor. No complaints from me.

17. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Dang! Matt is gettin real good!!!! who had a beadroller again?... ;)

18. sy1356

sy1356

Thanks for the info. Sorry, I did not intend to start any drama in your build thread.

19. Tommy R

Tommy R

Hey Rob, how's the thumb? Hope everything went well yesterday...

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

Enjoy following your build, tunnel / floor work looks great. Bummer about your hand, hope they get ya fixed up as good as new.

21. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Great thread!
    , subscribed

Good luck with your hand, I caught the top of my index finger with the cut off wheel a couple of months ago...but i was lucky it didnt go too deep.

22. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

No drama bro, its all good. were all buds.

23. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Hey Rob,
    I stumbled onto this thread a couple hours ago..I'm diggin it! I recently got a frame and what looks to be all the same stuff you have from our good buddy Eric... The only snafuu I had was with the shipping company.. After it was delivered to the depot , some ass clown loaded it back on another truck and sent it back to Denver.. That was a week wasted looking at flea-bay.. Today its raining..any great thread!

24. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

I've used that pain relief method often..:eek:

25. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Looking good man! Well, not the thumb part, thats a bummer. Thanks for all the detailed pictures and descriptions. Hope you get healed up nice and quick so you can get back to it! Im subscribing now!

26. badgeree

badgeree

Just stumbled on this thread. Doin' a great job and it's lookin' real good so far. Bummer about the injury, hope it's better real soon. Another Model A brought back to life, is indeed a good thing.

27. Uhhh... By my calcs it's been 6 weeks. Ready for more....
    Just jokin', great thread, nice build.
    Now get to work!

28. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Your right about that Crminal!
    I am realatively healed and should by all accounts be back in the garage.
    With the injury, the holidays and a new scooter I picked up last month the coupe has been getting neglected.

But with HAMB as my witness "I will Build again!!!!"
    THanks for the interest and stay tuned for an update.

Rob

29. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I'm taking off 2 week over the holidays.... lets plan another dat to finish those floors man...

30. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Some cool pics of the coupe Hazmat took on his phone. He has an app for that.

Attached Files: