Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Hot Wiring a '49 Mercury Overdrive Tranny ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheFrenZ, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jonnycola

jonnycola

I'm having an issue with mine all of a sudden.... it's a 51 merc if that makes any differance.

It was working just fine tonight... I pulled into someone's driveway and I heard a scrape, thought nothing of it...

when I left, I got out of the city, pulled over to engage the overdrive, it went to freewheel just fine, but when I got up to speed in 3rd gear, I let off the gas as I've done many many times, and it never kicked into overdrive.

However, when it gets above 28mph, I hear the click on the tranny, and it PINS the amp gauge on discharge.

I haven't been able to get underneath to see if I fucked up a wire, or caught the solenoid on the driveway or something....

Any idea of what it could be?

2. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Jonny cola sounds like a hot-wire is grounding out. Hopefully anyway!
    TP

3. also a few other things, most of the stuff is interchangeable (like solenoids, govenors even between 6v and 12v), but no one makes them new (so ebay, early ford in san dimas, swapmeet...), the cable and kick down switch is all you'll find new. the o/d book i have says NOT to use regular gear oil in it (esp not hypoid), use 40w engine oil.

4. sounds like you yanked a wire off or messed up the solenoid/govener.....i would bet on a wire.

5. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Thanks 1oldtimer ! My manual says tranny and overdrive require SAE 80 and SAE 90 for harder driving conditions in hotter climates.Never ever rear axle hypoid oil ! I filled my tranny with fresh SAE 80 last Tuesday and the "ticking" is gone.Overdrive works flawlessly now,couldn't be more happy !

And another thing on solenoids.I heard the 12V solenoids have one orange and one blue wire,with bullet terminals on cable ends,coming out of the solenoid whereas the 6V solenoids have the "regular" terminals with studs and nuts like my car has too.So now I operate a 6V solenoid with 12V,same with the starter.Anyone sees a problem ? Thanks.

6. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Been running 6V starter and OD solenoid 12 years with no problems Tom.

(I'd like to see a pic of your smile the first time the OD worked)

Jim

7. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Thanks Jim ! I didn't smile at all...I rather was sittin' there with an open mouth and couldn't believe it.The smile came later when I parked the car ! Man...that damn old car makes me happy like nothing before.

8. strohmdl

strohmdl

I'm "hot wiring" an R 10 unit in my '28 Sport Coupe. Still using 6volt positive ground. I have the proper 6volt solenoid, does anyone have a recommendation for which relay I should use?