Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hot rod hood sides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead 37, Feb 28, 2015.

1. flathead 37

flathead 37

So im building a 1937 ford pickup and I have been debating whether I should go with or without hood sides. it has a flathead with aluminum heads and a really cool dual carb intake. I recessed the battery box so that it doesn't interfere with the view of the motor so much. I put on the fenders and the hood without the sides and I don't know if I like it. I also don't know how im gonna latch the good without the sides. but I really like the idea of the flathead being visible. I could cut the louvers out of the hood? any input?

2. pics please

3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

What Tedley said!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. We used a hood top from Speedway for our roadster.

Attached a metal square tube along each side of the hood just above the "lip" and hidden from view. Then added in a couple cross members from the same material to give the thing rigidity - one towards the back of the hood and one near the front. None of this "frame" shows until you stick your head under the hood. Added a sliding door lock bolt from the hardware store on each side of the back (trailing) edge of this hood frame. Each of these two bolts slide into a corresponding hole in the firewall.

For the front, we cut a screen door spring (each side cut to about 7-9") attached to each side of this hood frame. Each spring has 2" hook attached on the end. Each spring pulls down and hooks to a hook we welded to the bracket on the back of the radiator used to support an electric fan. Springs are up close to the radiator and mostly out of sight.

Hood removal is easy now. Before this, we used the classic "bailing wire" hold downs. No longer a chore to remove the hood to add water and etc. Most of this is hidden from view.
    Should work with a metal or fiberglass hood top.

All done with parts from the local hardware store. Under $15.00.

5. Hot Rod Leather has some nice straps to hold the hood top so you can see that flatty.

6. flathead 37

flathead 37

here is some pictures of the front portion of the truck and one of the hood sides. I just don't think it looks all that proportional without the hood sides but I want my flathead to be seen

Attached Files:

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I'll give you something to think about. I have a friend that once owned a '37 Sedan. The car ran great and one day he decided to remove the hood sides. The car ran hot from then on. He put the hood sides back on and the overheating went away. He was told that the air hitting the firewall and caused a positive pressure behind the radiator prevented maximum air from going thru the radiator. Anyone else have this happen?

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. I think it would look best with the hood sides. Open the hood when you want to show off the flatty.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

First of all, cool looking truck. I am partial to hood sides so my vote goes there. I have heard stories about the lack of hood sides disrupting air flow through the radiator but don't know how common that really is. Your truck, your way.

10. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

If you go without sides I would use these to hold it down. Weld them to the inside, and done.
    [​IMG]

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Put the hood sides on for flexabilty.
    You know, hood sides on at Bonneville and off at the GNRS.
    Great looking truck!

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. flathead 37

flathead 37

has anyone ever seen where they cut a portion out of the hood side? i cant find any pictures but i saw it once on a 34 ford 2 door at a local car show and it looked really good

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ran them without on my 37 for years. No heat problem on my end.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  14. petejoe just screwed up the whole thread with the pic of his, leave them off!!! It does look more complete with them however. I went through this with my cabrio. Tim

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don't quite understand tim, I am on your side. :)
    I took my pics out,
    One thing great about these sides. You can add them any time you want.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  16. What's more important, a good looking truck or announcing to the world that you have an engine?

17. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Definitely needs hood sides.............

18. hood sides, so it looks finished.

19. Don West

Don West

Shows an awful lot of cowl with them off . 1 vote for hood sides.

20. I think full fendered = hood.

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. flathead 37

flathead 37

couple examples

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. I love it when the guy next to me at the light is mesmerized by the activity under the hood! I like hood sides hanging on the wall. No cooling problem.

23. My buddy has a 37, that I keep detailed for him.
    He had the same problem, with or without.
    He decided to keep the sides on, and I like it better like this, but i don't know why you don't just set it up to run it both ways. Get two hoods, one with sides attached, one without. Before taking the truck out, decide on how you want it to look that day, quick swap, and your on your way.
    Funny, I went to my buddies today to get pics of his 37, and he wasn't home.
    Its all original, with a slightly dressed flatty, and original patina.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

The BEST looking grille on a Ford pickup needs FULL HOOD SIDES. All cars and trucks need FULL HOODS unless you want to play East Coast Modified Stock Car driver. While we're at it open hoods at car shows just looks stupid IMO. Bob

X38 likes this.
  25. flathead 37

flathead 37

26. Nothing wrong with keeping them on for a while.......and removing them for a while as well. I think the nose on my coupe is a little long('36 chevy) and thought that removing the sides would visually shrink it down a bit......but I'm on the fence too

27. My 34 chev , big block coupe , ran hot (not a bad thing 180) but never ever boiled over or went above
    180 with no hood sides .
    Put the hood sides on last year for a different look and the temp gauge dropped 15 degrees 165
    I run a 180 thermostat

28. Got a couple of pics of my wrecker Buddy's truck yesterday for you. IMG_20150306_111943.jpg IMG_20150306_112038.jpg

tb33anda3rd likes this.